Gas fill up | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas fill up

samurai

I just got my bike and don't want to be embarrassed at the gas station so asking the question here:

Does the gas pump stop on its own like it does for the cars when the tank gets full or do I need to know how much to put in and stop manually?

Last edited:
It depends on how far the nozzle is in there. There is something in it to stop the over flow. With some bikes in the past I just had to watch as I filled, as I could not stick the whole nozzle in like a car. Always best to pay attention, even when you can just shove it in there.

With my GSA I put it in, like a car and just hold on full till it stops. Then pull back the nozzle and fill to the top by sight so no over flow.

I always watch as I fill, the nozzle would go so far into the tank that I'd probably underfill by at least a litre if I let it stop automatically.

Thanks all and thanks for the link. I will look visually to be sure and will not use a lighter :)

I don't even have the nozzle in that far down and it always clicks off when nearly full, same as the cage. I then proceed to add another buck or so very gently until it's completely full.

I stick the nozzle in the hole and squeeze it wide open, as it's getting close to 3/4 I ease off until the very edge of stopping the pump and pull the nozzle out of the hole but still in the tank (if that makes sense). This was I can get the tank full all the way up to where the hole is.
I used to let the pump shut off automatically (when it thought it was full) but it's so sensitive my gauge never read full, then to start the flow again the gas would come out too fast and splash back.
The way I do it now, splashing is minimal.

Most of us store extra fuel in our boots with the added bonus that it hardens your feet for long walks.

Just fill it very carefully, if you want a full tank you'll need to watch the levels, if you use the auto stop feature on the pumps you won't get anywhere near a full tank. Just watch for the occasional insane pump that has only two levels: 1 Niagara Falls and 2. Off.

got it, did my first fill up last night as soon as the bike went in reserve...

I kept the hose higher so I could see and watched the tank until it filled up and stopped as soon as the gas came close to the top, the bike took about 10 litres and everyone's happy :)

If it's not 10.234 L then your bike will explode...you'll have to go back with a pipette.

Please remember where you are....and explain what a pipette is. Otherwise you will have many who are wondering why you would need to go back with a female pipe.

depends on your bike, if you have the tank infront of the seat like most bikes than you fill by sight, if you have the tank under the seat (like certain bmws and the vmax) with a fake tank infront of the seat then you might fill it like a car.

VROD fills under seat. Gotta watch it or you underfill.

noob here also, but will take a shot at this.
Use your sight. The bike's owner manual may even explain that you dont want to completely fill the tank as gas expands.. so a over filled tank would be dangerous. It may reccommend that you do not fill past a point that you actually need to look into the tank to see.

Plus the sensor that stops the pump would be different from pump to pump, so you may end up spilling gas over your new "baby"..
I did my first fill earlier this week, and slowly used sight.

Better to look new and safe than to be skilled and screw it up.

There's an air valve in the end of the nozzle that shuts off the pump if the tip gets submerged. Stay on the bike, lower the tip into the tank to the desired fill level and hold it there with both hands. It will shut off automatically when the fuel fills enough to reach the tip.
Be careful not to scratch the inside of your tank with the metal nozzle - it has a special protective coating.

Your gas tank is directly over a big hot oven so the fluid will expand as it warms. Quite a bit, actually. If you fill to the brim, fuel may start squirting out everywhere after a few minutes and soak your bike from the top down. You may even have time to pay and resume driving before it starts coming out your keyhole. This is dangerous.

When I first learned this, my bike had wet itself and stunk of gasoline so I studied it instead of resuming my journey. I eventually figured out why my engine was drenched in gasoline roughly around the time the bike had dried off which took quite a few minutes. Don't overfill your tank.

On the other hand, if you ever wanted to pilot a fireball, now you know how.

Soo.... I was kinda wondering.... What are you supposed to do if you happened to overfill to the point where its about to spill out?

Soo.... I was kinda wondering.... What are you supposed to do if you happened to overfill to the point where its about to spill out?
Most bikes have a line that links from the tank to somewhere under the bike (look under your bike - it's probably one of the hoses that isn't connected to anything. Or it also might be a hose that's supposed to be connected to something :eek:). If you overfill, it comes out of that hose.

Back
Top Bottom