Forged wheels made me faster, until they didn't | GTAMotorcycle.com

Forged wheels made me faster, until they didn't

adri

Site Supporter
I upgraded from the OEM wheels to forged ones by MOS Motor, out of Taiwan.

In this video, I talk about the differences between forged and cast wheels (rims, whatever), how each are made differently, and why forged wheels can make your ride quicker, smoother, better handling, and even give you more braking power.

...That's what they say anyway. Let's see how it works out in real life.

Testing:

Obviously to test the effectiveness of these performance-oriented forged wheels I needed the kind of machine it takes huge balls to ride. So I put them on my Vespa.

I had two nearly identical Vespa GTS, both with new Michelin City Grip 2 tires on them. I first tested both with the stock OEM rims to make sure the ride experience was more or less the same, then installed the new rims and spent the next two hours switching back and forth between the control and the test Vespe.

Results:

- Acceleration was noticeably improved on the forged wheel unit

- Ride quality was noticeably smoother on rougher pavement on forged wheels

- Braking was not tested because the pads and rotors were not evenly worn between both bikes

- Handling, perhaps because of the speeds I was traveling, felt only marginally better with the forged rims

Other Mentionables:

- One rim bent on a pot hole during testing. MOS sent me a replacement unit. I put about 100 km on the replacement, including on the 401, and so far this one seems solid

- I'm thankful to MOS because this whole thing has been a great learning experience for me

- If you're into expensive upgrades, the physics behind riding, and understanding why lighter wheels make your Vespa both faster to accelerate, and faster to stop, please consider watching my video

PS: If you think you might be interested in these rims you can check them out at https://www.mosmotortaiwan.com

Anything you can do to reduce unsprung (or sprung) weight will evidence itself as a noticeable improvement.
Glad to hear you got the whole wheel deal sorted out - nice when a company stands behind its products.

I have a couple of bikes with aftermarket wheels; Dymags, Astralite and Campys (the Astralites are made of tinfoil).
Best upgrade on any bike for the money. Makes everything better.
I wouldn't dream of using them on the street... I guess you know why... now.
Visions of Robert Dunlop running through my head now. THANKS

Ran a set of BST on one of my track bikes a few years back... had to re-acquaint myself with the bike as handling changed so dramatically it put me off a bit for the first few sessions. I recommend them to everyone.

Anything you can do to reduce unsprung (or sprung) weight will evidence itself as a noticeable improvement.
Glad to hear you got the whole wheel deal sorted out - nice when a company stands behind its products.
Thanks man. So far so good. They weren't too keen on me mentioning a rim bent so quickly but...

I have a couple of bikes with aftermarket wheels; Dymags, Astralite and Campys (the Astralites are made of tinfoil).
Best upgrade on any bike for the money. Makes everything better.
I wouldn't dream of using them on the street... I guess you know why... now.
Visions of Robert Dunlop running through my head now. THANKS
Yeah I'm really curious to see how they hold up. Decided the best thing to do was just put out the story so far, and then at the end of the season I'll do a more long-term review. Only did < 200 km on the replacement rear rim for now.

Ran a set of BST on one of my track bikes a few years back... had to re-acquaint myself with the bike as handling changed so dramatically it put me off a bit for the first few sessions. I recommend them to everyone.
Physics, right? Wild! <--- First time I've ever said that in my life lol.

Someone on reddit said he didn't believe my claims of even just a noticeable difference (not huge, not substantial, but noticeable) in just a couple areas :rolleyes: - I sent him the link to your post.

And all this time i thought that a major selling point of forged wheels was durability.
At even weight they should be more durable. Often lower weight is a selling point. Without knowing the details, it's hard to tell where the manufacturer tried to land in the weight vs strength continuum.

Back
Top Bottom