Has anyone sued in small claims court before? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has anyone sued in small claims court before?

You may submit a claim with the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) if you meet all of these conditions:

• your vehicle was damaged on a road maintained by the province
  • the provincial government is responsible for the damage because the road was not maintained to a reasonable standard
  • the claim is submitted within 10 days of the incident

Yep, did all that. Filed the claim 3 days after the accident.

Took from August 2020 until February 2022 for them to rule against us.

Hence the lawsuit.

Haven't heard anything back yet as expected, but wondering if we will before the end of the week - today was the first business day so I'm sure the provinces lawyers put eyes on it today.

Haven't heard anything back yet as expected, but wondering if we will before the end of the week - today was the first business day so I'm sure the provinces lawyers put eyes on it today.
You have far too much faith in the speed of governance.

You have far too much faith in the speed of governance.

They have 20 days to respond to a served lawsuit otherwise we win in default.

And not business days…20 days.

I’m confident this is the fastest moving branch of government lol.

They have 20 days to respond to a served lawsuit otherwise we win in default.

And not business days…20 days.

I’m confident this is the fastest moving branch of government lol.
we'll see!

🍿

I’ll email Douggie lol

All the best @PrivatePilot ! Following.

You may submit a claim with the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) if you meet all of these conditions:

• your vehicle was damaged on a road maintained by the province
  • the provincial government is responsible for the damage because the road was not maintained to a reasonable standard
  • the claim is submitted within 10 days of the incident
An acquaintance has had 3 tires changed and 1 bent rim because of the road conditions. North York around Sheppard. I told him to stay away from Lawrence and Eglington lol. He raised a claim every single time and he hasn't heard back anything (as per our last convo a few months back).

All the best @PrivatePilot ! Following.

An acquaintance has had 3 tires changed and 1 bent rim because of the road conditions. North York around Sheppard. I told him to stay away from Lawrence and Eglington lol. He raised a claim every single time and he hasn't heard back anything (as per our last convo a few months back).

Statute of limitations is 2 years after the loss. But like I said, it took 16 months for them to make a decision on our claim, and then they apparently sent it to us by email and it was lost in a spam folder or something as we never saw it. It was only when we started inquiring again (knowing the 2 years was approaching) that we were told it had been sent this past February, and we got another copy sent to us.

If he hasn’t heard anything and it’s under 2 years, well, he can go down the same path we are. But after 2 years, it’s a dead deal.

Statute of limitations is 2 years after the loss. But like I said, it took 16 months for them to make a decision on our claim, and then they apparently sent it to us by email and it was lost in a spam folder or something as we never saw it. It was only when we started inquiring again (knowing the 2 years was approaching) that we were told it had been sent this past February, and we got another copy sent to us.

If he hasn’t heard anything and it’s under 2 years, well, he can go down the same path we are. But after 2 years, it’s a dead deal.
Toronto normally proudly publishes stats every year. IIRC something like three or four digits of claimants and normally really close to zero payments. They have an extra layer to protect them. Something like they need to have been informed at least 10 business days of the dangerous condition prior to your accident date to give them time to fix it. If they haven't been notified and had time to fix it, it's not negligence on their part it's failure to pay attention by the driver.

Last edited:
Something like they need to have been informed at least 10 business days of the dangerous condition prior to your accident date to give them time to fix it.

I'm pretty sure the province has the exact same thing.

But i court I will ask the crown to provide the inspection reports from the third party maintenance contractor on which our initial claim was denied, and will want to see exactly what was recorded with regards to road conditions, and most importantly, when.

Because I have photos that will make a hell of a case before a judge that the specific issue that caused the crash didn't exactly happen overnight.
There was a very serious negligence situation happening, and if the provinces lawyer stands there in front of me and shows inspection reports indicating that the road was all fine and dandy for the days and weeks leading up to this, and then suddenly caused a crash, and then was suddenly repaired within 48 hours of the accident.....while, I'm pretty sure I might be able to raise some reasonable doubt to the judge on the legitimacy of those third party inspections.

But this is what happens when road maintenace and upkeep is farmed out to the lowest bidders.

So....response came in today.

As expected, when it comes to getting sued, the government moves very fast.

The response itself is...complicated, but just procedural at this point. I'll reserve discussion for now.

I believe it's 2 years from the date they deny your claim. Sounds like that doesn't matter if your already filed.

Too bad the claim isn't made to JT's feds... I think they just write checks for claim less than $10m

Gets tiresome Mike. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

- She wasn't charged. The OPP officer that attended said it was road conditions. We will be filing to get a copy of the police report in which this is hopefully documented.
As I found out the hard way the police report will useless unless the officer that wrote it is present.

As I found out the hard way the police report will useless unless the officer that wrote it is present.
That is just stupid.

A police officer is a person of authority therefore any notes that he wrote should be taken as such and trusted that he wrote them.

Not the janitor at the police station.

What is the point of writing and providing notes if they cannot be used.

I get that there is a good reasoning for this but it just seems absurd.

I'm sure one of you will chime in with the actually reasoning for this..

In a HTA ticket situation, perhaps.

In a lawsuit, it becomes just another piece of evidence that can be submitted to the judge as I understand it. It's the judges choice what to do with it at that point.

We purchased the "certified" version of the report so it's valid as evidence. The crown can't say it's not legitimate or whatever.

Last edited:
In a HTA ticket situation, perhaps.

In a lawsuit, it becomes just another piece of evidence that can be submitted to the judge as I understand it. It's the judges choice what to do with it at that point.

We purchased the "certified" version of the report so it's valid as evidence. The crown can't say it's not legitimate or whatever.
In my small claims case (non HTA ticket) the judge refused to look at it. I would double check.

Back
Top Bottom