Garmen 396 on sale | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmen 396 on sale

I assume the music function works the same on the 395 as my 595. I have my Sena paired only to my phone, and the Garmin to my phone. This way, music is streamed directly from my phone to the headset, but I can control it from the Garmin UI.

I'll have to try that out.

My workaround was to pair my Sena directly to my iPhone and bypass the Garmin entirely. I don't really use voice guidance or audio route alerts, so I'm not missing out on much on that end.

I can use the Sena jogdial to play/pause/FF/RW/volume +/-, but it would be nice to scroll through a playlist on the GPS instead of just having it start from the last song in the shuffle.

I assume the music function works the same on the 395 as my 595. I have my Sena paired only to my phone, and the Garmin to my phone. This way, music is streamed directly from my phone to the headset, but I can control it from the Garmin UI.

I'll have to try that out.

I just tried.

It works as you described, you can control the iPhone from the 395 and have the music output through the Sena.

Unfortunately, the media player on the 395 sucks balls. It doesn't show any playlists, not even any song or artist information. Where the song information should be just says "Bluetooth Audio", and then below are the control buttons for Play/Pause, FF and Rewind. Exactly the same controls I have on the Sena jogdial...

Oh well, good suggestion... if you have a 595 with the better media player.

I bought one just for it being more weather proof than the 11 year old nuvi 250 I've been using...
It'll be nice not having to stop and bag my GPS every time it's starts raining

No 3.5mm output on the 396. I store all my music on SD card in the unit. Sounds good to me considering the 40mm speakers in my helmet. Album covers show on the garmin. Can choose artists or albums. Make playlists.
I don’t pair my phone with my helmet coms. I pair the phone to the 396 and pair the 396 to my coms. Works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried.

It works as you described, you can control the iPhone from the 395 and have the music output through the Sena.

Unfortunately, the media player on the 395 sucks balls. It doesn't show any playlists, not even any song or artist information. Where the song information should be just says "Bluetooth Audio", and then below are the control buttons for Play/Pause, FF and Rewind. Exactly the same controls I have on the Sena jogdial...

Oh well, good suggestion... if you have a 595 with the better media player.

Weird, this is what the 595 media player looks like over bluetooth. Album art, Artist, Title, Album Title.

I can browse my iphone music by artist, album, and I think playlist. Browsing is a pain though as you have to go page by page starting at A to get to where you want, no search function or go directly to a letter.

1571527018788.png

Weird, this is what the 595 media player looks like over bluetooth. Album art, Artist, Title, Album Title.

Not weird at all, I just have the cheaper no-frills model.

The 395 shows all that detail for local files on the SD card:

garmin1.jpg

but when you play mp3s over Bluetooth, it just displays "Bluetooth Audio":

garmin2.jpg

And I just found out the play button doesn't pause. So I can only skip to the next song or reverse to the previous song.

Cheap.

And I just found out the play button doesn't pause. So I can only skip to the next song or reverse to the previous song.

Cheap.

Guess I gave Garmin too much credit thinking that there was no way they would remove a basic feature like that.

Software changes like that cost nothing to implement. They only took it away because it's the "entry-level" model and they need something to incent buyers to spring for the more expensive model. :mad:

I wonder if it may be possible to load 396 firmware on the 395. Was able to hack my 590 to run 595 firmware, but it's identical hardware wise. I know the 396 has some hardware changes.

I wonder if it may be possible to load 396 firmware on the 395. Was able to hack my 590 to run 595 firmware, but it's identical hardware wise. I know the 396 has some hardware changes.

Would probably have to bypass Garmin Express somehow and manually install the firmware.

I tried to find someone who's done the same. Nothing. Call me a scaredycat but I'm afraid of this:

garmin.jpg

Are you playing files off of a phone connected to your Garmin...?
'Cus yeah... 'Seems the pause and volume control don't function when doing so.

Loading music onto the GPS (I installed a micro SD card) and playing the files on the unit... everything works.
Paired with a bluetooth speaker, or headset.... everything works.

Pairing a phone to the GPS so you can play music through earbuds and control play/pause/volume on the phone via the GPS's screen... No worky.

Edited to add... But unplug the earbud jack and pause control via the GPS screen reappears...

Are you playing files off of a phone connected to your Garmin...?

Yeah, I was just lamenting that the 395 has a substandard audio system and the output sounds tinny, so I was playing mp3s off my phone instead. regder mentioned he could control the phone via his 595, and I thought "hey, maybe the 395 can also do that". And as you found out as well:

no worky.

Lesson: If mp3s are important to you, spend the money for the 595.

Any idea if this 396LMT will fit a mount that accepts the 350/390/395LM? AFAIK the mount fits these but the 396 looks like it holds at the sides instead of top/bottom.

Back
Top Bottom