Harley Davidson Leather "Motorclothes" - Fashion or Function? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harley Davidson Leather "Motorclothes" - Fashion or Function?

HayleyDavidson

Hi everyone!

I’d like to get the opinions of some other riders on this topic, both sport bike riders and cruiser lovers alike!

I started my riding journey on sport bikes in which I was a massive Safety Sally during my early years, going AGATT and gradually wearing less as I became more comfortable and experienced.

Then I entered the world of cruiser motorcycles, Harleys to be exact and noticed that I was kinda expected to change my wardrobe a little bit.

I went from wearing textile jackets with plastic armor and proper vents, kevlar jeans and riding gloves with knuckle protectors, etc. to just basic leather gear like chaps, jackets, gloves and pants. Most of which is made by HD.

After seeing a few slides I’m starting to have some reservations about the choice of clothing in some cruiser circles, especially the stuff stamped “Harley Davidson”, namely all of their leather items.

I have plenty of HD leather jackets, pants, a few pairs of chaps and even a pair of gloves. All of which keep me plenty warm, but I’m not quite sure after witnessing some road rash just how well these would hold up against asphalt in a slide.

All my HD leathers have just basic polyester or satin for lining (which is bad for sweat compared to mesh lining), no vents for air flow and nor armor or pockets to add it. Same can be said for my leather pants, in addition to metal accessories sticking out all over which I was told by some sport bike buddies may stick me in the event of a crash.

There’s nothing to distinguish these leather items from any other fashion (non-motorcycle) leather clothing that you would buy elsewhere, other than the fact they have “HD” or “Motorclothes” stamped into them.

All this has me thinking that Harley Davidson is more concerned about marketing and selling the whole biker “lifestyle” image than actual safety.

What do you guys think?

Am I good to go in these or would it be wiser to revert back to my old textile armored and kevlar gear for riding and save these leathers for a rock concert or casual dealership function?
75435802_2740206662656554_298506867091439616_n.jpgHarley Davidson Women's  Cheyenne Leather Jacket (14).jpgHarley Davidson Women's  Cheyenne Leather Pants (9).jpgHarley Davidson Women's  Cheyenne Leather Pants (9).jpgHD Leather Pants C (2).jpgHD Leather Pants C (8).jpgIMG_7446__z9c6mM.jpg

You've pretty much got it nailed. For protection you want thick with pieces connected together or large overlap. For fashion you want thin leather and minimal overlap. HD is normally form before function. That's their whole philosophy.

Harley has a line of gear tagged FXRG for their top line for both men and women.

Usually weatherproof and has removable armour. It does get expensive.

Most HD riders I know avoid the labels and stick with good gear. Many ride even ride with FF helmets etc.

I’ve had HD jackets that were decent protection and comfortable.

I’ve switched to lighter colors and admittedly less protective mesh with armour. You just cook in black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of it is good for riding, and some of it is ~"Danier".

I ride a Harley and I wear Dainese and Bristol leather gear. I prefer not to be covered head to toe in HD branded stuff, but I do like my leather protection. i have a pair of Harley boots however, and they are as good quality as any other boots I’ve owned. Let’s just say a lot of HD stuff is fashion-minded but they do make some solid leathers if you know what to look for and like the logos.

I prefer not to be covered head to toe in HD branded stuff

Harley wants to have a word with you out back.
That is how they make a huge part of their profit, after all. ;)

Anyhow, OP....IMHO there are better options out there so far as going all HD branded stuff "just because". Yes, they make some good stuff, and they make some iffy stuff.

If you were "kinda expected" to change your riding gear (in your own words) to all Harley branded stuff, honestly, you might be riding with the wrong crowd. Join an RC if you're looking for a social circle of riding friends and you'll quickly find yourself in your target cruiser segment, but not in the exclusively Harley rider segment. Then you can wear whatever you please without much or any judgement at all - It will not be out of the ordinary to find guys on cruisers in full textile gear with FF helmets, and others in generic leather, and others in just Tshirts and jeans...but the thing with many RC's is that you can do you without judgement.

Personally, I don't get the insane level of brand loyalty some people have to HD. It's good for their bottom line, but when every single piece of clothing and your cars and your truck and your motorycycle trailer and your house and your socks and your underwear and your toolbox and your wallet (etc etc etc) all have the HD logo somewhere, well, it's a bit much IMHO. But to each their own. I used to have the Cessna logo on my car and a few Tshirts at one point LOL.

Over the years I've owned and ridden multiple brands. I go with what serves my needs and desires best at the time, and yes, that I like the looks of, but that's where the loyalty ends. Last bike was a Honda, current one is a Kawasaki...next one I'm drooling over is a Yamaha again. But you won't find me covered heat to toe in brand names along the way.

No one should tell you what to wear. Even more so if what they are suggesting is only based on fashion.

Wear what you feel is safest and most comfortable for you.

I do not have any HD clothing, but from what I have seen I would think that functionality or safety is of least importance to them when designing
their gear.

Don't feel pressured by the HD diehards. You are no less of a rider if you wear non HD branded gear.

OP - does your Harley or textile gear have armour?

I have a pair of Kevlar jeans and they need armour in the knee & hip pockets to get a better rating.

Yes, my textile jacket is armored. My older Vanson leather jacket is also much heavier than any of the Harley stuff and is made of horsehide. I can't even bend the arms to fold it. None of the Harley leather has armour, vents or textile/mesh lining hence why I'm thinking it's made for fashion wear and not riding.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Looks like I'll be using my textile armored jacket or vintage Vanson leather jacket when cruising and will save the HD leather for off the bike and instead I'll wear it at the bar haha.

Harley makes plenty of armored gear and vented leather jackets,they also make jackets without the huge Harley logos.

Something to consider , some of the Harley logos, like the shield logo are no longer protected trademakes, Harley like the exposure of the brand on EVERYTHING so dont be surprised if you find some HD branded merch that is crap, its quite possible its not "Harley gear"

As a HD rider I never had any interest in HD branded gear. I highly doubt any HD rider cares if you wear HD or not.
As stated above there are millions of pieces of fake HD gear out there so choose wisely.

Back
Top Bottom