FRZ 400 Mechanic | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FRZ 400 Mechanic

For the cylinders with low compression, add some oil to them (through the spark plug hole) then rerun the compression test to see if it increases. If it does, it's the rings. If it doesn't, then it's the valves. Or possibly the head gasket - you can tell if there are bubbles in the cooling system as you perform the compression test, or if it's really bad, you will see the coolant overflow bottle filling up when it runs.

So adding oil to the engine cylinders definitely increased the compression across all of them. It was still hard to start but we got it going and it ran fine. Took it for a spin and everything felt good. Turned it on and off several times and no problems starting it. Then we left it for a day and it would not start again so it does sound like the rings. I am wondering if the rings are stuck due to being in storage for three years and if running it for some time will free things up. I don't really want to take the engine apart but it is definitely looking like that is what will end up happening.

Did it start and run okay prior to having been placed in extended storage?
Yes I was using it every day for six months of the year for seven years. Also, once I did have it running the other day it was fine, good power, responsive and smooth acceleration.

So how does it start now? And did you try a hot restart?

Sorry, I see it's back to not starting.

Hi all a quick update on the bike. I had the value clearances adjusted and once that was done the bike started very easily. Amazing how such small adjustments make a huge difference. Now I just need to replace the chain and sprockets and it should be good to go for the season! Thanks again for all the insights.

I wouldn't even be thinking about an engine swap until you know what you have.
You bought the bike at 35k, it now has 75k without a valve check. Do one.
Do any other maintenance that is due and I think you'll be surprised.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Hi all a quick update on the bike. I had the value clearances adjusted and once that was done the bike started very easily. Amazing how such small adjustments make a huge difference. Now I just need to replace the chain and sprockets and it should be good to go for the season! Thanks again for all the insights.
Nailed it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom