Getting a G2 licence after getting an M | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting a G2 licence after getting an M

sezme

I have a question about licensing in Ontario. I have a full M licence but have never been licensed to drive a car. One of the conditions of the M licence is that you are able to drive "Class G vehicles under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence."

So with that in mind, I've been taking (car) driving lessons with an instructor. I'm ready to book my road test, but when I went to the DriveTest webpage to do so, I input my name and licence number, whereupon it showed only the G2 as a test option. I selected that option and got the message, "you are not eligible for this test".

I'll get in touch with the DriveTest centre on Tuesday to ask why, but meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone had experience going from an M licence to a G2. Do I have to go in and do the written G1 test again even though I already did it when I got my M1? Thanks!

I don’t know for certain but I suspect yes. If you started the G license process first you essentially rewrite your G1 when you write your M1.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I got my G2 on the 19th for the first time, I've had my M since Sept 2016.
When I went to the DriveTest centre to figure out the logistics it came down to a couple things:
My G1 expired several years ago, but I could practice and whatnot with my M (acting G1). In conversations with various DriveTest centre employees and then eventually the manager, if your G1 is expired and you only have an M on license, you must redo the G1 test, and book the G2 accordingly. Although you don't need to do the wait period. The G2 test was pretty easy cuz I've been on the roads for a whole with the moto, but I hate how big cars are...
Hopefully that answers your question. I never really thought I would need a car or know how to drive since I grew up in Toronto, used transit all my life. But it's good to have the ability, knowledge and whatnot, and work rentals, yadda yadda yadda.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Edit: protip, be patient when talking to the DriveTest employees, the system that they use doesn't transition well from M to G1M, you may or may not have to pay for the tests again. Either the G1 written or the G2 to schedule.

Thanks, MangoRider. Your situation sounds similar to mine. I guess I'll go to the DriveTest centre prepared to rewrite the G1 test and armed with patience, since as you say, most people go in the other direction (car to bike rather than bike to car). As long as I can write the G1 and then schedule the G2 test right away, I suppose it's fine.

Just to follow up and maybe add a bit of advice to future people who find themselves in this situation.

I went to the DriveTest centre today. After waiting over an hour for my number to be called (grrr) I finally spoke to a gentleman at a wicket who insisted that the G class licence is a completely different process from the M class licence, and so I would have to write the G1 test, and then wait a year before I could take a road test.

I pleasantly countered that I’d been told differently online, and eventually he went to speak to his manager whereupon he learned a thing or two.

So here are the actual rules: I did need to rewrite the knowledge test because my M1 test was over 5 years ago. $16. Very easy to pass. With a full M licence, you don’t need to wait to do the G2 road test. And in fact, if you pass the G2 road test, you can do the full G road test right away if you want to. I scheduled my road test for next month ($53-ish — wish me luck!)

As MangoRider said, you might need to (politely) escalate the issue, because most of the people who work there have never encountered this situation and don’t know the rules as they apply to motorcyclists who want a car licence and have never had one.

Thanks again to MangoRider. Without your advice, I wouldn’t have known what to say.

Glad it worked out! Surprised the "I heard it online differently" actually persuaded the individual instead of just being ignorant and unhelpful... Good people learn their jobs tho.
Good luck on your test, although it's pretty simple if you've been riding for a while, traffic is easier to understand for sure than if you went in green.
Not sure when I should apply for my G test...haven't been on the highway enough in a car that's for sure...

Glad it worked out! Surprised the "I heard it online differently" actually persuaded the individual instead of just being ignorant and unhelpful... Good people learn their jobs tho.
Good luck on your test, although it's pretty simple if you've been riding for a while, traffic is easier to understand for sure than if you went in green.
Not sure when I should apply for my G test...haven't been on the highway enough in a car that's for sure...

You just need to lean on these people the proper way, like every other business, ask for the Supervisor/Manager and don't waste your time arguing with the clerk.

Years back my dad wanted to guarantor me for a Health Card as i had no other ID at the time. Service Ontario refused even though it was allowable. We argued with the clerk for a few minutes, went to the supervisor and was shown the door. So we called the Ontario Ombudsman and filed a complaint. We got a call to come back to the Service Ontario, where we had 2 managers apologizing profusely. We got a private room and the managers did all the paperwork processing themselves.

Back
Top Bottom