Gas mileage problem. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas mileage problem.

Cann999

Hi before I decide to take my bike in was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. Well this is my first year riding in T.O. Picked up a stock 2012 Kawasaki ER6N with under 4,000 km last November. Started riding it in March and had oil change/ general checkup done at 4,500 km (still running mineral oil) and bike currently has 5,500km.
So the issue seems to be that I'm getting some pretty bad mileage. When I did oil change I asked them and was told bike is still new will get better with time. I ride pretty much everyday to work about 9 km each way 90% city riding. Since I've been tracking milage lets say last bar is flashing and i put in 9-10 litres Ill get between 110 - 120 km. When I ride I keep revs between 4-5k. This seems like very low mileage even for city riding.

Also instrument panel usually shows around 17-18 km/L average mileage but no way I'm getting that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Sounds like about 2 gallons for 70 ish miles? 120kms in 9km segments. Sounds like a worst case scenerio on a mostly cold engine. Take some long runs. I bet the mileage improves. In magazine test rides the highest and lowest mileage seems to vary greatly per bike.

I'd say Im averaging 8L/100km which seems super low for this bike. Also I dont ride it hard at all. I will try your suggestion and take a long ride this weekend see if it improves.

Mileage can also change greatly if you're doing city riding vs highway riding due to frequent stops and starts. I doubt your bike measures the fuel consumption based on whether your on the highway or not. Also depends on how hard you accelerate...

Based on this site: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/er-6n , on average for the 2012 er6n is around 47mpg which converted is about 20km/l. On average according to this, you should be running at around 5L/100km.

P.S. Hey! I see you on that list with a N/A rating :p

Last edited:
Your fuel consumption has everything to do with your short commute, as was already pointed out by BNKN cold engine=high fuel consumption.

A longer run will return better fuel consumption numbers, but it won't do anything for your short commute numbers. You'll just have to move farther away from work ;)

Just for some sort of refrence my 2012 ninja 650 have just over 1000km on it and I'm getting about 4.5L/100km, mixed riding, most of my rides are over 30km.

Thanks for all the replies def something to think about. Its true i do usually do short commutes at a time. Somthat makes sense I was just hoping nothing wrong with the bike thats all. Hey PLAU ye I havent had a chnace to post anything on that site :p just pmed some ppl riding same bike for some info.

my 1340cc uses about 5L/100 km "normal" riding ,, 15km trips I can use as much as 10L/100km if I increase the rpm and speed a little and short rides

c'mon... my r6, which I ride to work, home for lunch and back, and home again in 2km trips gets better mileage than this. And I'm up at 8 -10k rpm. I'm getting mileage between 7 and 7.5L/100km. City driving.

c'mon... my r6, which I ride to work, home for lunch and back, and home again in 2km trips gets better mileage than this. And I'm up at 8 -10k rpm. I'm getting mileage between 7 and 7.5L/100km. City driving.

I don't know what an rpm is but 8-10 thousand sounds like a lot by the tone of your voice. I guess everybody here must be frootloops.

I def dont rev the engine that high I usually keep it around 4k, well pretty much in the "eco" zone.

I don't know what an rpm is but 8-10 thousand sounds like a lot by the tone of your voice. I guess everybody here must be frootloops.
An R6 is pretty gutless in the low "RPM's". IT's the bike, not the rider. mmm Frootloops, now I'm hungry. The comparison is important though, to show a super sport getting better mileage. I know nothing about the ER6N, except a quick look online. (Nice by the way) But for a comparable displacement and a twin. Something doesn't sound right. Air filter is clean right?

Track your actual mileage properly using your odometer and how much you put in. If you are gunning it off the line all the time, hitting piles of lights or getting stuck in stop and go traffic, your mileage will be worse.

Track it on Fuelly and compare to others. Look at the ER6N and 650R (since they are the same bike).

This is mine. 90% city stop and go down St. Clair mostly recently. Older, better fuel economy was when I was mostly just cruising around in the country.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/unl33t/ninja-650r/fuelchart

Last edited:
Thanks ill def try that. Funny enough im on St Clair and drive down that street all the time. Its horrible lol

Seems on the low side but for city it goes all over the place.
WHen I got my current 650 twin the mileage was 10% lower than my previous one with the same engine but lower KM. about 19km per l as opposed to 21 on the earlier model.

But when the KMs built up around 20,000 the engine was noticeably smoother and the mileage back up to 21 with 36,000 on the bike - so a 10% improvement over time.

But cold engine and stop and go will be a big factor. The ECVT in mine helps but there is still lots of energy loss in stop and go in the city.

Thanks ill def try that. Funny enough im on St Clair and drive down that street all the time. Its horrible lol

Is your bike yellow by chance?

Yep it yellow

Pretty sure I see you almost daily on Eglinton heading east. You go past Allen, right? I I've been in the white WRX with white rims and roof rack.

Sorry, off topic.

Back
Top Bottom