Goretex boots really worth it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Goretex boots really worth it?

Phelan

In the market for a new set of touring boots given mine are 8 years old and the zipper just snapped off on my Alpinestars Ridge boots :( I figure it's about time to swap them out as they have over 100,000kms on them and are a bit shoddy in condition now. Wondering if going goretex is actually worth it? I need boots that actually "breathe" while keeping my feet dry. That's my # 1 concern as the last thing I want is to have "clammy" feet when it rains.

Looking at Alpinestars SMX Plus gore tex boots or web ones.

Thoughts?

I have these - http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44790 , on my second pair (crashed in first one). Use it mainly for touring, first pair served me very well for tens of thousands kms. They go on sale sometimes - I got my first pair for 195, paid full price for the second one - worth every penny. Can get a bit toasty during hot weather but never had "clammy" feet. In the city prefer my perforated Held boots - just over $125 at yamaha oakville, don't remember exact name but they are awesome - very well ventilated and dry fast

Yes..I bought a nice pair of Alipnestars waterproof street boots.....but didn't see the point in spending an extra $200 for Gore Tex.....a yr later they were no longer waterproof. The liners get cracks or holes in them from use.

My next street boots will be Gore Tex for sure.

I've gone through 2 pairs of non-goretex waterproof boots in 3 years, Alpinestars and Joe Rocket. They just don't seem to stay waterproof for very long. Trying a pair of TCX Gore-tex this season.

Yes. I have Pumas which are still awesome after a couple years. In the fall I bought a pair of Under Armour Military/Hunting boots, also awesome. I tested them by walking about a 100 meters through a creek feet fully immersed, they did not get wet at all, I was genuinely surprised. I find myself wearing them more than any other shoes but my riding ones. They're just so easy to slip on, comfy and look badass. Only place I wear runners are in the gym and at work.

I have these - http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44790 , on my second pair (crashed in first one). Use it mainly for touring, first pair served me very well for tens of thousands kms. They go on sale sometimes - I got my first pair for 195, paid full price for the second one - worth every penny. Can get a bit toasty during hot weather but never had "clammy" feet. In the city prefer my perforated Held boots - just over $125 at yamaha oakville, don't remember exact name but they are awesome - very well ventilated and dry fast

+1 on the Allround Boots. If you buy them at BMW, it comes with a warranty for 2 years with any defect. Very happy with the purchase... same price as online.

+1 on the Allround Boots. If you buy them at BMW, it comes with a warranty for 2 years with any defect. Very happy with the purchase... same price as online.
Almost half of my gear is BMW - great quality, excellent customer service, etc. All of them low profile (ie no huge BMW logos) which is nice as I ride Yamaha and the only BMWs we have are cars (although I do like new liquid cooled GS1200!)
Watch for their sale - several years ago I got 3/4 jacket (wateprooff, windroof, shtload of pockets, etc). Original MSRP was ~1200, it spent 4 years or so in their warehouse and I got it from BMW Toronto for 195 taxes in!

In the market for a new set of touring boots given mine are 8 years old and the zipper just snapped off on my Alpinestars Ridge boots :( I figure it's about time to swap them out as they have over 100,000kms on them and are a bit shoddy in condition now. Wondering if going goretex is actually worth it? I need boots that actually "breathe" while keeping my feet dry. That's my # 1 concern as the last thing I want is to have "clammy" feet when it rains.

Looking at Alpinestars SMX Plus gore tex boots or web ones.

Thoughts?

I have Puma Gortex boots. They work well. Breathe amazing on hot humid days. Keeps my feet dry on downpours. Really like them.. I guess they are worth the close to $300 I paid!

I love my goretex boots too, only boots I wear and so happy with them I just bought a second pair. I have BMW Allround boots and am just waiting for my TCX Air Goretex boots which will be my summer hot weather boot.

Want to know how waterproof they are? I was riding in the Gatineau Hills in Ottawa a year or so back and got caught in a thunderstorm. I didn't know the weather was going to be that bad when I set out so I was wearing my leather sports pants and leather sport jeacket. The pants were inside my boots. It rained so hard it filled my boots up and I stopped in a McDonalds to dry off, I poured a couple litres of water on their floor from my boots and promptly apologised as I didn't think there'd be that much inside. They weren't leaking, they held water amazingly. Of course when I know there's a chance of rain I usually have my overpants that go outside the boots.

I had a pair of the A* ridge boots. The velcro died after about three years of commuting, but a $12 fix a a boot store got another year and a half out of them. When they were completly done, I moved up to the A* webgortex boot. I'll likely replace the gortex boots with the same once they're worn out, as they are warm, dry, and fairly comfy off the bike.

I also had the Alpinestars Ridge boot.. 2 years ago I purchased the Alpinestars waterproof Roam boot. Its a good boot so far (2 seasons worth up to this point) and they still look new.

Full disclaimer: I own a pair of Sidi Canyon GoreTex boots (Love 'em)

I have read that in order to carry the GoreTex name, manufactures have to adhere to higher manufacture standards - resulting in better constructed products...

I have a pair of Dainese Fulcrum goretex boots... been out in the rain a few times, kept my feet dry.

Can't say much else about em. They're super comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom