Garmin Zumo on sale | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin Zumo on sale

meh

why buy that when iPhone 11 is on sale for $1,100 ?
and it's so advanced you have to take the gloves off to use it

but seriously, 380 CAD is a great deal

I have this Zumo. It’s been flawless. If it ever breaks I’d buy it again. I like my phone in my pocket where it’s safe.

Last edited:
I have this Zumo. It’s been flawless. If it ever breaks I’d buy it again. I like my phone in my pocket where it’s safe.
How is your 396 in direct sunlight?
I used a new Zumo XT for 45 minutes.
Was very easy to read at 100% brightness.
(Zumo XT will only run a short time without dedicated power being hooked up. It goes to 40% for a few minutes, then auto shuts down. I didn't like that.)
I had a zumo 550. It died. Using a garmin car gps atm, and liking the 396 price. Tnx!

How is your 396 in direct sunlight?
I used a new Zumo XT for 45 minutes.
Was very easy to read at 100% brightness.
(Zumo XT will only run a short time without dedicated power being hooked up. It goes to 40% for a few minutes, then auto shuts down. I didn't like that.)
I had a zumo 550. It died. Using a garmin car gps atm, and liking the 396 price. Tnx!

got to be honest...,there are times that it’s harder to read than others but I bought a cheap hood for it from amazon and it’s fine now.

It's probably safer in a dedicated phone holder than your pocket.
I disagree with that.

While riding, your body does a great job isolating the phone from vibration and impact. The vast majority of mounts do not (they are intentionally rigid so the screen isn't vibrating and hard to read).

In a crash, the forces go really high and I haven't seen a mount that I would trust to hold a phone, therefore your phone is flying free. Now not only is it unprotected, you have no bleeping idea where it is. If it's in your pocket, it has a little protection and you know exactly where it is (with you in the ditch).

While I like waze for a lot of reasons, on a bike a phone is always in the same zippered pocket. If I want to run waze, that is a second phone.

Better than a phone if you travel outside Canada (no roaming charges).

I disagree with that.

While riding, your body does a great job isolating the phone from vibration and impact. The vast majority of mounts do not (they are intentionally rigid so the screen isn't vibrating and hard to read).

In a crash, the forces go really high and I haven't seen a mount that I would trust to hold a phone, therefore your phone is flying free. Now not only is it unprotected, you have no bleeping idea where it is. If it's in your pocket, it has a little protection and you know exactly where it is (with you in the ditch).

While I like waze for a lot of reasons, on a bike a phone is always in the same zippered pocket. If I want to run waze, that is a second phone.

I had a slight off in the ganny this year with my phone in my pocket. Won’t do that again after the bruising it left on my thigh.

Nothing ever goes in pants pockets for that reason. Jacket pockets against my belly to try to avoid pressure points.
I got made fun of here, for saying that you shouldn't carry hex keys in your pockets, decades ago.
That left an impression on me. Times have changed. I usually carry my wallet there, but nothing else.

I had mine fall off the bike (my fault for fiddling with it while riding) at about 80kph.
The zumo then dislodged, bounced down the road and I thought it was a goner.
Turned the bike around, picked it up from the road, dusted of the road debris, plugged it back in and it works just fine!
Just make sure you are satisfied with it's position for viewing before you ride and don't do what I did and attempt adjusting while riding or you can pull it right out of the base/holder and possibly experience the aforementioned.
I made my own sun shade (I don't think garmin offers one as an accessory).
Two way tape, some thin flexible plastic cut to the shape and size you like makes a good sun shade.

zūmo® 396 LMT-S
4.3" Motorcycle Navigator
With this Garmin Zumo 396 4.3 Motorcycle Navigator, is it compatible with BASECAMP to put together your own routes?

Back
Top Bottom