Getting a graduated G class license when you've only got M class. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting a graduated G class license when you've only got M class.

Twisted Wrister

I've an M class Ontario Driver's license. Upgraded from M1 to M2. I've never had or needed anything else. I can drive standard and automatic transmission cars and have even rented and driven G class moving trucks with absolutely zero challenges or issues.

However, my life is changing and it's now important for me to look into adding that capital G next to the familiar M on my license.

Getting a G1 should cost $125 because you have to pay in advance for the G2 ($75) and for the roadtest ($40) and the $10 for the written exam. I arrived at the drivetest centre a little late to actually take the exam, but the service-ontario gentleman insisted I'd have to pay only the $10 and that the written test is a mere formality for their records. He said I've already been roadtested.

I'm going back on thursday, but earlier next time. Does this mean that after I go back I'll walk out of there with an MG1, MG2 or possibly a full MG?

With an M2 or M you can drive under G1 restrictions, no need to write the test. I was able to book my G2 test one year after I got my M2. Just ask to book your G2 test, pay the $40, and do the road test :)

Once you get a M2 you automatically get a G1 as the M1 portion is consisted of G1 + motorcycle knowledge.

So you already have a G1M. All you need to do is book your G2 (G1 Exit?) test with the ministry for $40.

Last edited:
Once you get a M2 you automatically get a G1 as the M1 portion is consisted of G1 + motorcycle knowledge.

So you already have a G1M. All you need to do is book your G2 (G1 Exit?) test with the ministry for $75.

Mine was $40, when did it go up to $75?

Many years ago my brother got a ticket and even lost points on his M licence while driving my car. I guess the cop never figured that a 21 year old guy would only have a bike licence. Things were different back then....bike test consisted of being observed riding around the local arena ...buddy of mine even passed 2 other bikes while he was out of site around the back of the building...still got his licence!

Many years ago my brother got a ticket and even lost points on his M licence while driving my car. I guess the cop never figured that a 21 year old guy would only have a bike licence. Things were different back then....bike test consisted of being observed riding around the local arena ...buddy of mine even passed 2 other bikes while he was out of site around the back of the building...still got his licence!

How many years is many years ago? M and G license is just one license, they aren't separated. If you lose points on one, you lost points on the other. You get one suspended, all your licenses get suspended.

With an M2 or M you can drive under G1 restrictions, no need to write the test. I was able to book my G2 test one year after I got my M2. Just ask to book your G2 test, pay the $40, and do the road test :)
I'd like to be able to take a car on a highway and drive with a non-driver in the passenger seat. I'm asking if I'll be handed a MG2 right away, or if I'll have to go through the whole year with a G1.

I'd like to be able to take a car on a highway and drive with a non-driver in the passenger seat. I'm asking if I'll be handed a MG2 right away, or if I'll have to go through the whole year with a G1.

You still have to wait a year from your G1 to get your G2. So depending on when you got your M1/M2, if its been over a year, you can book your G2 test right now.

So you already have a G1M. All you need to do is book your G2 (G1 Exit?) test with the ministry for $40.
They wouldn't bill me for it. The guy left me at the counter to go talk to somebody I couldn't see. Came back and said I only had to pay 10 bucks and that I've already been road-tested. I think this means I get a G2 right away, but I'd like to be sure.

You still have to wait a year from your G1 to get your G2. So depending on when you got your M1/M2, if its been over a year, you can book your G2 test right now.
This is exactly what I expected and makes perfect sense. However the price they wanted and the behavior of the serviceontario guy seemed to suggest to me that the G2 road test was unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom