H-Ds 2021 fourth quarter financial analysis | GTAMotorcycle.com

H-Ds 2021 fourth quarter financial analysis

Help me read this right - they're patting themselves on the back because they didn't lose as much money as expected (compared to 2019) ?

But don't they have the best selling adventure bike of all time? Their financials should be looking more like a tech company than an old dinosaur.

I think so. That and they would be better off if livewire wasn't sucking out millions.

Help me read this right - they're patting themselves on the back because they didn't lose as much money as expected (compared to 2019) ?

Those are pretty good numbers, I hope they keep it up. The important things to note are increased sales, increased profits and a strong forecast.

In 2021 HOG kicked the snot out of BMW and KTM in the North American big ADV segment -- not too shabby for a first release bike -- PAN AM sold out in 5 mos, in that time they sold more bikes in the US/Canada than BMW AND KTM did in the 12 mos of 2021.

They are setup to repeat based on booked orders.

I bought a bunch of HOG stock last year after the launch of the PAN AM. My goal is simple -- if the stock hits $60 I can sell it and use the profits to buy a PAN AM. Hopefully by 2023.

Or you could buy a new KLR for yourself and two friends.

Edit: You could probably buy them some gas too with the money you saved by not buying a pirate costume.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of HOG stock last year after the launch of the PAN AM. My goal is simple -- if the stock hits $60 I can sell it and use the profits to buy a PAN AM. Hopefully by 2023.

You are wayyyyy more optimistic than me lol.

I saw it dip to $35 about a month back, and knowing they had a new model launch coming soon, I bought that dip.
New model announcement stuck, decided to wait for the earnings announcement.
Sold just under $40 the next day for a quick 11% ROI.

In hindsight if I waited a few more days that could have been a 22% return, but I was happy enough to cash out because I don't really have strong faith in that brand.

You have to look at the revenue growth and EPS but more important their balance sheet especially if inflation goes up how will they be effected do they have a lot of liabilities. Their earnings wont matter so much if they owe a ton of money. I haven't looked at their health personally though so best to do some research.

sold to end users or loaded up the dealers?

You can't find a Pan Am on a showroom floor these days. Even the other models are in short supply.

I know you folks are cheering for Harley Davidson's demise, but it isn't going to happen in your lifetime. They're the world's greatest motorcycles.

You can't find a Pan Am on a showroom floor these days. Even the other models are in short supply.

I know you folks are cheering for Harley Davidson's demise, but it isn't going to happen in your lifetime. They're the world's greatest motorcycles.
Did you ever see a Pan Am on the road last year, except for maybe on a demo ride ? I didn't...
I'm not cheering for H-Ds demise, but the corporate spin on 2021 is a tough one to swallow.

Did you ever see a Pan Am on the road last year, except for maybe on a demo ride ? I didn't...
I'm not cheering for H-Ds demise, but the corporate spin on 2021 is a tough one to swallow.
Yup, saw more than one out there and chatted with one of the owners who really liked it.

Pulled up beside one at a light this fall. Only the on e though.....

Reactions: TK4
Yes, saw three or four of them. They can't make enough because of the semiconductor shortage. All manufacturers are in the same boat on that.

Reactions: TK4

I think people want harley to succeed

but they're so easy to make fun of, like trudeau, or millenials, or boomers, its hard to resist

Harley knows how to survive, they have been thru far tougher times.

I've seen a couple of PanAm bikes on the road, haven't spoken to an owner.

What is important to note is their foray into heavy ADVs was well-planned and executed. BMW and KTM owned this market, in HDs first year they outsold both the GS1250 and KTM1290 in North America.

They sold out in Europe too, but didn't allocate nany bikes to them. 2022 may still have supply chain issues that limit exports to Europe, be interesting to see how well they do overthere.

Harley knows how to survive, they have been thru far tougher times.

I've seen a couple of PanAm bikes on the road, haven't spoken to an owner.

What is important to note is their foray into heavy ADVs was well-planned and executed. BMW and KTM owned this market, in HDs first year they outsold both the GS1250 and KTM1290 in North America.

They sold out in Europe too, but didn't allocate nany bikes to them. 2022 may still have supply chain issues that limit exports to Europe, be interesting to see how well they do overthere.
Their sales of the Pan Am are impressive, and by all measures it seems to be a good bike and you can't argue the success.

But to trumpet that they outsold KTM, who didn't bring a 2021 1290 Adventure to the market is a bit precious. I expect BMW inventories were short too resulting in lower sales.

Everybody does it in their corporate shareholder press releases.

The PanAm is a great bike. But first year model sales of a new bike that get a lot of press always sell out. The R1250GS is 3 years old and the 1290 Super Adventure R is 5 years old. Everyone wants to dance with the new girl.

If they make enough of them, I think the DesertX will probably be the best seller ADV of 2022. Then the next year it'll be something else.

They all get their turn in the spotlight. All the manufacturers probably collude to stagger the introduction of their models so they don't cannibalize sales from each other. Like movie releases - all the blockbusters don't all premiere on the same weekend.

Last edited:
Their sales of the Pan Am are impressive, and by all measures it seems to be a good bike and you can't argue the success.

But to trumpet that they outsold KTM, who didn't bring a 2021 1290 Adventure to the market is a bit precious. I expect BMW inventories were short too resulting in lower sales.

Everybody does it in their corporate shareholder press releases.

He pulled a mad mike again.

1645397574414.png

When i buy a street bike, i need to know that i can get parts and service.I put a deposit on a PanAm with the knowledge that HD dealers are everywhere. After a few months of unanswered phone calls, text messages and emails with no answers. I gave up and bought the Yamaha Super Tenere. I'm sure that i would have been able to get service and parts of needed. But first impressions mean a lot. No thanks Harley Davidson.

When i buy a street bike, i need to know that i can get parts and service.I put a deposit on a PanAm with the knowledge that HD dealers are everywhere. After a few months of unanswered phone calls, text messages and emails with no answers. I gave up and bought the Yamaha Super Tenere. I'm sure that i would have been able to get service and parts of needed. But first impressions mean a lot. No thanks Harley Davidson.

To be fair, most dealerships aren't calling their customers back for anything these days. In this low-inventory climate, every dealer will sell every single bike on their showroom *plus* whatever's allocated in their pipeline without even trying.

I told the local Duc dealership in town that I was interested in a Hyper at the end of last summer. They never called me back. So I eventually went to an out-of-town dealer who was hungrier for my business. I had absolutely no problem paying them extra gas money to have the bike delivered to me.

I doubt the local dealer cares one iota that I went out of town.

But it matters to me.

Back
Top Bottom