Friendship over Bike.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Friendship over Bike..

Few years ago I found a Motorcycle friend who lives few blocks away, since then we cruise together often, exploring great country sides near and far. We have mutual respect for each other and established great friendship. Lately he asked me if he could park his motorcycle in my garage for the winter, since I have space I agreed. Now to prevent future misunderstanding should I get on paper that I'm not responsible if anything happens to his bike while it's in my garage, and that the bike is in my garage by his permission, or should I have a photocopy of ownership, or the key of his bike or any thing else I should do for our mutual protection? What's your advice? Thanks to all who take time to caution me if there's anything I'm not aware off. (I like to do the proper way, and not to loose a friend).

Wow, you have an awesome friendship if you have to get a note from your friend in writing that if something happens to the bike, it's his problem. Please, oh please, the real 'friendship' has nothing to do with such relationship, maybe a buddy? Oh, ask him to pay you rent for garage space, then essentially you can make a real-world contract on paper with all the liability issues stated.

yeah if this is such a great friendship how is this even an issue? I store my bike at a friends house let him ride it / tinker and don't have any concerns or worries whatsoever that if something were to go wrong, he'd make it right.

a contract is only as good as the word of the person who is signing it anyway

a contract is only as good as the word of the person who is signing it anyway

Steve, I'd disagree on this. A written/signed contract can be used against his 'friend' if they go to court to argue about the liabilities if something happened to the bike. Spoken word holds no value in court.

Few years ago I found a Motorcycle friend who lives few blocks away, since then we cruise together often, exploring great country sides near and far. We have mutual respect for each other and established great friendship. Lately he asked me if he could park his motorcycle in my garage for the winter, since I have space I agreed. Now to prevent future misunderstanding should I get on paper that I'm not responsible if anything happens to his bike while it's in my garage, and that the bike is in my garage by his permission, or should I have a photocopy of ownership, or the key of his bike or any thing else I should do for our mutual protection? What's your advice? Thanks to all who take time to caution me if there's anything I'm not aware off. (I like to do the proper way, and not to loose a friend).

i wouldnt worry about it.
take the key incase you need to move it for whatever reason.
park the bike. throw a cover on it and call it a winter.

i have left my bikes in my friends garage over winter months....no problems.

ownerships and legalities really shouldnt need to be thought about.

you both have insurance.....

thats my 2cents.

I think it's reasonable to wonder what your liability you might be taking on by doing him a favour like this. I'm no insurance expert but I would just make sure your buddy is keeping his insurance on the bike; and, has fire & theft on it because I don't think your home owenr's insurance would cover his bike should something happen to it while stored in your garage. The only other issue could be if his bike got somehow accidently knocked over causing damage. That one might be harder to work out depending on the damage and circumstance of how the damage happened. I'm not sure I'd go as far as having him sign a waiver up front though. That could end the freindship right away. You're doing him a favour so if he's a reasonable person, there shouldn't be any issues.

ya, get it on paper to CYA if it bothers you - **** does get stolen. After all, you are doing him a favour...quite frankly some ppl get way too emotional on this forum.

Wow. Dude wants to cover his *** (we've all seen situations like this decend into not so nice territory) and you guys say he's not a true friend? Sheesh!

I'd say get something written (not legalese) and just let your friend know it's to cover both your butts in the event of something going wrong. If people could predict the future such contracts or agreements wouldn't be needed.

I store my bike at my mechanics and sign a piece of paper too. He just happens to be a friend but I don't go "jeeze, you're not a true friend for making me do this".

If you have to get something in writing then you guys aren't as good of friends as you say. Honestly, the thought of having to get some paper written is silly.

I can understand your position but then again perhaps its because sometimes you think you know someone but when something happens they can become something you never imagined....had a 4 year relationship with an ex that I supported who said "id never try and take anything from you" HAHA quite a different story at the end!

Jenn

To those all saying he must not have a great friendship if he needs to worry about this... think about all those people that end up getting divorced and getting screwed by each other (and not in the same way they were screwing before the divorce). No one expects people to cause problems if something happens and no one expects things to happen. He's just asking what the best way to protect himself is. Kinda like a prenup. heh

Considering what families do to each other every day over inheiretence, getting a signed waiver from him is probably wise. You might even go one step further and call your broker and ask what your home owner's coverage is for storing someone else's vehicle. Maybe you can add a rider for just a few bucks that covers his bike and you can both have peace of mind. As for all the "you're not a true friend" blather, let me turn it around. If the other guy is a true friend, he wouldn't object to a waiver, to keep his buddy out of a potential jam.

To those all saying he must not have a great friendship if he needs to worry about this... think about all those people that end up getting divorced and getting screwed by each other (and not in the same way they were screwing before the divorce). No one expects people to cause problems if something happens and no one expects things to happen. He's just asking what the best way to protect himself is. Kinda like a prenup. heh

How true. I will go into any marriage with a pre-nup after watching my boyfriend repeatedly get screwed by his ex-wife.

It's up to the person to judge their friends character. Not many people out there would actually flake out on a true friend. I have very solid friends that I have lent money to, helped out and never, ever, ever had an issue. I'll be parking my bike in a friends garage this winter and won't have a smidge of worry, him neither.

people will show their true colours when money becomes involved.
not a bad idea to get papers signed, but talk to him and see what he thinks before coming out from the blue and asking him to sign papers.

Some "what if's" to consider:
  • bike is stolen (far as I know, homeowner's insurance doesn't cover vehicles)
  • bike is damaged when shovel falls off wall and dents the tank
  • bike is destroyed by garage fire (see the first point)
  • your buddy finds you've been riding his bike for months without him knowing about it
  • corollary to above, buddy claims bike only had 5k kms on it and now it has 15k
The last two are examples of the friend not really being a friend or your friendship going sour because you find out he's been sleeping with your wife.

**** happens and friendships go south. I think you're wise to have expectations clearly stated in writing.

As noted in previous posts, even marriages have been known to fail. I know I've had falling out with friends in the past and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Tell a white lie. Say your home insurance needs a waiver clarifying responsibillities. Dump the blame on them. That may not work if your friend is reading this thread as I type.

What's his bike worth? What's your house worth? Who's facing the greater risk? What if his bike falls over and starts a fire?

If you want to be sure he doesn't cancel his liability insurance you can be named on his policy so you are informed if the policy gets cancelled.

Verbal contracts are legal but you need witnesses or it's you vs him.

Drain the gas tank and there's not much to go wrong.

I can understand your position but then again perhaps its because sometimes you think you know someone but when something happens they can become something you never imagined....had a 4 year relationship with an ex that I supported who said "id never try and take anything from you" HAHA quite a different story at the end!

Jenn

Want to be my Goumada?

To the OP write up a contract and if he doesn't like it tell him to kick rocks or see if Envy rides is still doing storage.

Last edited:
people will show their true colours when money becomes involved.

Exactly! There's absolutely nothing wrong with what the OP is asking. It's called protection. Someone already mentioned prenup. But I wanted to add, if two people agree they want a pre-nup, the way some of you people think, it would apparently indicate they are not "in love" (?) People "in love", ready to commit for life shouldn't need a prenup (?)

You guys are friends so I'd just say talk to him about. He'll be able to establish if it's a concern for him as well and then you guys can decide if paperwork is needed. I can't see him getting offended by anything - you're being a good friend by letting him keep his bike at your place and you just want to make sure everything is taken care of in advance for the worst case scenario.

Back
Top Bottom