H7 LED BULBS | GTAMotorcycle.com

H7 LED BULBS

ToSlow

Site Supporter
Looking for info on a set of decent H7 bulbs that will fit my 2017 versys 1000. It has double bulbs and most of the lights I'm looking at say low beam on the ads. Can someone with some in site please post up if H7 work on both high and low beam?

H7 is single filament.
H4 is dual filament available in varying wattages.
You'll need different sockets and make some wiring changes.

On the Versys, both high and low beams are 55W H7s. What makes the high beam a high beam is that the bulb and reflector are aimed higher than the low beam.

My old R1200GS ran H7 bulbs (low and high beam). That bike's electrical system burned through the Canadian Tire Sylvania Silverstars every 15K kms like clockwork. When I ponied up for the OEM BMW H7s, those lasted twice as long. Same wattage and everything... You get what you pay for, apparently... 🤷‍♂️

I just noticed on your title you mentioned LED. Did you really mean LED or Halogen? Stock Versys is Halogen. LED requires a conversion to the housing.
LED. Ive seen some H7 led direct fit. Some have no fan on them

Never heard of those. The ones mentioned on ADVRider quite a bit is ADVMonster which have quite a large base compared to the stock halogens:

h7pluscomparo__39653.1568124339.1280.1280.jpg

Just read some reviews on ADVmonster. Not good

90% of LED bulbs intended for retrofit to halogen housings are complete rubbish. 90% of what's left are okay but no better than stock halogen bulbs. The 1% that really are better, are hard to find and your results may be dependent on the reflectors/projectors in your specific vehicle (one particular brand/type may work well in one vehicle but not in another due to differences in the optics of the reflectors/projectors).

I have LED retrofits in a couple of vehicles. The FZR400 has two headlights but the OEM bulbs are H1 35w (same shape as H4 but lower power) and the OEM headlights are about as effective as holding a couple of candles out in front of the bike (and the optics of the reflector are terrible). I have the Advmonster LEDs in that bike. The beam pattern remains terrible, especially on high beam (changing the bulb can't fix a trash reflector design) but there's significantly more light output to the extent that it's now reasonably pleasant to ride at night.

My ZX10R and my car have these: H7: Xtreme LED Pro Fog Light Bulbs | Xenon Depot XD.LED060

I notice that they now have a disclaimer saying that they're legal for fog-lamp usage only ... that's new. That wasn't there a couple of years ago. Performance-wise, these bulbs work well in the ZX10R (reflector housing) but ho-hum in my car (projector housing - still better than another brand that I tried). BUT. I withdraw my recommendation for these. In both cases, the LEDs on one side of the bulb stopped working after a year or two. For the ZX10R I've left it like this, because it's still about as good as the stock headlight was, and high beam (still working correctly) is still good. For my car, eventually one of them stopped working completely, and I switched back to a previously-tried bulb ... and it's rubbish (that's why I originally replaced them). In the case of the car, I'm still sticking with the LEDs until winter sets in and I have to spend significant time driving at night. Then it's going back to stock halogen. The motivation for LED with the car is that the expensive body control module has a known issue with relays sticking resulting the headlamps becoming stuck on. LED has less current draw, less inrush current, and less inductive "kick" when switching off ... should be easier on the relays.

So ... Mixed results. Your mileage may vary.

I put a set of SEALIGHT led bulbs in my car to replace the weak halogens, 15k later and they are still working great. No mods needed, direct plug and play.

Link for the H11 I used, I don't see them as an H7 option but there are other brands that look identical on amazon in that size.
SEALIGHT H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Bulbs, 12000 Lumens Low Beam LED Bulbs, 6000K Bright White, Halogen Replacement https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079KB7QX3...t_i_Z3SJKP98AN65FR2J7S7V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Something to note, I put them in a projector housing, which are preferred for LED or HID aftermarket bulbs, using them in a non projector housing won't give great results as the light scatters in them. YMMV.

Waste of money putting a LED bulb in a reflector housing designed for halogen

Waste of money putting a LED bulb in a reflector housing designed for halogen
Yes, the reflector used with a halogen bulb is designed for more or less a "360 degree output" of light from the bulb. LED's don't really do that. Some are better than others due to having tghe LEDs placed all the way around the "center post" . I upgraded my crappy looking yellowish halogen daytime running lights on my Acura to LED. The light output pattern as viewed from the front is a little wonky-looking and depends very much on the angle you are viewing from....but as DTR's they do the trick and the color is much better.

I put a set of SEALIGHT led bulbs in my car to replace the weak halogens, 15k later and they are still working great. No mods needed, direct plug and play.

Link for the H11 I used, I don't see them as an H7 option but there are other brands that look identical on amazon in that size.
SEALIGHT H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Bulbs, 12000 Lumens Low Beam LED Bulbs, 6000K Bright White, Halogen Replacement https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079KB7QX3...t_i_Z3SJKP98AN65FR2J7S7V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Something to note, I put them in a projector housing, which are preferred for LED or HID aftermarket bulbs, using them in a non projector housing won't give great results as the light scatters in them. YMMV.

Those look really similar to the ones that are terrible in my car (also H11, also projector housings). None of these LED bulbs emit light in the exact same pattern as a halogen bulb - there will always be a dark spot to either side aligned with the blade. If the alignment of that dark spot happens to be critical to the way your reflector/projector works ...

I'm convinced that there are about three or four places that make these things and they each sell them under a hundred brand names with different colours, maybe a slightly different shape to the heat sink, etc.

YMMV indeed.

The important part about switching to LED is that you get one where the LED's are located a short distance from the tip in the same location as the incandescent filament on a standard bulb. That's what the reflectors are designed for. There's a video out there that somewhat describes this, even though it's self-serving SPAM.

Back
Top Bottom