-'not in a hurry to sell'
-'don't know the mileage or model name'
-'can't find the ownership but will mail it to you when I do'
-'ran the last time before I put it away a few years ago'
-'can't start it for you cuz it's in storage'
-'sorry that's all the pictures I have of it'
-'my buddy can deliver upon full payment'
-'better buy it now or the price goes up next month'

I made this list up after searching for another bike. Does this sound familiar when asking about the bike they are selling?

They're not wrong.

Heading into spring, it's a seller's market. If they've waited this long through the winter and they don't have payments to make on the bike, they're firmly in the driver's seat.

Best time to buy would have been in late fall/early winter when the sellers are trying to figure out storage. Not late winter/early spring when everything's already tucked away waiting for the glut of buyers to come out of the woodwork in March.

I made this list up after searching for another bike. Does this sound familiar when asking about the bike they are selling?
Look at it this way - it has been YEARS since I have shown up to look at something and it turns out the seller was completely unhinged. When they helpfully put stuff like that in the ad, it saves me valuable time!

- 'really could care less if you buy it, don't need the money'
- 'I'll meet you in the parking lot of my local Timmies'
- 'no plate, no insurance, not sure if it runs..........'
- 'I'm selling this for my brother who moved to Vancouver'

Unless an item is too large/heavy to transport, I always meet people in a busy public place. No chance I want wierdos or criminals coming to my house.
If an object doesn't fit well in my car (like a lawnmower or snowblower), I will use a nearby park with small parking lot. Not ideal as there isn't a ton of eyes but I can walk there and the buyer then doesn't know exactly where I live.

This is why I enjoy RFD and similar platforms so much. Feedback with written notes dispels so much nonsense.

Can’t count the number of times someone met me for $500+ item and didn’t bother to even count the money.

People know you’re not ruining a rep for a few bucks.

Unless an item is too large/heavy to transport, I always meet people in a busy public place. No chance I want wierdos or criminals coming to my house.

Yep, this is the way I've sold every motorcycle if I don't know the buyer.

If the seller wants proof of who I am to make sure I am the registered owner, he can take a picture of my drivers license *after* money has exchanged hands.

Most times I've met the buyer at their bank and we complete the transaction there, easier to verify a bank draft if it's being drawn up in front of my eyes, or an intra/inter-bank transfer above $xxxx, which has to be done in person. Worst case, I watch the teller count out all those brown bills so I know they're not counterfeit.

If the buyer isn't a prick, I'll even ride the bike back to his place and then take my plates off there. Which is every single time because I'm not desperate enough to sell to @ssholes.

Last edited:
Posted within the GTA:
"Bike is currently located in Thunder Bay/Saskatoon/etc"
if guy gave me any grief at all, i'd feign caving to his asking price then tell him to meet me there and i'd trailer it home. let him wait.

Waiting for this one:

'- can deliver but my Buddy has my white van in some Toronto condo parking basement tonight'

You forgot "Barn find" Saw something like that posted in FB marketplace just now. Looked like it was covered in dirt and hay.

I was selling a silverwing and a guy responded wanting to know the size because he was going to come from NS with a trailer. My wife was sure he was a flake.
He showed up with both a trailer and full asking price cash.

It's been a seller's market since the start of covid.
It is no longer a seller's market. Things are changing.

It's been a seller's market since the start of covid.
It is no longer a seller's market. Things are changing.
I agree with you.

With dealer inventories very slowly recovering (arguably I suppose), interest rates continuing to climb and expected to stay high for the foreseeable future, and general uneasiness about the economy I think the salad days for used sellers are over, or at least nearly.

Talking with my financial planner on Tuesday he told me the view from the bank economists is that the days of near-zero interest rates are gone and won't likely return. Things being cyclical you could add, "in our lifetime" to perhaps be more accurate.

Economy-wise our low productivity and relatively high-tax and thick bureaucracy will keep our dollar low. It used to be that a balance between good for exports/bad for imports existed but now the bad outweighs the good.

He told me that one of his acquaintance's bought a property in BC with $1 million equity and a $2 million variable rate mortgage. I don't know when he bought it (probably when a variable rate mortgage sounded like a good idea) but he now can't afford the payments and is looking to bail.

Bottom line is people in general now have and will have less to spend, and the first thing to go are the toys. Which toys depends on personal preferences.

For me, I just hope the prices of 70's-80's dual sports goes back to sensible levels so I can re-live my youth.

I was selling a silverwing and a guy responded wanting to know the size because he was going to come from NS with a trailer. My wife was sure he was a flake.
He showed up with both a trailer and full asking price cash.
When I was selling an older starter bike, the guy from FB marketplace told me he was on his way from Hamilton (to Mississauga.) While he was on the way he occasionally messaged me odd things like:

"my friends and I are on the way" which made me slightly uncomfortable, later,
"the last time I went all the way to Toronto and the guy didn't even show up" and "I really hope you dont flake on us because we are coming from Hamilton" Then later he sent me a picture of the cash he brought to buy the bike.

At that point I found it so strange and I thought this guy is just an idiot at home wasting my time. But then he said he had arrived. I didn't even feel safe meeting this guy because I thought he is maybe going to try to steal the bike or something.

When I went out to meet him, he was there with a bunch of family and friends, they were there to help lift the bike into the pick up truck. He paid in cash and they were salt of the earth type of people.

Talking with my financial planner on Tuesday he told me the view from the bank economists is that the days of near-zero interest rates are gone and won't likely return. Things being cyclical you could add, "in our lifetime" to perhaps be more accurate.

He told me that one of his acquaintance's bought a property in BC with $1 million equity and a $2 million variable rate mortgage. I don't know when he bought it (probably when a variable rate mortgage sounded like a good idea) but he now can't afford the payments and is looking to bail.

Bottom line is people in general now have and will have less to spend, and the first thing to go are the toys. Which toys depends on personal preferences.

I think that most bank employees and their economists / planners / gurus etc..... really don't know what they are talking about. I mean, how many banks were telling customers to lock in 5 year + more mortgages a year ago. Banks were issuing variable rate, relatively short term mortgages to people paying insane prices for houses 10 months ago. Now, a large percentage of those people will have a rate adjustment or a mortgage renewal that they cannot afford and the house will go on the market for 20% less than what they paid for it in January - February 2022.

Be conservative, don't overextend yourself and you will be able to keep your toys.

When I was selling an older starter bike, the guy from FB marketplace told me he was on his way from Hamilton (to Mississauga.) While he was on the way he occasionally messaged me odd things like:

"my friends and I are on the way" which made me slightly uncomfortable, later,
"the last time I went all the way to Toronto and the guy didn't even show up" and "I really hope you dont flake on us because we are coming from Hamilton" Then later he sent me a picture of the cash he brought to buy the bike.

At that point I found it so strange and I thought this guy is just an idiot at home wasting my time. But then he said he had arrived. I didn't even feel safe meeting this guy because I thought he is maybe going to try to steal the bike or something.

When I went out to meet him, he was there with a bunch of family and friends, they were there to help lift the bike into the pick up truck. He paid in cash and they were salt of the earth type of people.
Lots of people seem fearful but I've never really had a bad incident in all the bikes I've sold ( runners and projects probably at least 25 sales).
I also had the family clown show arrive once. Came out from Toronto. "Is there somewhere in town we can buy baby diapers?" "Can you lend me a helmet to ride this home"
Oddly they had a helmet in the car and he did end up riding it home.

Most barn finds are a waste of time and money. Sometimes they are very productive. My cousin's husband found a zero miles Corvette in a barn in the USA in 1963. Farmer bought it for his son as a welcome home from Korea. Sons plane went down on the way home.
It was restored and sold for a very large sum to a museum in the 80s. It was a 53 Vette.

Most barn finds are a waste of time and money. Sometimes they are very productive. .
I took a chance on a '79 CB750 that was residing on the 2nd level of a barn in Milton, the 1st level being where the cattle stayed at night.

The bike was a low miler but the cows gave off an unbelieve stench along with heavy air laden moisture that every metal surface on the bike had a patina of rust . Even the drive chain was one solid mass making the rolling of the bike difficult.

I spent hours with soap pads but in the end the bike just needed the carbs cleaned up, new chain and sprockets and it ran well. The stench on the bike I don't think ever disappeared.

Seeing the value of these CB's makes me think I should have parked it away somewhere instead of selling it..

Back
Top Bottom