Good news, bad news or nothing for MC competition and culture in Canada? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good news, bad news or nothing for MC competition and culture in Canada?

What many have hoped for has finally happened.

Will the organization "open up", merge with MMIC, or just dry up and float away?

And will anybody but a few of us care?
The CMA remains the FIM affiliate, and will continue to be until voted out by the FIM board (2/3 majority required). Only then can the MCC make their petition to replace. The MCC is propped up by the MMIC (manufacturers) but does not yet allow individual citizens to be members. Until they do that, they have no credibility with the FIM. Expect big changes in the very near future.

The timing is interesting, given what recently happened. Makes one wonder if pressure was applied behind the scenes. I really can't see the CMA mending its ways on its own, but merging operations with the MCC could be an interesting way out with MCC carrying on operations, but inheriting CMA's name and FIM affiliation (and public membership!), without having to rely on FIM's voting process (and having to wait until next year).

I've got my 2021 CMA/FIM competition license (y) so I guess I must care.

It won't affect you; it's not like the CMA is ceasing operations. Hopefully this results in something better for the rest of us. The more I think about it, the more a merger between the CMA and the MCC makes sense, and the sooner, the better.

Marylinn had a massive stroke a year ago. One would think that the cma office would have done something within that year to move forward. But as per cma fashion, crickets. I'll never send them a penny.

It won't affect you; it's not like the CMA is ceasing operations. Hopefully this results in something better for the rest of us. The more I think about it, the more a merger between the CMA and the MCC makes sense, and the sooner, the better.
You want a merger between the not for profit race organization and:
"The Motorcyclists Confederation of Canada (MCC) is the voice of motorcycling in Canada. Our purpose is to create a better riding experience for all Canadians, and to make Canada one of the safest countries in the world to ride a motorcycle."

wtf is "the voice of motorcycling in Canada" Seriously :cautious: do you see Anything about that MCC organization that speaks grass roots motorcycle racing. It's not even in their mission statement but safety is.

Marylinn had a massive stroke a year ago. One would think that the cma office would have done something within that year to move forward. But as per cma fashion, crickets. I'll never send them a penny.
You wouldn't know what CMA did or did not do in recent years Ric, you're not a member or a competitor.

You wouldn't know what CMA did or did not do in recent years Ric, you're not a member or a competitor.
What have they done in recent years ?
Please, take a couple of minutes and explain it all to us.
I'm all ears.

Here we go again. The CMA has done absolutely nothing, whatsoever, for "grass roots motorcycle racing" in Canada except MAYBE if you happened to be involved in one of their very narrow remaining spheres of influence. They've done nothing for me, for example. I've never been a CMA member. No roadracing organisation that I've had a license in, has had anything to do with the CMA since the 1990s and not in my period of involvement.

The "my little world is perfect and I don't care about anyone else" attitude stops. NOW. Public warning, Trials. DO NOT START.

Did you fire up your dial up and watch the video? Didn't think so.

What have they done in recent years ?
Please, take a couple of minutes and explain it all to us.
I'm all ears.
NOOOOO....PLEASE DON'T.

As for the not for profit argument above, the MMIC professes to be "non-profit" as well. There is a difference between not for profit and non profit but in this case the point is the same.

Speaking for myself, my hope is that the MCC, CMA or whatever emerges will remove/overcome the barriers that they have created or reinforced throughout the MC community over the years.

Canadian competitors and motorcyclists in general deserve a competent, professional and inclusive national sanctioning/organizing body. Hopefully we will get one.

You want a merger between the not for profit race organization and:
"The Motorcyclists Confederation of Canada (MCC) is the voice of motorcycling in Canada. Our purpose is to create a better riding experience for all Canadians, and to make Canada one of the safest countries in the world to ride a motorcycle."

wtf is "the voice of motorcycling in Canada" Seriously :cautious: do you see Anything about that MCC organization that speaks grass roots motorcycle racing. It's not even in their mission statement but safety is.

While I admire your dedication to the cause, it's pretty clear that great swathes of the motorcycle racing community feel that the current stewards of racing are doing a piss poor job and need replaced. I have yet to hear from a single person involved in road racing or MX who has anything good to say about the CMA. I've heard plenty who have been heavily involved in grassroots racing across the country with lots bad to say. The ice racing group and the Saskatchewan mini-racing group aren't represented here, to be fair, but I'm going to guess that's a pretty niche part of the overall motorcycling world in Canada.

I think it's pretty clear that your experience with trials support is a fairly unique arrangement, and while that may work in your corner of the motorcycle competition world, the other 95% is wanting change. I find it fascinating that you continue to carte blanche discount so many experienced voices with direct experiences simply because your chosen discipline happens to be one that the CMA hasn't treated like garbage...

This thread is beyond frustrating. I set out very clearly in the other one what the benefits of moving all of the CMA duties to the MCC would be, and Trials pretended to have read it. If the CMA's best advocate on this forum is someone that myopic... welll... that says it all really.

"I think it's pretty clear that your experience with trials support is a fairly unique arrangement"
Don't be ridiculous. How the hell could it be a unique arrangement, because I made the effort?

Last edited:
"Try Trials". Ya that's nice. So what?
The SOCT has a "bring a friend" day and a free trials school every year.
The only reason trials has been given the attention it has, is because it's a local thing that the Bastedo family liked.

Back
Top Bottom