Great Roads in Durham region - Please HELP! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Great Roads in Durham region - Please HELP!

Major

Site Supporter
I've reviewed all the threads here about the great riding roads in Ontario and clicked on some of the links and checked out the websites. But I cannot find any really good riding roads in and around Durham Ontario. Does anyone have good roads around Pickering, Ajax, Whitby & Oshawa?

Any help will really be appreciated because I like to go for a ride everyday and getting bored with the grid.

What type of roads are you looking for, twisties or scenic?

Curvy roads are very limited in Durham region.

Best I've found, but it's a bit of a ride to the starting point (starts in Newcastle):

http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Port-Hope-Backroads

I also still have rode the 'north' section leading out of Port Hope -- Just to Port Hope and back. Used it to pretty much break in the CBR, since I could always vary my speed/RPMs, and traffic was light (more bikes than anything else).

What type of roads are you looking for, twisties or scenic?

Curvy roads are very limited in Durham region.

Hi Jayv, looking for the twisties, but scenic is okay as well. I've driven up to Haugen's a few times and done it via Simcoe and Brock St.

Best I've found, but it's a bit of a ride to the starting point (starts in Newcastle):

I also still have rode the 'north' section leading out of Port Hope -- Just to Port Hope and back. Used it to pretty much break in the CBR, since I could always vary my speed/RPMs, and traffic was light (more bikes than anything else).

Thanks for this conundrum. I have done this route once before, but haven't done it in ages. Gotta do it again.

Twyn Rivers in Pickering. It's really short and tight but the only entertaining road I can think of in Durham. Lakedriveway in south Ajax is an ok ride for the lake view but it's residential and straight line.

*secret road*

I don`t know how to transfer a google map here....but I do a route east to Newcastle onto Lakeshore Dr to Port Hope then north up through Millbrook and Cavan to hwy 7 then head back west through Omemee onto Mt. Horeb Rd, a short jaunt south on hwy 35 then west again through Caesarea, down to hwy 57 and west to Port Perry.

I'm new to Pickering - so thanks as well for some of these ideas.

Tittle of this thread is an Oxymoron

I don`t know how to transfer a google map here....but I do a route east to Newcastle onto Lakeshore Dr to Port Hope then north up through Millbrook and Cavan to hwy 7 then head back west through Omemee onto Mt. Horeb Rd, a short jaunt south on hwy 35 then west again through Caesarea, down to hwy 57 and west to Port Perry.

googlemaps.png

Last edited:

I did this route last weekend except in a clockwise loop. It is a nice ride, scenic, has some good sweepers. (My route maps (RIDE with GPS) aren't working so I can't post a link either.)
In Durham and anywhere near the GTA there really is no "great road", but there is nice sections of numerous roads that when pieced together can make for an enjoyable day. Google Maps is your friend.
I often head out for a few hours from Stouffville and usually head out towards Durham, maybe soon I will throw out an invite here to see if anyone wishes to join me. Or fire me a PM to stop from cluttering up this thread.

Actually here is the route...Port Hope Loop

Last edited:
It is a convoluted route and it takes you out of Durham and towards Rice lake but if you want scenic, off pavement and some nice turns? Gives you an idea of the roads out in the rice lake area. There and back is about 6 hours.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Whitby,+ON&

And the way back stop at Tyrone mills at Conc7 and Liberty. For a coffee and butter-tart.

http://goo.gl/maps/rhqa7

Last edited:
I did this route last weekend except in a clockwise loop. It is a nice ride, scenic, has some good sweepers. (My route maps (RIDE with GPS) aren't working so I can't post a link either.)
In Durham and anywhere near the GTA there really is no "great road", but there is nice sections of numerous roads that when pieced together can make for an enjoyable day. Google Maps is your friend.
I often head out for a few hours from Stouffville and usually head out towards Durham, maybe soon I will throw out an invite here to see if anyone wishes to join me. Or fire me a PM to stop from cluttering up this thread.

Actually here is the route...Port Hope Loop

I'm still waiting to get your route from hwy 404 to port perry!!!!!!!!!
Hope the knee is all good!

Take your GPS and go exploring. You can never get lost. Other than that, here are a couple of suggestions -

• Lakeridge road going to Keswick and back - sweeping corners and good vistas.
  • Reach Street between Port Perry and Uxbridge.
  • Sideline 4 from Myrtle Road to Uxbridge has some great scenery (hidden ponds, etc.) but it is mostly not paved.
  • Caesarea to Hwy 35 on Golf Course Road.
  • Columbus to Enniskillen on Columbus Road. When you get to the stop sign in Enniskillen, turn left and take Old Scugog Rd up to Blackstock. Return to Port Perry via Hwy 7A
  • Taunton Road (the entire length) east of Bowmanville. Gets a little hilly east of 35/115 - great scenery, though.

There are lots more....just get out and explore.

If you get the opportunity, the north section from Port Hope - Millbrook is very entertaining and scenic. I like to do this route starting in Millbrook and travelling south - riding toward the lake is much more scenic than riding away from it.

Back
Top Bottom