Getting a Ninja 250 (first bike) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting a Ninja 250 (first bike)

tsdexter

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a used Ninja 250r. Just wondering if anyone knows the Canadian Red Book value on an 08-10 model. I'd like to know what I may be looking at for tax if I find a good deal below wholesale...

Also, if anyone is selling a 250R (preferably green) let me know!

Thanks,
Thomas

From what I have seen, these are in great demand. Be prepared to pay between 3500-4500 depending on the state/mileage etc,... On the plus side, you should be able to recover most of what you pay when you turn it over. I got my eyes open for one as well but I am waiting until I complete the MSC, the weekend after next. Good luck finding a good deal.

^^^ he's asking how much tax he's going to have to pay when the registers it at the MTO. For those years they're valued between 2500-3000ish...
Usually they go by what you paid on the bill of sale, my cousin had it at 1000 and only paid 130 bucks tax...its a ripoff still on a used vehicle considering its tax has already been paid.

^^^ he's asking how much tax he's going to have to pay when the registers it at the MTO. For those years they're valued between 2500-3000ish...
Usually they go by what you paid on the bill of sale, my cousin had it at 1000 and only paid 130 bucks tax...its a ripoff still on a used vehicle considering its tax has already been paid.
Lets protest against this tax

the bike usually goes between $3000 to $4000 depending on mileage, condition and time of the season. i got mine last year for $3000 at the end of the season. stored it and got the insurance at the start of this season. its 2009 black with 10000km on it .never dropped

unlike the cars , motorcycles dont have min or max sale price on their UVIP (i might be wrong tho), the guy i bought the bike from put the price lower on the bill of sale something around 2000 . so i paid less tax on the bike. however i did get a letter from CRA asking for bill of sale , i sent them a copy ...

my suggestion to you , dont get a bike before u take ur M2 course.

Thanks. How did you pay tax on only $2000? The MTO website states that you pay on the purchase price or the Canadian Red Book value whichever is greater... Is the Red Book value less than $2000? That's why I was asking the question. I can calculate the tax on the purchase price easily, I was more concerned with if I find a good deal, what value would I be taxed on...

I'm taking the course next weekend most likely, Riders Plus quoted me at $1259 even with my M1 and will insure me the minute I pass the safety course, just have to call. Can't get M2 until August 8th even with the course.. can't wait that long :p

I'm hoping to find a bike this coming week, and then I'll just garage/parking lot it until next weekend when I take the course then get insurance.

Thanks
Thomas

From what I have seen, these are in great demand. Be prepared to pay between 3500-4500 depending on the state/mileage etc,... On the plus side, you should be able to recover most of what you pay when you turn it over. I got my eyes open for one as well but I am waiting until I complete the MSC, the weekend after next. Good luck finding a good deal.

Yeah, I'm doing the course next weekend too so long as get it off work... Where are you taking it? I live in Barrie, so Georgian College. (I also work there and get an employee discount... a measly $25 off haha!)

when u buy the bike ,(im assuming used one), tell the owner put lower price on bill of sale than actual price u pay him, u will be taxed based on ur bill of sale , not the actual price u pay to owner. as i said before , i dont think there is red book value for bikes . thats what the guy i bought the bike from told me . but CRA might contact u and ask for a copy of bill of sale.

I paid 4500 for my 2010 Limited Edition Green - it came with a Leo Vince Exhaust, fendor eliminated and no touch alarm and it had 1800 kms on it, and full service records.

when u buy the bike ,(im assuming used one), tell the owner put lower price on bill of sale than actual price u pay him, u will be taxed based on ur bill of sale , not the actual price u pay to owner. as i said before , i dont think there is red book value for bikes . thats what the guy i bought the bike from told me . but CRA might contact u and ask for a copy of bill of sale.

Can I put a lower price on bill of sale if I'm not paying cash? Paying with bank draft, unfortunately.

Can I put a lower price on bill of sale if I'm not paying cash? Paying with bank draft, unfortunately.

Yes and no, both you and the seller must know the value just incase they are suspicious, they may call both parties to confirm the price was the same.

If you are buying privately just let the seller know, and on the UVIP ask him/her to write a lower value than what you actually pay.

Eg. I bought my 250r for 4k , the seller put down I paid 2k , even though I asked if he could even put 1k he got scared so he didnt. Went to register the bike and the lady didnt even look at the papers and just asked how much I paid, I said 2k and then she charged me $260 in tax.

Didn't feel like creating a new thread but what's going with Ninja prices these days? At the beginning of the season everybody were saying the prices are high around $4000 for 09-10. Well we are mid July and the prices are still the same if not more. Just search kijiji. What gives? People are dictating the price due to a high demand or what?

People are dictating the price due to a high demand or what?

Yes, precisely. The price of a motorcycle is whatever the market will bear. Small starter motorcycles are extremely popular and their prices tend to remain high because people will pay the higher price.

Didn't feel like creating a new thread but what's going with Ninja prices these days? At the beginning of the season everybody were saying the prices are high around $4000 for 09-10. Well we are mid July and the prices are still the same if not more. Just search kijiji. What gives? People are dictating the price due to a high demand or what?

Not sure what the price 'should' be. But prices on Kijiji arent final prices. Mine was listed at $3950, I paid $3400 and I offered $3400 on one listed at $4000 (had cracked fairing) and he said he'd do $3500.

Not sure what the price 'should' be. But prices on Kijiji arent final prices. Mine was listed at $3950, I paid $3400 and I offered $3400 on one listed at $4000 (had cracked fairing) and he said he'd do $3500.

Oh, sounds good. So I guess those won't be considered low ball offers then.

Oh, sounds good. So I guess those won't be considered low ball offers then.

If you just call and offer then yes, I presume they would.

The $4000 that I offered $3400 was really just an experiment to see if I was doing good on mine, I emailed 4 or 5 different green ones and offered them all $3400 to gauge the responses. He was the only one to reply, they were all between 3800-4500. I think he listed his high considering the damage.

Mine, listed at $3950 was relatively high mileage (17,000km) and needed new tires, otherwise it's mint. I also had it inspected by a motorcycle mechanic before offering, which pointed out the tires wouldn't pass safety so I was able to offer lower without being a d0uche.

Last week of March, dealership was offering me $3,200 as a trade-in value with my 2010 special edition ninja 250 that had close to 25,000km on it.
(book value $2,800 + HST). So you can imagine what it's really worth. Mind you my ninja was well-maintained and got brand new pirelli sport demons on. The ninja's really hold their value (year 2008+) because it's a fantastic beginner's bike and there's always a demand. keep up the maintenance and it'll run for a long time. I still don't get how some are selling theirs with less than 5,000km on the bike.

Some milestones on the ninja regarding km's and maintenance:
0-800km Fist break-in period,(4,000 rpm)
801-1,600k Second break-in period (6,000 rpm)
1,000km scheduled maintenance
6,000km scheduled maintenance
12,000km scheduled maintenance

Last week of March, dealership was offering me $3,200 as a trade-in value with my 2010 special edition ninja 250 that had close to 25,000km on it.
(book value $2,800 + HST). So you can imagine what it's really worth. Mind you my ninja was well-maintained and got brand new pirelli sport demons on. The ninja's really hold their value (year 2008+) because it's a fantastic beginner's bike and there's always a demand. keep up the maintenance and it'll run for a long time. I still don't get how some are selling theirs with less than 5,000km on the bike.

Some milestones on the ninja regarding km's and maintenance:
0-800km Fist break-in period,(4,000 rpm)
801-1,600k Second break-in period (6,000 rpm)
1,000km scheduled maintenance
6,000km scheduled maintenance
12,000km scheduled maintenance

I guess $3400 for 2008 with 17,000km + hotbodies exhaust, fender eliminator, led plate illuminator and mint condition was actually a pretty good price than?

Back
Top Bottom