Ford government proposing photo radar | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ford government proposing photo radar

Photo radars are about revenue, not safety.

Nothing slows traffic more effectively than a big, threatening cruiser right out in plain sight with its lights blazing, except perhaps a big, threatening cruiser right out in plain sight with its lights blazing and a hi-viz-wearing cop pointing a hairdryer at traffic.

If they really want to slow people down for the safety of the kids they'll make themselves obvious in this way rather than putting a non-descript box atop a non-descript pole with a small sign or two on the boulevard warning of "speed enforcement."

And of those 20 pedestrian deaths mentioned in the story, how many were at least partially the result of cell-phone zombies walking into traffic staring at their phones instead of their surroundings. How about police working than angle too?

What do you prefer, have a police officers being paid to do that or put a camera there to do that?

I prefer to have police officers fight real crime and concentrate on things such as drugs, gangs, organized crime etc and NOT on income generation by writing tickets to drivers doing safe speeds. Also, I prefer the speed limits to be realistic of the speeds that the majority of drivers can do safely, such as on the 400 highways the majority can do 120+ safely. Yet the posted speed limits remain at 100, despite the fact that research from traffic experts show 100 is too low...

Nothing slows traffic more effectively than a big, threatening cruiser right out in plain sight with its lights blazing, except perhaps a big, threatening cruiser right out in plain sight with its lights blazing and a hi-viz-wearing cop pointing a hairdryer at traffic.

If they really want to slow people down for the safety of the kids they'll make themselves obvious in this way rather than putting a non-descript box atop a non-descript pole with a small sign or two on the boulevard warning of "speed enforcement."

And of those 20 pedestrian deaths mentioned in the story, how many were at least partially the result of cell-phone zombies walking into traffic staring at their phones instead of their surroundings. How about police working than angle too?

Actually photo radar is very effective at slowing traffic down too where needed. Drive around Europe and you’ll see.

If you want traffic slowed down , not on a gee I see a cruiser basis, photo radar is the way. if your over the limit YOUR GETTING A TICKET. its a proven system in Europe.
They post a sign that says photo radar ahead, and if your a dummy......
I sure dont like it, but its effective.

Just keep in mind that "slowing down traffic" isn't necessarily the same as "improving safety".

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but with GTA cops making $100K + a year as a base salary and overall cost per cop with benefits and equipment etc...... probably $175k - $200k a year for each person on the street I don't think we're going to be seeing more cops doing speed enforcement any time soon. In lieu of doing nothing....... I think photo radar would help

Not sure I understand this. Ya think you have some constitutional right to speed in school zones? Driving is a privileged, and as much as I hate government intrusion, when it comes to the safety of others (like my family) I have to give them the latitude and tools needed.

Or you can keep your freedom to wail past a school -- and some dad will keep his freedom to throw rocks as you pass.
You don't. And no, can you point me where I said I have some constitutional right to speed in school zones?

Reading comprehension brother.

Waterloo has a few red light cameras
Freedom of not letting them know of my location at specific time.
You sound like a traveller, sovereign citizen type from down south. Using the roads and highways has nothing to do with freedom. It's a privilege we pay for. But then, that's just my opinion. Lol

Freedom of not letting them know of my location at specific time.
We've been giving that up for technological comforts for some time, it's only going to get more invasive.

If you want traffic slowed down , not on a gee I see a cruiser basis, photo radar is the way. if your over the limit YOUR GETTING A TICKET. its a proven system in Europe.
They post a sign that says photo radar ahead, and if your a dummy......
I sure dont like it, but its effective.

It's a post-hoc exercise though; in order to have your wrist slapped with a ticket you need to have been speeding in a school zone and thus have already been posing a danger to others.

I suppose someone who just received a ticket might not speed there the next time but without a strong visual deterrent that flaw -- that you need to have sped through the zone in excess of the limit in order to receive a ticket -- exists.

A non-descript sign is not as much of a deterrent as a cruiser.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but with GTA cops making $100K + a year as a base salary and overall cost per cop with benefits and equipment etc...... probably $175k - $200k a year for each person on the street I don't think we're going to be seeing more cops doing speed enforcement any time soon.

TBH you don't even need a cop there, not always. The idea is to prevent and deter the behavior to preserve safety, not generate revenue from speeding tickets. To that end, park a cruiser there and put the lights on. Maybe have a volunteer or auxiliary force member stand there in hi-viz for effect.

I've seen cardboard cutouts of cops and cop cars used as traffic-slowing measures.

Every time a new obsticle is placed before the public, the public will find a way around it. Time to get a heavily smoke tinted license plate cover. The fine for that is less than speeding. I once drove for 15 years with no front plate (didn't like the look) until I was finally tagged. Went to court and explained that it fell off a few days before; no fuss, no fine.

Every time a new obsticle is placed before the public, the public will find a way around it. Time to get a heavily smoke tinted license plate cover. The fine for that is less than speeding. I once drove for 15 years with no front plate (didn't like the look) until I was finally tagged. Went to court and explained that it fell off a few days before; no fuss, no fine.

Less room for lying perjurers with technology.

Just keep in mind that "slowing down traffic" isn't necessarily the same as "improving safety".
Sometimes true. Speed is a very large safety factor on urban roadways, not so much on rural roads and on highways.

TBH you don't even need a cop there, not always. The idea is to prevent and deter the behavior to preserve safety, not generate revenue from speeding tickets. To that end, park a cruiser there and put the lights on. Maybe have a volunteer or auxiliary force member stand there in hi-viz for effect.

I've seen cardboard cutouts of cops and cop cars used as traffic-slowing measures.

Right, I'm sure that there are hundreds (thousands) of spare cop cars and cops we can redirect to traffic duty and there is an an army of willing volunteers out there who will don hi viz jackets to patrol school zones...........

I think in the real world financial consequences are a deterrent. Too many speeding tickets will directly impact your insurance rates or insurability and for most people that has a direct impact on how they drive. Red light camera tickets cost you money, but don't impact your insurance, but how many of these tickets would you be willing to pay before you smartened up and changed your driving habits.

Any enforcement system will be geared the 95%+ of the population that are cogent reasonable people but, as always, there will always be a small percentage of people out there who just don't get it or are idiots in general.

Hey, you gotta remember the government will need to recoup the cost of getting ripped off by the contractors setting up these camera systems for the low price of a few hundred thousand a pop!

If road safety was the goal it would be best to start by fixing our joke of a licensing system, it's too easy to get a license to drive a 6000 pound SUV. A more robust training & testing system that covers things like car control, reaction times, and emergency maneuvers is desperately needed... Requiring people to show a sliver of competency behind the wheel would not only make our roads safer it would also fix traffic because so many people would fail, shame that it would be political suicide because people might actually have to use those empty bike lanes we have everywhere.

What do you prefer, have a police officers being paid to do that or put a camera there to do that?

Here's the thing... If it was truly about public safety then yes, employ actual live police officers to do the enforcement and follow through when people contest their charges in court.
Photo radar is a lazy way to generate income and "maybe" reduce speeding.
The same end (reducing speeding) could be accomplished by parking an empty, marked police vehicle on the shoulder. Turn on the blinky lights for an even better result.
Photo radar skips around due process and really only offers a financial penalty for those who own the vehicles cited.
Sure, people will complain about the fines, but since there are no demerit points at stake... Who cares?
They'll pay the fine and that's what really matters.

Back
Top Bottom