Garmin Zumo on sale | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin Zumo on sale

What happens if you decide not to follow your own route on the Garmin for a short time (washroom, gas, lunch etc. )? Will the Garmin take you back to your route or will it automatically recalculate your route into a completely different route (shortest time/distance) from what you had planned?

It keeps recalculating. At first, it'll try to get you back on the same route. If you disobey long enough, it has to make another route. "Make a U turn" happens often.

It keeps recalculating. At first, it'll try to get you back on the same route. If you disobey long enough, it has to make another route. "Make a U turn" happens often.

I've been thinking about getting one of these. I thought it had a "skip waypoint" feature that eliminated the "make a u-turn" issue.

Older Garmins had a detour icon that could be used to switch routes on the fly, if something happened suddenly.
The newer ones that have foursquare, seem to have that feature removed, and try to route you back to the original route for longer.
Neither of them was perfect, as they would both have to recalculate the route, which . . . could . . . take . . . some . . . time.

Older Garmins had a detour icon that could be used to switch routes on the fly, if something happened suddenly.
The newer ones that have foursquare, seem to have that feature removed, and try to route you back to the original route for longer.
Neither of them was perfect, as they would both have to recalculate the route, which . . . could . . . take . . . some . . . time.
On a long route (1000 km+) I would turn off auto-recalculate on my old SP III. It could easily take 20 minutes to recalculate and by the time it was done, if you werent on the path it hoped for, it would immediately recalculate again. Basically you had to stop and let it decide on a route and then just try to find your way back to the line if you took a detour.

Got the new one delivered tonight. The wiring is different (and much shorter), so it looks like I'll have to rip the bike apart tomorrow to install it. The installation hardware, is identical, so that can stay.

Having an old issue crop back up. This new GPS is supposed to come with unlimited maps. I bought City Navigator separately for the 550, but lost the 25 digit security key. Basecamp only seems to have maps from the City Navigator, of which the 2020.2 version is locked. I seem to remember it being a long and convoluted process that Garmin put me through to unlock it.

Maybe expecting the new 396 map to install nicely into the existing Basecamp was being too optimistic.

It's possible that I have some Garmin stuff on the C drive & some on the D, and it's getting confused as to what is where.

Having an old issue crop back up. This new GPS is supposed to come with unlimited maps. I bought City Navigator separately for the 550, but lost the 25 digit security key. Basecamp only seems to have maps from the City Navigator, of which the 2020.2 version is locked. I seem to remember it being a long and convoluted process that Garmin put me through to unlock it.

Maybe expecting the new 396 map to install nicely into the existing Basecamp was being too optimistic.

It's possible that I have some Garmin stuff on the C drive & some on the D, and it's getting confused as to what is where.

Do you have a Garmin ID that you've registered your City Navigator map to?

If so, you can probably login to the Garmin website and recover the security key.

URL is here:

However, if your new GPS comes with lifetime maps, you should probably use those instead of your City Navigator maps. You can copy the maps from the 396 into Basecamp using Garmin Express. There is an option in the program, it looks like this:

express.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a Garmin ID that you've registered your City Navigator map to?

If so, you can probably login to the Garmin website and recover the security key.

URL is here:

However, if your new GPS comes with lifetime maps, you should probably use those instead of your City Navigator maps. You can copy the maps from the 396 into Basecamp using Garmin Express. There is an option in the program, it looks like this:

View attachment 44997
I installed it, but the same directories on the D drive. It's possible that since I wasn't using it, the Basecamp had originally installed to the C drive.
Some software installation is still stupid that way. My C drive is mainly for the OS, as there's only 500 Gb on it, and software nowadays eats memory faster than my children eat meat - looking at you @油井緋色 - to start fixing this issue that your generation has created. We shouldn't have to rent enough rooms to fill a convention hotel, to have a nice holiday as a couple.

The fricken negative wire is two inches too short. WTF! That's going from the shortest route, as well.
The old 550 cable was about six inches too long, which was easy to snip off.
So I routed the wire through to find this out, which took some time since there's an auto breaker box in the middle, which means removing covers.
Anyways, I may have to pull it out and reinstall it, or install the cradle to the connector and then to the "ram"* mount - the cradle connector cannot be installed after the "ram" mount.

Hopefully, I can sort the rest out today. I still think it's better than just using a phone. I may get a RAM phone mount for backup.

*mount in package now says Garmin, old one said RAM.

Probably stating the obvious, but maybe try backing up all your GPX files, uninstalling Basecamp and doing a fresh install in one place.
Already done. Friggin' thing installs automatically to the C drive. Map asked me, so I installed it to the D drive. They can't see each other. I tried to reinstall the map to C, even though I don't have the space for it, and it no longer offers an option to select the drive, only allows D. I really don't want to get messing around with the registry for this. Garmin! Learn to code!

Will have to reuninstall everything and see if I can get them linked, after I extend the wire harness they gave me by a couple of inches.
An . . . ti . . . ci . . . pa . . . tion, making me wait!

Everything's installed now. Will take the bike out for a shakedown run in the a.m., then play around with the new features and try to get them working properly.

Not as great as it used to be. A guy I worked with bought a cd or dvd burner and then returned it months later to trade it for a better one, rinse and repeat. They changed the policy a little after that, as many people were abusing it.
Thats everyone at redflagdeals.com... loool j/k

I used to use an automotive (not waterproof) gps until I drowned it on Hwy 141 a few years ago in a downpour.
Now I use a zumo for big picture stuff ( I just leave it on all day without a route) and my (waterproof) phone for using google maps to pinpoint a location. I also use waze for cops or mapsme from time to time.
yes the phone can dislodge. My buddy had to call it so we could find it lol. The price one pays for not using the rubber retainer thingy that comes with the X clamp.

Back
Top Bottom