fork rebuild | GTAMotorcycle.com

fork rebuild

cutsheal5

something i have never done before i am very mechanicly incline i have rebuilt and repaird alot of things including the engine on my bike my preload adjuster is not working on my left side fork i was wondering if i should send it to a specialest or if its something worth doing or just trying to get some new ones oorrr try and rebuild them myself/. If possible to do myself i will forsure what are the common parts i should order ahead of time to replace? feel free to chime in the bike is a 2001 cbr 929.

The shop manual for your bike likely (NOT the owner's manual) has all the parts and directions on how to do this yourself. You can download these for free for a lot of bikes.

Probably also a good idea to get Haynes or similar manual for more tips and directions. If you have the time for it later, I'd strongly suggest the Motorcycle Maintenance program at Centennial College. Great for demystifying a lot of things about bike components and giving you confidence to tackle larger jobs.

okay perfect im not worried about the size of the job im sure i have done things much more challenging then this. i will see if i can get a manual and order up some parts then thanks sounds like something i can do with ease

those are inverted forks, you will need some sort of a fork seal driver...r

And a spring compressor, and a damper rod holding/pulling tool. All of which can be improvised.

thanks for all the input its appreciated

If its just seized or stuck and you can free it up yourself then Id try that 1st. Open the caps and see whats up, you only need a big socket for that and will have to drain the oil. No specialty tools will be needed to gain access to the preload adjustment as its right thener in the cap...

The problem with fork parts is they are about $100 each part, so even if you just need 2 or 3 internal parts. Youd be better off getting a set of used forks, or even just one....

http://www.traxxion.com/ForkServiceToolKit.aspx

$
90.00 for the tools you'll need to service your forks.....

This is the kit I have. These tools will do the job, but shipping to Canada was on the high side for such small items.

As for your DIY vs shop rebuild question, it depends on what you want out of your forks. If its just a freshening of oil and seals, Id do it myself. For a performance rebuild (revalve, etc) I elected to have it done by a shop and I was very happy with the work. Wasnt cheap though.

Back
Top Bottom