Garmin Zumo on sale | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin Zumo on sale

Offline maps and the mobile doesn't require cell service for GPS positioning.
But I still prefer a dedicated GPS unit over a phone.

yup

and it's a false argument that you have to choose one over the other
all of us that like the dedicated bike GPS still carry a phone

google, google maps and booking are used as an information resource
to help decide certain things for the route
once that decision is made, the waypoint goes into the GPS
and the phone is off, safely in a jacket pocket

yup

and it's a false argument that you have to choose one over the other
all of us that like the dedicated bike GPS still carry a phone

google, google maps and booking are used as an information resource
to help decide certain things for the route
once that decision is made, the waypoint goes into the GPS
and the phone is off, safely in a jacket pocket
Yup. I actually use my phone when I pitstop and decide where to go next. GPS most of time just helps me see whats ahead or around, and general direction.

If you have Waze running on your phone and your phone is connected to the GPS, then GPS connected to Bluetooth headset, you can have music running from your phone, directions from the GPS and any speed traps or hazard warnings from Waze through your headset. This GPS can control your music too so it’s a nice secure, weatherproof control interface. I don’t personally adjust anything while I’m riding but it’s at hand for stops and works with gloves on. The wiring and mounting kit you get with this Zumo is also great so you’re not running down your phone or dealing with vibration on your USB mounts/connections to your phone.

With this Garmin Zumo 396 4.3 Motorcycle Navigator, is it compatible with BASECAMP to put together your own routes?

I have one of those and yes, it will work with Basecamp.

Although Basecamp is a sh1tty, non-intuitive application, terrible for planning routes.

If you can find a copy of MapSource, use that instead. Although it's older, but much better.

If you can find a copy of MapSource, use that instead. Although it's older, but much better.

You can still download it here:

It will ask you for a serial number for an older copy of Mapsource, but you can around this by extracting the .exe file (it's just a self-extracting zip file) into a separate directory and running MSMain.msi directly instead of the Setup.exe.

Last edited:
I have one of those and yes, it will work with Basecamp.

Although Basecamp is a sh1tty, non-intuitive application, terrible for planning routes.

I have had great success using Google "My Maps" to create routes and just using BaseCamp to convert the KML file to GPX and export to my 396.

Is Zumo waterproof?

Honestly, it’s a decent reasonably future proof unit. For the prices you can find it’s a good deal. Once it’s set up properly it works well. Mine is also set up to reset a digital fuel gauge when I stop to fill up as a back up to the bike one. If you want to get fancy I think this unit works with Garmin pressure checking tire caps too. The traffic function works OK in big centres and the weather function isn’t too bad either.

I think my ten year old Zumo 550 is done.
Screen has started to turn orange.
glZTbrgm.jpg

Is the extra ten dollars worth it to get a new one from Costco over a Calgary based company?

I like my phone mounted on it's holder in the middle of my handlebars. If I crash, I'm OK with it flying off and doing whatever it may do - I've probably got bigger fish to fry.

Keeping it in your jacket pocket? Seems unwise to me - again, if I crash the last thing I want is a metal and glass candy bar right next to my innards. Better off flying down the road or into the ditch or wherever IF it comes off the handlebar mount, which is hardly guaranteed, either....

Costco has a great return policy.
Not as great as it used to be. A guy I worked with bought a cd or dvd burner and then returned it months later to trade it for a better one, rinse and repeat. They changed the policy a little after that, as many people were abusing it.

Not as great as it used to be. A guy I worked with bought a cd or dvd burner and then returned it months later to trade it for a better one, rinse and repeat. They changed the policy a little after that, as many people were abusing it.

True that but it’s still better than most other places.

I know a guy that used to go out to Crappy Tire before a camping trip, buy a tent, use it then return it for a refund afterwards.

True that but it’s still better than most other places.

I know a guy that used to go out to Crappy Tire before a camping trip, buy a tent, use it then return it for a refund afterwards.
I ended up buying it at Costco. It and MEC have great return policies, but I don't want to abuse them.

Back
Top Bottom