Gear shifts too noisy and bike jerks.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear shifts too noisy and bike jerks..

thegamb8

Hi all,

This is probably one of my first posts here. Ive been a lurker for a while looking at classifieds and reading up general stuff on this forum. Really great I must say.

So, to the point..

I purchased a 2000 CBR 929 RR Fireblade last week and I must say its been a fantastic joyride but I have a concern.

Ive noticed that when I shift the bike into 1st gear, the transition is really loud and also jerks the bike a bit (like a hiccup). What could that be? Do the gears need to be oiled? Plus, most of the shifts after are also pretty loud. Im not really used to this. Am I to show this to a mechanic? I had an R6 before and this never happened. The shifts were literally sound-less.

Any ideas / suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

p.s. can anyone please recommend me a mechanic who would be able to change my front brake pads in the Yonge / Sheppard area? Not Rosey Toes please, that place takes too much time due to volume + Ted installs stuff without asking and charges what he wants!

Unless it's making a long gravelly grinding sound, I wouldn't worry about it. The gearbox is bathed in engine oil, so no oiling of anything is needed.

Have you done an oil change yet? Could just be cheap oil in there, or some oil the bike doesnt like. Depending on the oil I use, i get rougher and louder gear shifts. Rotella T6, no issues. Rotella T6 synth? Loud, jerky shifts.

Up your way? Rosey Toes is the closest and it will be the cheapest for a licenced shop. Just set the price with ted before he starts working, he will honor it, and brake pad change doesnt take long at all if you go on a weekday when its not busy (saturday it will be a long time). Otherwise, theres Cyclewerx down on bloore near keele, or Pannon out in streetsville (missassauga). Theres also a couple other bike shops around but I cant remember the exact location. I think JohnnyP has a shop up that way but i cant remember. Someone will chime in here. I think Freakyguy also does bike work as well. Kneedragger (ken) will pickup the bike and bring it back if you get in touch with him.

Thanks bobjohnson, i'll get the oil flushed and put some new oil in. Thanks also for the mechanic suggestions. Anyone else know a guy close to Yonge / Sheppard?

Sounds like the clutch is misadjusted - but is it hydraulic, or does it have a cable?
If it's cable-operated, this is what happens when adjustment is required...
Seems your clutch might not be disengaging completely.
If clutch plates are old and saturated with oil, it can be difficult to separate the friction plates from the driven (steel) plates.
This is often manifested by a giant jerk when a gear is first selected. Make sure to keep a firm grip on front brake,
Regards

Thanks very much Gryphon! Yes the clutch is cable-operated and i'll get it checked out. It does look like the problem is what you are saying cos the 'giant jerk' is very much there.

Thanks very much Gryphon! Yes the clutch is cable-operated and i'll get it checked out. It does look like the problem is what you are saying cos the 'giant jerk' is very much there.

What rpm is the bike Idling at?

and yes I'd check the clutch

Hi Hachi-Roku, the bike idles at just between 1.25 and 1 rpm on a warm engine (60 deg Celsius++).

Hi Hachi-Roku, the bike idles at just between 1.25 and 1 rpm on a warm engine (60 deg Celsius++).

ummm

OK I'm assuming you mean 1000 - 1250 RPM
Should be around 600 - 800rpm at Idle

This may be why it's clunking into gear and Jerking

Lower the RPM and check Clutch

if the chain adjustment is too loose that will cause the clutch to clunk when going into gear and affect smooth gear changes while riding. a lower rpm level will mask the clutch noise, but the idle should be set at 1100 rpm for oil pressure. the clunk is the clutch basket breaking free as it opens, perfectly normal.

if the chain adjustment is too loose that will cause the clutch to clunk when going into gear and affect smooth gear changes while riding. a lower rpm level will mask the clutch noise, but the idle should be set at 1100 rpm for oil pressure. the clunk is the clutch basket breaking free as it opens, perfectly normal.

Yup
Don't know what I was thinking this morning
1100 rpm

hondas have always had this clutch basket clunk since day one (1960's) more so then any other jap motorcycle.

Thanks all for the advice / suggestions. I was able to make it to Rosey Toes yesterday and take Dave's & Ted's advice on it as well. Apart from an oil change and some chain lubrication, everything seems to be OK in the bike. They did mention what Stewart said above as well .. Honda's have this problem.

Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom