GL650 Silverwing | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GL650 Silverwing

I wound up buying the silverwing. I realize the other suggestions may be more practical, but it's a cool old bike. For the price, I can resell it in a year if I don't like it. Besides, it has altimeter on the dash. Everyone needs one of those, right?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

I had a CX650E for years, put on over 50,000kms. Its the sportier version of the GL650, about 90% the same. Keep an eye on the stator, I replaced mine twice. If it hasn't been replaced lately, it will fail on you. On most bikes, a stator swap is a one hour job, not so on these bikes. You need to remove the engine and take off the back cover. The stators fail because there is very little cooling up there, they simply burn up. Otherwise, a great bike with a sweet engine. Mine had over 125,000kms on it.

Congrats. Glad to see you weren't scared off by all the fear of old bikes that seems to permeate this site.

Thanks! Can't wait for some clear roads!

There's a very active forum for these bikes and by coincidence, there's a GL / CX guru in my town

Should be pretty simple to work on. I rebuilt the shocks and front brakes on mine without a manual or any problems. But like any bike I'm keeping for a while I would recommend getting a Haynes or Clymer manual.

Thanks! Can't wait for some clear roads!

There's a very active forum for these bikes and by coincidence, there's a GL / CX guru in my town

Clear roads are coming - I put the cars away April 1st each year. That's six weekends to get your stuff ready!

Clear roads are coming - I put the cars away April 1st each year. That's six weekends to get your stuff ready!

o you're saying it's time to get the new cush drive installed that's been languishing
on the toolbox all winter.
S

I remember the Parry Sound Sport Bike Rally many years ago. They would drop the oil on an old bike an run it until it grenaded, much to the crowd's pleasure. The one year that I saw it, they chose a CX - lots of disappointment all around as it just wouldn't quit even when revved and everyone lost interest. Great bike - have always like the 650 sport version.

I remember the Parry Sound Sport Bike Rally many years ago. They would drop the oil on an old bike an run it until it grenaded, much to the crowd's pleasure. The one year that I saw it, they chose a CX - lots of disappointment all around as it just wouldn't quit even when revved and everyone lost interest. Great bike - have always like the 650 sport version.

hat was obviously when we camped at Foley before Cycle Canada bailed. That was a great party. I don't remember the grenading bikes but I do remember some young kid riding his mini bike through the bonfire.
T

a lot of Canadians got the kush drive going in October

ots of us had the kush going long before October. Only an idiot would line up to buy it at the company store.
L

Canada Post puts it in the mailbox
there is no line up
but true enough
anyone lining up at a store
when there aren't any yet
would qualify as an idiot

it's okay though
we don't have your business yet
but LE will ensure we have it shortly

ots of us had the kush going long before October. Only an idiot would line up to buy it at the company store.
L

Great choice...cousin had a GL650 in the late 80's....I had an 84 CX650E..cool bike,,,smooth...top speed was 200kmph...was surprised..turned into a high speed wobble on the 401 when I tried that...to be 18 again.

Attachments

• honda-cx650e-1984-2.jpg
    honda-cx650e-1984-2.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 16
Great choice...cousin had a GL650 in the late 80's....I had an 84 CX650E..cool bike,,,smooth...top speed was 200kmph...was surprised..turned into a high speed wobble on the 401 when I tried that...to be 18 again.
Weave or wobble? Big old Hondas are excellent choices if you want to experience the thrill of a high speed weave. Happened to me twice, first time on a 72 CB750, last time on a GL1000, both around 120mph on open freeway. ST1300 riders still feel the odd weave.

Yeah the Brits banned the ST1100 for police after a few accidents at speed but Honda blamed it on the alterations caused by the cop gear additions.

My ST1100 was rock stable at 150 indicated. I had the touring screen tho.

Weave or wobble? Big old Hondas are excellent choices if you want to experience the thrill of a high speed weave. Happened to me twice, first time on a 72 CB750, last time on a GL1000, both around 120mph on open freeway. ST1300 riders still feel the odd weave.
My brother in law has an 82 cb900ss, I only rode it once. I had the scariest speed wobble on the hwy 400, nearly shat myself.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I had just hit 200kmph on the speedo and instantly the bars shook so rapidly you could not see the grips...I relaxed immediately and let up on throttle...had just bought the bike and stupidly not inspected front tire which was weather cracked and had bad cupping...

Yeah the Brits banned the ST1100 for police after a few accidents at speed but Honda blamed it on the alterations caused by the cop gear additions.

My ST1100 was rock stable at 150 indicated. I had the touring screen tho.
I don't know what it is about Honda designs, many all their big bikes have had high speed weave problems - I have enjoyed the sensation twice in my life -- both on Honda's.

Brits, and most European Police also quit the ST1300 after losing officers to Pan-Weave.

I experienced a weave on my 1983 Seca 900 ...was much less dramatic than the high speed wobble on the CX650...

Back
Top Bottom