Getting M2 soon. Ninja 400 or Cbr500r? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting M2 soon. Ninja 400 or Cbr500r?

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I’m liking the cbr500r. Day 4 of riding today and already had 2 cars trying to share lane with me and driving so close. One just kept trying to come into my lane even though he could see me and I was in the blocking position, when I final decided to speed up to get out of there, he tried to come next to me. Fun times

Got a jacket today, Dainese super speed, do I need to get shoes(have regular high top shoes) and pants for street riding? And what should I get first. Also need a back insert.

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I’m liking the cbr500r. Day 4 of riding today and already had 2 cars trying to share lane with me and driving so close. One just kept trying to come into my lane even though he could see me and I was in the blocking position, when I final decided to speed up to get out of there, he tried to come next to me. Fun times

Got a jacket today, Dainese super speed, do I need to get shoes(have regular high top shoes) and pants for street riding? And what should I get first. Also need a back insert.
Get proper riding shoes before jeans, imo.

You can get ones that resemble high tops, TCX and Dianese make some, even in waterproof or vented versions. Would likely run about $230.

Jeans next, lots of style/fitment options. Id suggest something with Kevlar inner liner and some decent knee armor. Should also be around $230ish. If I recall GP bikes has a huge jeans rack if you want to try some out.

Back armor will run you about $80, id get this first imo.

There are some good boot threads on here. Personally, I would put great riding boots very high on the list. Ankle injuries are common. Anything shoe or "hightop" like is completely useless. Don't waste your money. They don't protect much and will fly off in a crash. If you are going for boots, get tall boots that you wouldn't mind having someone jump on the side of your ankle. That weeds out most of the fashion choices and leaves you with something that actually provides protection. They won't be cheap.

Buy what you'll wear.
As for riding shoes, they sort of work. I have both full boots and riding shoes. Depends on the off bike activities. Just like normal clothes. You don't wear flip flops into a boardroom and you don't wear a tux to mcdonalds. No one set of gear will fit all situations. To get started though, I'd go with Riding shoes as you'll always find a use for them. Make sure you do not get waterproof. As good of an idea as that sounds like, nothing is more disgusting than wrapping your feet in a plastic bag at 40 degree weather with no ventilation.

Riding Jeans are like riding shoes. Good enough till they aren't. Get something that will be good for off the bike. Try not to overspend, but sadly, the breathable, comfortable and protective riding jeans are all pricy. If you were cash constrained, pants are maybe one of the last pieces.

Back insert pockets are typically proprietary shaped. I'm not sure about your super speed jacket. Get something but don't go crazy. CE1 rated armor made of something like D3O will be your best bet if it fits. If you want more, a CE2 protector will add a lot of bulk so if you are going to a retailer, see if you can try it in your jacket.

You didn't mention gloves. Please wear gloves, proper gloves.

If you find that riding agrees with you, then wait till the motorcycle show in January. GP Bikes has historically had signficant discounts. You'll have had more saddle time and you'll start to get a sense of what kind of rider you are. As it stands now, there's no telling if you are a custom Dianese track racer, a Joe Rocket commuter, a FOX single tracker or an Icon vest stunter.

Buy what you'll wear.
As for riding shoes, they sort of work. I have both full boots and riding shoes. Depends on the off bike activities. Just like normal clothes. You don't wear flip flops into a boardroom and you don't wear a tux to mcdonalds. No one set of gear will fit all situations. To get started though, I'd go with Riding shoes as you'll always find a use for them. Make sure you do not get waterproof. As good of an idea as that sounds like, nothing is more disgusting than wrapping your feet in a plastic bag at 40 degree weather with no ventilation.

Riding Jeans are like riding shoes. Good enough till they aren't. Get something that will be good for off the bike. Try not to overspend, but sadly, the breathable, comfortable and protective riding jeans are all pricy. If you were cash constrained, pants are maybe one of the last pieces.

Back insert pockets are typically proprietary shaped. I'm not sure about your super speed jacket. Get something but don't go crazy. CE1 rated armor made of something like D3O will be your best bet if it fits. If you want more, a CE2 protector will add a lot of bulk so if you are going to a retailer, see if you can try it in your jacket.

You didn't mention gloves. Please wear gloves, proper gloves.

If you find that riding agrees with you, then wait till the motorcycle show in January. GP Bikes has historically had signficant discounts. You'll have had more saddle time and you'll start to get a sense of what kind of rider you are. As it stands now, there's no telling if you are a custom Dianese track racer, a Joe Rocket commuter, a FOX single tracker or a muscle shirt stunter.
What situation do riding shoes provide protection? They don't protect your ankles and they come off in a crash. Imo, they are basically lighting money on fire (or completing your power ranger outfit if that is your thing).

What situation do riding shoes provide protection? They don't protect your ankles and they come off in a crash. Imo, they are basically lighting money on fire (or completing your power ranger outfit if that is your thing).
I don't necessarily agree they are certain to fly off. Many have velcro/clasps on top of the typical laces. I would wager they will absorb abrasions better then a pair of converse.

They are definitely at the bottom of the protection scale but a better idea then a pair of Air Force 1s

The situation where you are having a social visit with friends at a respectable restaurant post covid and dont want to stomp stomp stomp around in your Forma Advenures (and matching Klim Adventure Rally suit) but still want a steel shank, ankle support and toe cup. It is miles better than any normal shoe. I did after all, highlight the scenario in which you'll wear it. Buy what you'll wear.

I have both shoes and boots, neither crazy high end just a pair of Alpinestars SMXS boots and Faster 2 shoes.

The shoes are comfy and grippy on the controls which makes them better than normal shoes when full boots aren't practical. They do offer some protection, but after going down hard with full boots on and seeing the damage they took with not so much as a bruise from my shins down I don't think I would ride with shoes again. I felt my shin take impact and my foot try to rotate as I tumbled, the front of the boot was scraped pretty deep and it prevented my ankle from rotating, the shoes wouldn't have done anything to stop any of that.

I have both shoes and boots, neither crazy high end just a pair of Alpinestars SMXS boots and Faster 2 shoes.

The shoes are comfy and grippy on the controls which makes them better than normal shoes when full boots aren't practical. They do offer some protection, but after going down hard with full boots on and seeing the damage they took with not so much as a bruise from my shins down I don't think I would ride with shoes again. I felt my shin take impact and my foot try to rotate as I tumbled, the front of the boot was scraped pretty deep and it prevented my ankle from rotating, the shoes wouldn't have done anything to stop any of that.
Similar story for me. I came off wearing over the ankle boots and ended up on crutches for a long time for a bad sprain. After that bought proper tall boots and won't ride without them.

Back
Top Bottom