Friday the 13th ride home from Dover | GTAMotorcycle.com

Friday the 13th ride home from Dover

nikos1965

My first time riding to DOVER on Friday the 13th and so happy I went we had a blast!

Heres what ****** me off though. Riding back to Hamilton on Hwy 6 in the late afternoon I experienced 2 incidents that I have to post about because things could have gotten ugly real quick. I was cruising along few clicks over the limit on the Left tire lane and next thing you know a bike wizzes by me IN MY LANE on the right tire lane prob doing 130. Like holy **** if the guy wanted to pass me he could have signaled and passed me not use my lane and pass me in my own lane. That is f'up! What if I would have drifted off a bit to the centre lane, he would have clipped me and one of us or both of us could have gotten killed. 2 seconds later I guess his buddy needed to catch up to him and does the same thing! Like wtf I thought we had to look out for cagers not fellow riders nearly running us down.

Anyways so I needed to vent and remind riders to not ride like idiots and risk others lives for your own impatience or thrills.

everyone sucks on the road. when i used to bicycle in the city, it wasn't cars i was looking out for. it was actually other ****** off angry bicyclists who feel the need to zoom through lights and ding their ****** little bells and yell if you're not going fast enough for them.

takes a bit of maturity to enjoy the scenery
and freedom of riding a motorcycle

rather than the initial thrill that comes from operating the machine

now I'm not above a bit of spirited riding
time and place
but passing another vehicle like OP describes

gives riders a bad rep

Let me guess...they were both on Harleys. They must be the same guys when we were leaving. One of them even road on the sidewalk to pass us. When we got close to Jarvis they turned around and head back towards Port Dover.

My first time riding to DOVER on Friday the 13th and so happy I went we had a blast!

Heres what ****** me off though. Riding back to Hamilton on Hwy 6 in the late afternoon I experienced 2 incidents that I have to post about because things could have gotten ugly real quick. I was cruising along few clicks over the limit on the Left tire lane and next thing you know a bike wizzes by me IN MY LANE on the right tire lane prob doing 130. Like holy **** if the guy wanted to pass me he could have signaled and passed me not use my lane and pass me in my own lane. That is f'up! What if I would have drifted off a bit to the centre lane, he would have clipped me and one of us or both of us could have gotten killed. 2 seconds later I guess his buddy needed to catch up to him and does the same thing! Like wtf I thought we had to look out for cagers not fellow riders nearly running us down.

Anyways so I needed to vent and remind riders to not ride like idiots and risk others lives for your own impatience or thrills.

You can't get that many riders in one place and not have a small percentage of douchenozzles become part of it.

It is what it is.

Well if ya didn't get in everyone's way they wouldn't have had to get past you. Keep up with the pack. :D

I had the same thing happen and once before. There was no reason as there was next to no oncoming traffic. Some people are just born with large rectums.

People are quick to try and twist events to fit their personal agenda.

Motorcyclists, are supposed to be more attentive to the road, other users, etc. than cagers; many are not.

If I'm in the left lane and I see a bike approaching in my rear view, I move over to the slower lane or I wave them through to pass me in the same lane on the left side. Typically happens during events like this. Don't appreciate it when they assume they can just blast by you in the same lane. I'm already jumpy from coffee.

If you are watching your mirrors and see a bike gaining fast why hold them up? wave them threw if oncoming traffic is there.

Why would you be in the left lane if the slower lane is vacant? I see this all the time on the 401 from all kinds of vehicles.

If I'm in the left lane and I see a bike approaching in my rear view, I move over to the slower lane or I wave them through to pass me in the same lane on the left side. Typically happens during events like this. Don't appreciate it when they assume they can just blast by you in the same lane. I'm already jumpy from coffee.

Highway 6 is one lane each direction.

If you are watching your mirrors and see a bike gaining fast why hold them up? wave them threw if oncoming traffic is there.
That's kind of a nasty idea, isn't it? Besides, when they head on, the colliding vehicles might take you out as well.

Highway 6 is one lane each direction.

That's kind of a nasty idea, isn't it? Besides, when they head on, the colliding vehicles might take you out as well.

And the alternative is ... ??

A motorcycle isn't wide enough to block another motorcycle from passing in the same lane.

I don't like it when someone shares my lane either, but it's not my decision what the rider behind does.

If there is someone coming up from behind at a much higher speed and you see them in advance ... just hold your line and don't change position until such time as you can see which side they want to overtake on and then GIVE THEM ROOM. Not having a collision is better than having a collision ... regardless of good or ill intent.

90% of the time if someone is overtaking like that, the rider in front doesn't see it coming.

And the alternative is ... ??

A motorcycle isn't wide enough to block another motorcycle from passing in the same lane.

I don't like it when someone shares my lane either, but it's not my decision what the rider behind does.

If there is someone coming up from behind at a much higher speed and you see them in advance ... just hold your line and don't change position until such time as you can see which side they want to overtake on and then GIVE THEM ROOM. Not having a collision is better than having a collision ... regardless of good or ill intent.

90% of the time if someone is overtaking like that, the rider in front doesn't see it coming.

And the alternative is ... Waving someone by when there is no oncoming traffic.

I tend to ride close to the middle track of a lane, if someone's coming up fast, car or bike, I tend to move to the right track, and adjust my speed to give them an opportunity to get by.

If they pass me on the inside at a high rate of speed, I take a description and phone it in.

It may be a waste of time for an officer to chat with them, but you never know, maybe they'll smarten up and treat others with respect.

Edit: I also say the magic phrase "forward radar sensor deployed!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom