Harbor Freight and Shippsy | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harbor Freight and Shippsy

I have a US dollar checking acct. and a US dollar credit card. I usually wait until the dollar is doing relatively well to transfer money from my CAN acct. to the US one.

Who are you negotiating a CAN to US dollar transaction with that would give you 2 points better than the standard bank rates? I spoke to my bank about better than standard rates and they said that you'd have to be converting 10's of thousands of dollars to get a break.
Amazon.ca credit card used to be good with rates. They killed the card a few years ago.

For cdn to usd I use Xe.com

I have a US dollar checking acct. and a US dollar credit card. I usually wait until the dollar is doing relatively well to transfer money from my CAN acct. to the US one.

Who are you negotiating a CAN to US dollar transaction with that would give you 2 points better than the standard bank rates? I spoke to my bank about better than standard rates and they said that you'd have to be converting 10's of thousands of dollars to get a break.
I have been using a company called E bury. I purchase product in Miami weekly (flowers) and have to pay them monthly. It is in the 10's of thousands monthly.

Hahaha. Using shippsy to try to bring in some plumbing parts. Total value ~250 USD, approximately half of that made in USA. They don't have a category that fits so I need to pick "other" on the shippsy importation documentation. To get it in, I need to approve the maximum duty and taxes that may be applicable and then they charge me what CBSA decides is due.
  • $6.99 Shippsy Fee
  • $0.91 Tax
  • $3690.76 Duty
  • $522.46 VAT
  • $4221.12 Total
Holy frack. Presumably tax and duty will be a few bucks but authorizing a $4000 import charge scares the crap out of me.

Package arrived at shippsy US ~27 hours before it showed up in their system for me to submit paperwork.

Yeah I just used Shippsy as well. The CBSA Vat (tax) caught me off guard a bit (no where close to your order @GreyGhost ). No other taxes because it wasn't made in NA, but if this is still the case might have to re-think this supply.

BTW the Gov CBSA has a duty/tax estimator on thier website if you want to try it before bringing something cross boarder.

Yeah I just used Shippsy as well. The CBSA Vat (tax) caught me off guard a bit (no where close to your order @GreyGhost ). No other taxes because it wasn't made in NA, but if this is still the case might have to re-think this supply.

BTW the Gov CBSA has a duty/tax estimator on thier website if you want to try it before bringing something cross boarder.
The shocking part is the made in US parts may get <$20USD tax and no duty. The $4720 is for ~$150 worth of parts. What catches a 3100% duty? Yikes. That's as bad as insurance companies blacklisting sportbikes.

Methinks someone somewhere fat fingered a button when entering values or something. There's nothing that has that sort of tax rate.

Yeah, gotta be something on their end is what I meant.

Did you call them and ask for an explanation?
No, rolled the dice. I'm not too concerned that the CBSA will stick an 11 lb box with four common things in it with a $4000 bill. I may follow up with shippsy after and ask them how their guess and reality were off by a few orders of magnitude.

I'd be on the horn with them the second I saw that before it got to some potential point of no return or something where they decide destroying your items at customs is the solution since you "refused" to pay the related fees.

It is government afterall. Stranger things have happened.

Hahaha. Using shippsy to try to bring in some plumbing parts. Total value ~250 USD, approximately half of that made in USA. They don't have a category that fits so I need to pick "other" on the shippsy importation documentation. To get it in, I need to approve the maximum duty and taxes that may be applicable and then they charge me what CBSA decides is due.
  • $6.99 Shippsy Fee
  • $0.91 Tax
  • $3690.76 Duty
  • $522.46 VAT
  • $4221.12 Total
Holy frack. Presumably tax and duty will be a few bucks but authorizing a $4000 import charge scares the crap out of me.

Package arrived at shippsy US ~27 hours before it showed up in their system for me to submit paperwork.
FInal numbers are in. Shippsy took five days to get it from NY to Mississauga.

• $6.99 Shippsy Fee
  • $0.91 Tax
  • $0 Duty
  • $38.53 VAT
  • $46.43 Total
As expected the worst-case estimate was off by two orders of magnitude. Tried to buy locally with little luck so bought from the US for ~half price (retail pricing in US is substantially below wholesale pricing in canada. Obviously plus a drive to Mississauga to pick it up. Shippsy would have shipped it for a ~22 handling fee and ~22 shipping fee.

Last edited:
Pickup was pretty painless. Sign on building says stallion transport not shippsy. Office under construction, pickup at rear. No line. Big GS parked out front and tu250 and tuono parked out back so at least a few riders work there.

I've used them several times now. The new Mississauga location is an improvement over the previous one.

Back
Top Bottom