For a fully exhaust sistem do i need a Power Comm....?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

For a fully exhaust sistem do i need a Power Comm....??

sempre1

Hi guys- i just picked up an 09 zx6r Monster edition with a brand new Akropovick fully exhaust sistem, now the Q is- do i need a Power Com?? Should i leave it the way it is? So far I never had the opportunity to take it out for a real spin, so i'm not sure the way she's responding without the PC.
Any input will be appreciated.

Tnk You.

If you want any extra HP from your exhaust, you need to change the fuel mixture...not to mention you may have very poor throttle response or flat spots in your power delivery if you don't. You can do Power Commander or go the closed-loop way using an O2 sensor in your exhaust. It's a more fool-proof way to go. Contact Riders Choice if you'd like to go that way. Bit more money but also a better system.

just out of curiousity and not to confuse anyone but shouldnt this bike already come with some sort of fuel management system?...OP did you buy this bike from a dealer? Im just thinking if he did there should be something similar to this on the bike?

From my understanding the (seller) didn't know much in terms of technical info, i specific ask if there was a PC on the bike and he didn't know what the power commander was. He toll me "The Exhaust sistem was installed by a Kawasaki dealer". So after that i removed the solo seat and don't see anything unless is somewhere under the main seat? I dont think so...but i can check tomorrow just to make sure.

there needs to be alterations the the fuel delivery to make up for the increased airflow due to the full exhaust. there should be one one like r6rollin suggested or the PO/dealer did not look into it before getting the exhaust. you could also do wht invictus43 suggested.

Fundamental question: Does the engine run correctly?

Yes -> No fuel delivery modification is warranted.

No -> Is the fault with engine operation due to incorrect air/fuel ratio despite all sensors etc being within factory specifications?

-----> Yes -> A Power Commander could be used to solve the issue, provided that it is mapped correctly (and that is a chore in itself - my opinion of the pre-made maps on their website is rather low).
-----> No -> A Power Commander won't solve the issue.

Should note that the above question-and-answer is independent of whether the bike has an aftermarket exhaust or not.

I have a Power Commander on my stock-exhaust ZX10R because the factory fuel delivery is waaaaaaayyyyyyy too rich at part load. A custom (by me) map cut fuel consumption from 7 - 8 L/100 km to around 5.5 L/100 km despite a drastic shortening of the gearing at around the same time ...

Back
Top Bottom