Fuel mileage after mods | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fuel mileage after mods

LesMcLuffAlot

I have a 2009 Kawi KLX250sf. The supermoto model.

I just had some basic mods done. Air snorkle removal, stage 2 jet kit, muzzy full exhuast.

When it was stock, I would get around 160km's from the 7.7litre tank aggresive city riding. I would switch it to reserve and head for a gas station pretty soon after.

The mods have made a noticeable improvement in performance. It pulls a lot harder and starts easier on cold mornings. Throttle response is quicker. The downside is the first full tank after the mods I got slightly over 140km's and the second tank it was 137km's before I had to switch it to reserve.

Is it normal to lose that much mileage for these types of mods?

I'm also considering a 351cc bore kit. Now I'm worried I might get only around 100km's from a tank....lol. So much for touring on this bike.

opening up the intake / exhaust will do that.....just make sure it is making more power and not loosing it alll.....

I presume that you have installed that jetting kit at its default settings. It has been my experience that jetting kits (and Power Commander maps) have default settings that are too rich. Try leaning out the needle (install the clip in a higher groove on the needle so that it sits lower in the carb) as that's the setting that normally has the biggest effect on fuel consumption. There's no way to do it other than trial and error. Go 1 clip position at a time until you start getting stumbling and hesitation on takeoff, then slip a washer under the clip to adjust it half a clip position.

If it starts to get just a wee bit cold-blooded, and wants the choke on for a little bit after a cold start, but runs well when hot, it's probably in the ballpark.

Yep, trial and error as Brian have said. We have done so with with my DRZ and now my mileage is pretty much the same as stock, regardless how much I beat on it. I don't have am aftermarket pipe, just opened up air box and a new jet kit .... my throttle response in night and a day compared to stock.

Clutch in and kill the engine while cruising at a speed / throttle position that's most common for you (or do multiple runs at different throttle positions). Come to a safe stop and pull the spark plug and reference this site: http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

Depending on how well the jet kit is working for your setup, you may be able to improve your mileage by swapping jets or working with the a/f.

I am always amazed how people recommend to pull a spark plug on the side of the road from a 4 stroke. Does really anyone uses this method nowadays??

Back
Top Bottom