Fit Unplated: Is it possible? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fit Unplated: Is it possible?

Boots

Hey guys, bought a bike a couple months ago and registered it under my name as unfit, unplated. Got it safetied today but I don't want to buy insurance for it just yet because the riding season hasn't started and there's no point. However, this certificate lasts 36 days long so I have to do something with it or I wasted my money -- My question is, is it possible to to change my bike's registration status as FIT but unplated? or is this impossible because I have to get insurance in order to register the bike as fit?

If it is possible, does this status expire after a certain time before I am forced to plate the vehicle? If not, then I would only have to buy insurance and give them the policy number in order to get plates whenever I am ready to get the insurance, correct?

Thanks for any input.

Yes, go to mto and tell them you want to register it as plated

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Well in reality you would be "paying" nothing for insurance at this point anyways. The premiums cover the "riding season", yes they withdraw the funds monthly BUT that is only so that you pay $0 in Jan and $800 in June.

go get your plates with a temp sticker. show your car insurance.

i would just buy the 2 year sticker then when you want to ride u dont have to go back to the mto.

Last edited:
go get your plates with a temp sticker. show your car insurance.

i would just buy the 2 year sticker then when you want to ride u dont have to go back to the mto.

The MTO offices I have dealt with never ask to see the insurance, they have you fill out the form with your co and policy number. It then says you certify ALL the statements on the form are true and correct, then says something about the penalties..

Not sure why you wouldn't at least get comp or fire only, if it burns or gets stolen your screwed. the rates for those coverages are minimal. then just add liability when your ready to put it on the road

point is you will have insurance once you start driving anyway. i only had a slip that said binder on it when i got my bike stickers. when i talked to my insurance about getting my van on the road they just told me to use the bike insurance. i had like 3 temp stickers before i got my plate sticker.

The MTO offices I have dealt with never ask to see the insurance, they have you fill out the form with your co and policy number. It then says you certify ALL the statements on the form are true and correct, then says something about the penalties..

Not sure how recently you did. They changed it and now they check the computer to see if it's in the system.

Why would you get it safetied now if you weren't going to insure and plate it??? Why would you not insure it now?? You're not going to be able to cancel it in October after you start it in April and get any money back.

Why would you get it safetied now if you weren't going to insure and plate it??? Why would you not insure it now?? You're not going to be able to cancel it in October after you start it in April and get any money back.

So best to insure in march then?

So best to insure in march then?

No, it is best to insure the day you safety. It doesn't matter when you start your policy.
Mine started March 30, because that was the day I bought my bike.

No, it is best to insure the day you safety. It doesn't matter when you start your policy.
Mine started March 30, because that was the day I bought my bike.
What i safetied the bike last october? And stored it in my room (no tank)

it's not like insurance for these months costs much. Just plate and insure it. There's literally a few dollars at stake here to insure now. And by few, i'd wager less than 50 until riding season starts. And if you got it on policy, the bike while parked will be insured for fire and theft.

Some insurance companies will have an issue if the date of ownership and the requested date for insurance is too far apart. What happens is they assume you have been fraudulent during this period of time when it comes to insurance (ie driving/riding without it). I just went through this with one of my vehicles and it almost required me to use facility. That was till I proved the vehicle had been dismantled and restored via photos of it in pieces and completed.

Back
Top Bottom