Getting a Honda z50a street legal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting a Honda z50a street legal

jucli

Hi all,
i recently bought 2 honda z50a to be restored in order to complete my collection of mini honda 4 strokes. I am wondering if I could make one of them street legal.

I went to Service Ontario, and it looks doable.
I am going to do the ownership (bill of sales + affidavit) and next steps is safety check + insurance to get the plates.

Regarding the safety check, am wondering if there s any rules for old motorcycle. It is a 1969 model that was sold with no turn lights and horn.
Regarding the insurance, would you recommend one company specialized in vintage motorcycle ?

Thanks !

I recommend you investigate insurance for it first, I don't think anybody will touch a mini-bike for street insurance, z50a was never licensable in Canada to my recollection.

No on vintage insurance, that's not what it's for, if the thing was worth tens of thousands of $ and you wanted to insure it for crazy money and ride it almost never, that is vintage insurance.

I go through a broker and always have, they represent several insurance providers, the best person to deal with is whoever covers your other insurance needs such as household insurance. If you don't have any of that it might be worth investigating tenant insurance bundled with your toys. You require a horn or bell (for street) even if it is a big rubber squeeze one.
You could green plate it I would imagine, they might sell you insurance for that.

Anybody ever seen one riding on a public road with a blue plate?

... it would look like a bobble head doll going by your side window, if you seen it at all.

first post mentions ownership, do you have one? does it indicate the bike had been plated at one time?
if so, this would be an encouraging detail

+1 on the insurance inquiry
if that's a no go, no point in the other steps

I got my '69 CT-90 blue plated no problem, Rosey Toes did the safety and Dalton Timmis got me a policy.

Also, I was able to get my '64 S90 registered in my name with no ownership or history of registration in Ontario, going the affidavit route.

So it's all possible :)

I got my '69 CT-90 blue plated no problem, Rosey Toes did the safety and Dalton Timmis got me a policy.

Also, I was able to get my '64 S90 registered in my name with no ownership or history of registration in Ontario, going the affidavit route.

So it's all possible :)
Those are not mini-bikes, those were blue plated bikes from day one.

Ahhhh right. I forgot that aspect. I was assuming in '69 they didn't specify. For example, my CT-90 is not classified as a limited speed motorcycle (as I'm sure it should be by todays standards). I was assuming the same would apply here

No on vintage insurance, that's not what it's for, if the thing was worth tens of thousands of $ and you wanted to insure it for crazy money and ride it almost never, that is vintage insurance.
Vintage isn't just for high priced bikes, but the almost never riding it is a fair statement. Still, I know people with full insurance who don't even ride 1000 km's a season. All depends on the OP's requirements, and they can start looking into the restrictions here:

How much is green plate insurance on a z50a
... pretty close to the bikes original list price I wager, what did they sell for back in the day ~300$?

Some of the Z50s were street legal. I think OP's bike is one of those. His bike will get a white plate not a blue plate... and a non standard VIN so he his VERY limited as to who will write a policy, more so if he is a relatively new rider.
Green plate is an off road vehicle isn't it?

Up till '72 a bike needed a red light on the back to get a plate.
The Ontario Vehicle inspection NOW says it also needs a "horn" (arguably it doesn't have to be a horn, could be a bell. I have got a "cert" with a child's bicycle bell. Something to get attention from other drivers) and it has to stop from 32KPH.

thanks, that s what i am wondering. the z50a was definitely street legal in Europe and in the US at that time. but i could not find for Canada.
Happy to put a bell on it :)

what do you mean by it has to stop from 32KPH ?

thanks, that is fine.
so seems the big unknown is to get an insurance
Are you going to tell them it's a kid sized motorcycle or wait for them to reference the VIN
& can you turn the bars full lock without hitting your knees?

Hope you can plate it, just can't imagine it possible in this era.

Are you going to tell them it's a kid sized motorcycle or wait for them to reference the VIN
& can you turn the bars full lock without hitting your knees?

Hope you can plate it, just can't imagine it possible in this era.
yeah, i can turn without hitting my knee. i am really not a tall guy, and i used to have one z50a when i was living in France.
I do not intend to use it a lot, just on sunny week end to buy some bread at the bakery.

Back
Top Bottom