Got my M1 today, Yeah! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got my M1 today, Yeah!

Best advice I can offer you is go to the motorcycle show this weekend and sit on as many models and styles of bikes you can. For the style you like (ie cruiser), be aware of where the foot pegs are and controls and see if you are comfortable with them. There can be a big difference between models and brands so it’s good to understand and feel how they are set up on each bike.

Don’t worry that you’re not shopping for a 2020 model. You’re looking for comfort and style.
Then take that knowledge gained and use it when you are ready to make your first purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will a cowl do the same thing as a windshield? Or is the cowl not high enough?
Key thing to over-come on a street motorcycle is wind, if you are inside the nice comfy zone on a motorcycle that was wind tunnel tested for one-up comfort in a sport touring position :/ you are going to be dry and comfort to ride great distances at high speed with reasonable comfort. That is optimum circumstances, anything short of that represents a wind resistance and elements problem. Fortunately as a brand new rider you don't need incredible range or high speed distance comfort you need a nice easy bike to ride and maintain and get real good riding it, your safety depends on it.

Congrats! you now have the right to pay more taxes and insurance like the rest of us ;)
imho You will ride better faster on the Rebel 500 (y) it has more standard motorcycle ergonomics then a couch-potato cruiser, just as the CBR500 has more standard egos then an Italian crotch rocket and for a beginner that is a good thing.
Ride well and safe this coming ? season.

PS ... if you don't know how to service a carburetor or where to get one fixed free, buy a fuel injection bike.
There's no denying that FI bikes require less maintenance and carbureted bike but in the grand scheme of things, how much maintenance do they really require?
On my 2000 Shadow Ace that I put 100K on, I adjusted the carbs ONLY when I did modifications to the intake and exhaust. Outside of that as far as I can tell it never needed work. Same went for my Katana.

Personally, I recommend FI bikes for simplicity, especially for new riders. But, if price is an issue, there are a lot of carb'd bikes to be had that could be excellent options. The same goes for an ABS option. If you can find a way to get a bike with ABS, go for it.

The reason I bring this up hear (my apoligies for the thread hijack) is because I was speaking with a 'new' rider with 1 year under his belt who's looking to upgrade. I pointed him at DL650's (based on the type of riding he does) and he shot it down because of the carbs.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the motorcycling community ACSurge. Congratulations on the test score as well.

There's no denying that FI bikes require less maintenance and carbureted bike but in the grand scheme of things, how much maintenance do they really require?
About every second year if they are stored in sub zero damp environment should do it, fortunately all the problems will form in the very bottom of the carburetor so if it is hard to start go straight there after the battery.

... on the other hand, i even had TY Yamaha's that required carburetor adjustments seasonally, ymmv.

" I adjusted the carbs ONLY when I did modifications to the intake and exhaust." yes because the CV carbs run as lean as possible when you buy them to be emissions compliant :| You had to forfeit emissions and fuel economy for loud pipes. Does that model have a fuel pump too?
Some have the carbs mounted so high under the tank that they require a fuel pump.

If you have modern fuel injection you let it idle until the fan kicks on before riding it, let the fuel metering sort itself out and ride :| it's about that much easier.

The reason I bring this up hear (my apoligies for the thread hijack) is because I was speaking with a 'new' rider with 1 year under his belt who's looking to upgrade. I pointed him at DL650's (based on the type of riding he does) and he shot it down because of the carbs.

You mean DR650, the DL is FI.

Depends on the cowl, though like Trials said. I had a SV650N, Naked model, as my first bike, it had a tiny windshield on it, was useless. Even going to Muskoka on rides it was fatiguing to sit crouched, and checking blind spots mean't fighting a blast of wind, on top of that my chest was always cold and legs freezing (no fairings or wind buffer). Loved it for commuting and city, anything else tiring. Only naked bike i'd get now is a supermoto.

The Rebel or CB500 class your looking at is great to start, engine wise, and clutch, butter smooth and enjoyable. Like mentioned, head over to the bike show and just sit on different bikes to get a feel.

So just finished my M2 this afternoon. Contrary to the above, it was with Learning Curves.
Theory was Monday night.
Full days of riding Tue and We'd.
Great instructor.
Licked out as the class only had 4 students. Including me.

Whipped out at 30-35 km ad end of day 1. Have to replace my gloves. Boots maybe. Jacket still usable.

This morning my confidence was a little shot. Took me awhile to get "back into the saddle". But my second half I was feeling better and was where my progress should be.

If I ever had an doubt in buying good equipment. I now have none. My palm base and knee a little sore but my ankle a lot worse.

Was a whole lot more swollen this morning. So much so it was hard to pivot at the ankle. Thought I would be able to finish today. I'm glad I stuck in there.

See you guys on the road.
7796e912147b5caeb9a727a6005370c2.jpg
1669ac9e5ce711b8a86c473109fe5031.jpg

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

So just finished my M2 this afternoon. Contrary to the above, it was with Learning Curves.
Theory was Monday night.
Great instructor.

Whipped out at 30-35 km ad end of day 1. Have to replace my gloves. Boots maybe. Jacket still usable.

This morning my confidence was a little shot. Took me awhile to get "back into the saddle". But my second half I was feeling better and was where my progress should be.

If I ever had an doubt in buying good equipment. I now have none. My palm base and knee a little sore but my ankle a lot worse.

Was a whole lot more swollen this morning. So much so it was hard to pivot at the ankle. Thought I would be able to finish today. I'm glad I stuck in there.

Yep. ATGATT, period.

Who was the senior instructor and which location?

Congrats!

Only had the one Senior.
Sylvian.

It's not just ATGATT. It's good gear all the time.

Another student offered me his extra $20 gloves that you can see through.

I said thanks but no thanks. I'll keep with mine even though there is a small hole and missing the pad on the base of the palm.

Last edited:
Theory was Monday night.
Great instructor.

Probably the best lesson you could ever have. You'll get your confidence back for sure, but now you know what overconfidence can feel like. Some guys only get one lesson and it's over forever.

Congrats on passing and sorry to hear about your spill, but glad to hear you pushed through and got it done!

Curious, what kind of boots were you wearing? I ask because that looks like they didn't provide very much protection.

Which lesson were you doing when you wiped out?

Traffic Behaviour?

Back
Top Bottom