Front tire profile? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front tire profile?

Fili-mac

The stock front tire size for my 2005 R6 is 120/60/17, what would be the difference if I ran a 65 or 70? how would the different size feel? would I notice anything?

With a 65 profile and no change to the rear it would be the equivalent of raising the front of the bike about 6 mm, which is quite a bit. But, a lot of stuff comes into play with front end feel so you would want to ride it before making any adjustments to compensate. If it felt strange an obvious direction for adjustment would be to raise the forks in the triples, but I would do that no more than 3 mm at a time, not the whole 6 mm in one shot. Again, 6 mm is a big adjustment.

This advice is assuming you already have proper sag settings. If not, then do that first, especially if the numbers are telling you you need to remove some front preload or add rear preload. If the indicated direction is the opposite of that at either end then I wouldn't do that yet because in combination with the added ride height from the profile change you are really going to be changing the steering geometry a lot.

So, i) tire change, ii) check sag and adjust if more front sag needed or less rear sag needed, iii) ride and if it steers slow start moving the forks up in the triples by 2 to 3 mm increments.

That's what I would do anyway. Someone with more experience may have better advice for you.

Last edited:
That's assuming all tires are created equal and are the same size given the same numbers, which they arent. A different brand of 120/65 may be no bigger in circumference than the current brand 120/60.

You wont know until you ride it. In theory it'll be bigger and raise the front as YellowDuck said.

I went from a 60 to a 70 on my R6. Adjusted the forks 6mm to compensate.

For track, it was easier to pull the bike down at increased lean angles. I found with the 60 you would have to push-steer harder to lean the bike futher.

Back
Top Bottom