Flooring experts? Radiant floor heating Q? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flooring experts? Radiant floor heating Q?

Be careful on the air stat.
Typically floor warming is done at 10-12 watts per square foot. Space heating is substantially higher and could result in an overly hot floor.

The worst case was the death of an elderly man in Niagara-on-the-Lake through a total screw up.

The contractor installed a 120 volt cable but hooked it up on 240. Controllers have a maximum setting of 104°F but the sensor was air mounted so didn't detect the floor temperature. To completely bury himself the contractor didn't take out a permit, not that an inspector would have been guaranteed to notice.

For rough guesstimates each watt per square foot give a temperature rise of 2F°. When you double the voltage you quadruple the output so 12 W/SF becomes 48 W/SF and a potential temp rise of 96F° above the ambient. With an ambient of 70° F or higher the floor was well over the scald limits.

I'm not a fan of air stats. If you need to heat a room you need to do heat loss calculations and figure a safe way to do it. Overly hot floors can damage carpets etc.
All good points nobbie. When mine is set to air control, it does not show floor temp anymore which i dont like (and i'd rather heat the air with gas).

Back
Top Bottom