Got a UK insurance quote out of curiosity... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got a UK insurance quote out of curiosity...

They play cheaper insurance, however they get juiced way more for the msrp price of a new vehicle/bike, and then there is the gasoline price difference.

Compared to Ontario, insurance is not cheaper in BC.

5e4457dae1c48.jpg

I was paying ~$40/month for a F650GS in ON (policy was rolled in with a truck). In BC, I'm now paying $90/month.

However, I can suspend insurance over the winter, so if you average it out over 8 months, it's only about 1.5x more expensive.

What about fire and theft etc during the time it is suspended?

Nada for both. The numbers above are just the bare minimum for ON and BC: basic liability, no comprehensive: I break, I pay. Bike gets stolen, I cry.

For a bike that costs $15,000 new, it's about $413/year extra for comprehensive. On my R1250GS, I'm paying double that, because it's double the cost.

So in BC, a full year for the R1250GS's mandatory liability ($1390) + extra comprehensive ($863) works out to a total of $2253/year.
In Ontario, I remember paying ~$1200/year for full coverage (liability + comprehensive) for my R1200GS, but that was a few years ago.

Bottom line, insurance is more expensive in BC than it is in Ontario. By a huge F-n margin.

Last edited:
Nada for both. The numbers above are just the bare minimum for ON and BC: basic liability, no comprehensive: I break, I pay. Bike gets stolen, I cry.

For a bike that costs $15,000 new, it's about $413/year extra for comprehensive. On my R1250GS, I'm paying double that, because it's double the cost.

So in BC, a full year for the R1250GS's mandatory liability ($1390) + extra comprehensive ($863) works out to a total of $2253/year.
In Ontario, I remember paying ~$1200/year for full coverage (liability + comprehensive) for my R1200GS, but that was a few years ago.

Bottom line, insurance is more expensive in BC than it is in Ontario. By a huge F-n margin.
I know we've been over this before, but I can't help but point out that it's more expensive for you, but not necessarily for everyone.

Partly because I didn't ride much outside the May-October window, I'd pay for six months' coverage and if a sunny day popped up would just grab a day's worth for that (about $35). My Tuono coverage in BC was almost identical to the ZX-10R coverage at about $140/mo for $2M liability and uninsured motorist coverage. Adding comprehensive cost $400/yr, whether the bike was on the road or in the garage, so my annual total was $1,240.

Comprehensive in Ontario for me is $1,800/yr at the cheapest, but isn't as good and I've had to add components to get equivalent coverage such as declared value and a bumped up wage replacement number (from $400/wk to $1000/wk) which took me to over $2,400 in my first year here. Granted, I did get a reduction this year, so it's now $2,220...

Riding 10+ years, clean record etc. Similar extra-urban postal codes. And my wife is paying more here on her CR-V than she did in BC, but the difference is minimal...

(And the bit I miss most was Beacon covered trackdays, which nobody will touch in Ontario.)

We think of Canada as a 1st world country but in many respects it is not. The corruption or self serving self regulating in the insurance, investment, real estate, banking, internet and cell phone, vehicle towing, manufacturing industries is real and significant. Industries have politicians in their pockets, consumer protection laws are poor and rarely enforced, pricing fixing and collusion abounds in many industries, the wealthy avoid and evade income tax while ordinary folk are audited on a regular basis. It's actually very discouraging and I see no solution or resolution on the horizon.

So pay your inflated insurance premiums, some of the highest internet and cell phone rates in the world, buy your price fixed bread and other staples, overbid by 10's of thousands on a closed and completely non transparent real estate process, wait 5 years to have your complaint about your doctor, dentist or lawyer investigated by a self regulated professional body dismissed.

Go for a ride while you still can and be happy. Rant over.

Back
Top Bottom