Ganaraska's Lookout Hill closed due to erosion | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ganaraska's Lookout Hill closed due to erosion

gqelements

Site Supporter
...hopefully Ganaraska authorities have a plan for rehabilitating that area, not just throw up a "No Motorized Vehicles" signs and leaving it for years, like they've done with the other hills that were eroded in the past few years.

The Ganaraska isn't a riding area or an off road vehicle park. It's a managed woodlot with conservation and multi-use recreational components. Their mandate doesn't include grooming or rehabbing the trail system or parts of it as far as I know, but they do work on the access roads.

Lookout hill is essentially a large pile of glacially deposited sand & gravel with a thin layer of light loam overtop making it highly susceptible to erosion. Given that it's one of the few hills in the forest it's a popular spot, but given it's soil structure there's not much they can do to rehabilitate it for motorized use that wouldn't involve dramatic changes to the soil/aggregate make up and would cost a lot of money. In short - The barriers likely won't be coming down.

It's been a few years since I was at lookout hill, but it's been under erosion pressure for a long time. It's mentioned in the link below from November 2004 and the one below that from 2007.
Ganaraska Forest Recreational User Committee Minutes - Nov 4 | Ontario Dual Sport Club Forum

Ganaraska Forest Recreational User Committee Minutes Sept 6 | Ontario Dual Sport Club Forum

That's probably the only part I would want to ride.

That's probably the only part I would want to ride.

Actually, it's probably the part you wouldn't bother with. There's plenty of tight, technical single track and lots of log piles and debris fields when they're harvesting. There's also a number of abandoned drystone fence lines here and there. It's 11,000 acres so there's plenty of stuff to ride, but from a trials bike perspective there's better places.

Having been the head of trail maintenance for the provinces largest ATV club. I can attest, it is a very delicate balance, between leaving the environment in it's natural state and maintaining it for use by motorized vehicles, ATV's, Sleds, and Off road bikes.

When a decision is made to try to maintain a hill which is eroding, it is almost always a losing battle. It is also as eluded to earlier, EXTREMELY.expensive. I personally know of a hill on private property, in the 5 points area, of the Kawarthas, which we tried and tried to stop the erosion, caused by rainfall, as a result of the ground cover being killed off, due to vehicular travel. There was well over $50,000 put into the project over a period of a couple of years. Finally, the landowner, requested the trail be closed to preserve what was remaining and allowing for natural ground cover to be reestablished. We were fortunate, that we were able, (with the assistance of several landowners), to reroute the trail to bypass the hilly terrain.

So, although not familiar with this particular hill, (but based upon my trail maintenance experience), I would suspect, given their mandate, Ganaraska, will keep the area off limits to vehicular traffic, for several years, if not permanently.

As far as I understand, the people in charge of Ganaraska Forest, and who charge $175 per annum for a motorized permit do not put any maintenance into the forest trails. Yes, the road is maintained at times, but not the double or single track trails.

This lookout hill is a popular location for most ATV and dirt bike riders, oh and the odd horseback rider I've see up there.

I have a bad feeling that "the sand hill" will be next :(

Most of the hills have been closed for years, people just choose to ignore it. There are other ways to get up to lookout hill not just the face of it.

Look out hill - it that the huge sand hill?

As far as I understand, the people in charge of Ganaraska Forest, and who charge $175 per annum for a motorized permit do not put any maintenance into the forest trails. Yes, the road is maintained at times, but not the double or single track trails.

Incorrect. The trail riding company "Trail Tours" does regular maintenance on the single track stuff. After windstorms they have people going all over the place removing larger fallen trees etc.

Sand hills are easy to fix, you just send the sand from the bottom of the hill back up to the top. It's the top soil layer which supports vegetation that is fragile. Nothing promotes trail erosion faster then quads and horses, they are evil things. The quads that is, the horses aren't evil they just go where the rider points em.

... you are suppose to just ride over the fallen trees, that's part of the terrain challenge ;)

Incorrect. The trail riding company "Trail Tours" does regular maintenance on the single track stuff. After windstorms they have people going all over the place removing larger fallen trees etc.
Trail Tours is private. Has nothing to do with the $175 motorized permit you buy. If TT sends people out it's to clear the small area their group rides.
Most of the singletrack clearing is done by the diehards that ride there often. I know, because I'm one of them.

Back
Top Bottom