FZ 07, FZ 09, or FZ 10? | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZ 07, FZ 09, or FZ 10?

lator-illa

I got rid of my Daytona last season and i've narrowed down my options to a standard/naked bike. Specifically, the ones listed on the title.

What do you guys recommend? This will be street only (I might take it to the track like once or twice).

Reading on multiple forums, many folk seem to dig the FZ 09 alot! I'm leaning towards that but perhaps some can convince me to lean towards the other two...or maybe another manufacturer! Opinions?

FZ-09.

Been out a few years now, they have worked out the kinks/issues and its now a solid bike.

Pipe, tuned forks, flashed ECU, and some sticky rubber and you would be hasseling a lot of bikes on the track.

Check your insurance provider too.

Fz 07 is an all arounder zippy machine
Fz 09 is a powerful wheelie machine
Fz 10 i haven't researched at all

So depends on what kind of rider you are and if you can keep it tame :p

MT10 > FZ07 > FZ09

Of course if you liked the triple in the Daytona maybe the FZ09 is the one for you. I'm personally not a fan.

Only reason I didn't consider the street triple is because I had my Daytona for 2.5 years. lol

Xsr900 personally I like the look better

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

if your insurance will allow id say new mt10 for sure. ive ridden the fz09 and it was wild, not a bike for me though. i've heard the fz07 is a waste of time. i've got friends with fz07 and fz09 and theyre both pretty happy though.

The MT10 looks killer but I bet its insurance premiums will rule it out for most.

Can't get over how bad the headlights look on both the MT-10 and street triple.

I don't mind them actually (on the FZ 10).

UPDATE: Just got a quote from my insurance company and all 3 bikes cost the same to insure. Strange, I know. The rate is decent too which i'm guessing is due to me having my car and house insurance with them.

if your insurance will allow id say new mt10 for sure. ive ridden the fz09 and it was wild, not a bike for me though. i've heard the fz07 is a waste of time. i've got friends with fz07 and fz09 and theyre both pretty happy though.
I have an FZ-07 and love it. It would only be a waste of time if you're coming from a faster bike, like a Daytona. In this situation I say go with the FZ-09 or XSR900.

I wrote this in another thread. My honest opinion on the FZ09 which I own.

Some portions might not be applicable to your question

I have had a 2014 FZ09 for about a year now. It is hard to help you make that decision since I don't know you. I know that 3 years ago, I wasn't ready to own this type of bike, I was into the Superbike/sport and felt that I needed to have a sports bike, but now I see what a waste it is to have one when the most I do is commute and long road trips, for others is different so it isn't really about the bike but more about where you are on your riding "life"

Let me tell you about the bike:

The good:
- The most fun I have had in 2 wheels (except for racing of course) - the engine characteristics, the torque is just amazing - I still giggle every time I ride the bike and look forward to it every day, this was no longer the case with my GSXR750 or 1000.
- Seating position is awesome - you are very upright like in a supermoto or dirt bike and are able to really see the traffic around you, excellent commuter and fantastic seating position.
- Plenty of after market parts to make the bike your own and replace some of the shortfalls

In short, a fantastic city fun bike that won't break your back while commuting a great bike for long trips

The Bad:
The Seat: It was fine for like a month and then I started getting a wedgy every time I rode, a huge pain in the *** for me, more like pain in my balls to be honest so I had to replace it - many aftermarket choices and do it yourself fixes, I went with a corbin, expensive but worth it since like I said I ride long trips.
The suspension: The rear shock is garbage depending of your weight, you can adjust it a bit and make it better but it is what it is. I replaced mine with a $50 zx6r shock (plentt of how to guides on the FZ09.org forum) and that cheap mod made it completely better.
The front forks are soft but with some adjustment you can make it a lot better without spending any money, I put heavier springs on mine and changed the oil for from a 5 to a 7.5 (about 150 in parts).

So yes it has shorts falls but there is something on it you won't find in any other bike specially t that price range, the loads of fun that bike is to ride.

Again, if what you want is pose and have the latest best sport bike then this is not the bike for you, if you want a solid fast fun versatile bike this is the bike for you.

I know a few people that got it and sold it because there were not into the type of bike and went back to super sport bikes.

Hope this helps, I would say if you can test ride one.

Oh and the jerky throttle thing is not that bad and to be honest one of the favorite things about this bike, just make sure the bike has the 2015 map on it which can be done at an yamaha dealer for free.

I have had a 2014 FZ09 for about a year now. It is hard to help you make that decision since I don't know you. I know that 3 years ago, I wasn't ready to own this type of bike, I was into the Superbike/sport and felt that I needed to have a sports bike, but now I see what a waste it is to have one when the most I do is commute and long road trips, for others is different so it isn't really about the bike but more about where you are on your riding "life"

The good:
- The most fun I have had in 2 wheels (except for racing of course) - the engine characteristics, the torque is just amazing - I still giggle every time I ride the bike and look forward to it every day, this was no longer the case with my GSXR750 or 1000.
- Seating position is awesome - you are very upright like in a supermoto or dirt bike and are able to really see the traffic around you, excellent commuter and fantastic seating position.
- Plenty of after market parts to make the bike your own and replace some of the shortfalls

In short, a fantastic city fun bike that won't break your back while commuting a great bike for long trips

The Bad:
The Seat: It was fine for like a month and then I started getting a wedgy every time I rode, a huge pain in the *** for me, more like pain in my balls to be honest so I had to replace it - many aftermarket choices and do it yourself fixes, I went with a corbin, expensive but worth it since like I said I ride long trips.
The suspension: The rear shock is garbage depending of your weight, you can adjust it a bit and make it better but it is what it is. I replaced mine with a $50 zx6r shock (plentt of how to guides on the FZ09.org forum) and that cheap mod made it completely better.
The front forks are soft but with some adjustment you can make it a lot better without spending any money, I put heavier springs on mine and changed the oil for from a 5 to a 7.5 (about 150 in parts).

So yes it has shorts falls but there is something on it you won't find in any other bike specially t that price range, the loads of fun that bike is to ride.

Again, if what you want is pose and have the latest best sport bike then this is not the bike for you, if you want a solid fast fun versatile bike this is the bike for you.

I know a few people that got it and sold it because there were not into the type of bike and went back to super sport bikes.

Oh and the jerky throttle thing is not that bad and to be honest one of the favorite things about this bike, just make sure the bike has the 2015 map on it which can be done at an yamaha dealer for free.

Thank you for that! Great breakdown!

As I stated in my initial thread, my choice is for a naked/standard bike. Mainly because it will be used predominantly for commuting or longer trips. Fortunately, i've grown out of the feeling to need to have a supersport on the street. Everytime I rode my Daytona to work or just to cruise, I kept having the feeling of how nonsensical it was to own this sort of bike. The fun was kind of gone to be honest.

I do have a test ride on the thing, but I opted for the FZ 10. Hopefully, I can try out the FZ9 as well. Realistically, id probably settle for the FZ9 anyway as it costs half as much.

As for the jerky throttle, i'm sure i'll get used to it. The Daytona's are notorious for that!

Thank you for that! Great breakdown!

As I stated in my initial thread, my choice is for a naked/standard bike. Mainly because it will be used predominantly for commuting or longer trips. Fortunately, i've grown out of the feeling to need to have a supersport on the street. Everytime I rode my Daytona to work or just to cruise, I kept having the feeling of how nonsensical it was to own this sort of bike. The fun was kind of gone to be honest.

I do have a test ride on the thing, but I opted for the FZ 10. Hopefully, I can try out the FZ9 as well. Realistically, id probably settle for the FZ9 anyway as it costs half as much.

As for the jerky throttle, i'm sure i'll get used to it. The Daytona's are notorious for that!

Yea the comments about sports vs naked were just copied and pasted in response to the other thread OP.

I end up getting a reflash done on it, not necessary but I wanted a few other things the flash gave me:

Adjustability for ignition timing, fly by wire settings for each mode, fuel mapping, start up mode, fan temps, disabling ais valve, injector decel cut, o2 sensor disable, speed limiter removal, and ecu based quick shifting

I paid 180 US return shipping included.

Do you have a screen on your FZ-09? I demoed one last year and at anything faster than 100 it was unbearable. It didn't seem like the type of bike you could do a lot of highway riding on.

The good:

The Bad:

Really good review. I still don't understand why others give their expert opinion on the three when the haven't ridden an of them.

Pretty fair assessment - kid did not like the ergos on the FZ9 over the Fz8 and of coruse first model year risks but the biggest factor was an insane $6990 for a new Fz8 - no brainer.

••••

Kid is drooling over FZ10 even tho he is still tweaking the FZ8

Yamaha-MT-10-Motorcycle-2.jpg

still hasn't paid off his FZ8 ....sigh.

You can play hooligan with them and tour cross country ( seat change suggested )
...the upright seating is simply brilliant.

You can compare seating here
http://cycle-ergo.com

They are compact bikes and like the other commenter ....kid has fun every day on it.

Last edited:
I think coming off the Daytona, there is no benefit to the fz-07 over the other two bikes. You may find it underpowered. Personally, I can't speak to the mt10 as I haven't ridden it, but I sat on it at the bike show this weekend, and the thing is beyond ugly (to my tastes) and is quite pricey

I just picked up a brand new 2014 fz-09 last month after tons of research, and it is the perfect bike for me. Super powerful, very comfortable and extremely flickable. I was coming off a 2007 zx6r, and am loving my new comfy seating position and laughable amount of torque.

My only complaint with the bike was the seating position was a tad too upright for me, but a pair of ProTaper Carmichael handlebars fixed that and now she's perfect. Join the dark side!

2rh5niv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom