Front wheel friction EX500 after changing brakes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front wheel friction EX500 after changing brakes

leitlang

I'm riding a 98 EX500. Recently decided to switch front brake pads because braking seemed to be weaker, found that the pads were worn all the way down. Probably as a result, the rotor was ridged up and I replaced it with another used one that was smoother and a little thicker.. Finding a lot of friction when trying to spin the front wheel I took apart the caliper and cleaned and lubricated and put it back on. Since then I still have friction, though it's been reduced since the short test ride. The used rotor cud be a little warped though I dont know if that could cause this. Anyone know what I can do or check or replace to fix it? Should I try putting some mileage on it kind of like a "walk it off"?

Sounds normal to me.....Unless its really hard to spin

One thing thou, did you make sure there was enough room in your brake fluid res for the new pads?

If your rotor is warped, you'd feel it while braking. You'd get some nasty front end vibration only while braking.

If your rotor is warped, you'd feel it while braking. You'd get some nasty front end vibration only while braking.

your brakes would also go from hard to soft....Hard while using them repeatably, soft after you stop using them and go for it again....

Sounds normal to me.....Unless its really hard to spin

One thing thou, did you make sure there was enough room in your brake fluid res for the new pads?
This has been really helpful yet again the people on this site come through for me thank you! Final question is in the quoted part here (hopefully)- "...in your brake fluid res for the new pads?" I dont know what brake fluid res is or how to check
I'd guess res means reservoir or st but I got nothin

Why haven't you just looked at the brake service wiki I posted? It answers your question pertaining to brake fluid in lovely, step-by-step glory including images.

Back
Top Bottom