First Post - Need Bike Advice!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Post - Need Bike Advice!!

/\/\@TT

Hey Guys,
First post here, been looking around and have seen a lot of great info. Have a few questions regarding a first bike and what might work out better;
Option 1:
-'91 Kawasaki ZR550, with 44k kms for $1400 (checked it out, runs great)
-Will need new rear tire for safety, but that should be about it
-So probably $1800-ish would get me on the road.
-Might be harder to sell in 2 - 3 years when (and if) I'm looking for something different
-Only $600/yr for insurance (with only liability)
-Rear shocks seemed a little spongey, might need to be replaced or re-built.
Option 2:
-2000 - 2004 GS500 for $2500 - $3000 (there's a few kicking around on Kijiji right now)
-Might be easier to sell in 2 - 3 years
-Most are ready to certify.
-Insurance a little higher

So it comes down to spending a little more now, or potentially spending more later on if the ZR550 ever breaks down.

Any suggestions or past experience with buying older vs. newer?

I would buy the newer bike for parts available and reliability.

44k... Just because the engine runs, doesn't mean it's in great shape! Set aside a few hundred just in case!

My experience in buying older is you usually put more money into it and when you go to sell it you have invested the same amount into each bike except the newer one will usually bring you more money back.

I'd definitely go for a newer GS500. The engine/bike design is older, but proven, and it has great forum support on GSTwin, just in case. For 3k, you can find 2004+ in great condition. I sold my 2004 for less than that with 24k on it.

I'd skip both and go with the Ninja 500. The fairings may look old school compared to Suzuki but the bike is actually slightly more advanced and definitely more powerful.

If you stick with your choices then the GS would be an easier option, however, I wouldn't dismiss the ZR550 completely. If you can get it for maybe $1,000, these bikes had a good reputation aside from rust. Rear tire will not cost you 400 bucks either. More like $120. If you can take a wheel off, install is $15 or zero if you do it yourself. Safety is $40.
The suspension is soft on them. Did you adjust the preload on the rear?

Nevertheless, it is generally suggested that the older the motorcycle, the more wrenching skill is needed.

I'd skip both and go with the Ninja 500. The fairings may look old school compared to Suzuki but the bike is actually slightly more advanced and definitely more powerful.

If you stick with your choices then the GS would be an easier option, however, I wouldn't dismiss the ZR550 completely. If you can get it for maybe $1,000, these bikes had a good reputation aside from rust. Rear tire will not cost you 400 bucks either. More like $120. If you can take a wheel off, install is $15 or zero if you do it yourself. Safety is $40.
The suspension is soft on them. Did you adjust the preload on the rear?

Nevertheless, it is generally suggested that the older the motorcycle, the more wrenching skill is needed.

I wasn't sure if the preload or rebound were adjusted all the way down or up (for a softer or stiffer ride), I had forgot to ask if the preload and rebound had been adjusted or not. But the shocks were stock and nothing had been done to them. I don't mind wrenching on something, I do enough wrenching on my car to probably be able to do it on the bike.

I found the ZR550 really comfortable to sit on, it's been a while since I've sat on a Ninja, but I remember being bent a little further forward. I was looking for a somewhat more standard stance.

Preload needs to be adjusted for your body weight, although from what I heard about these bikes, mostly people just max it out.

As long as you're comfortable with a bit of mechanical work you should be alright with an older bike. If you like it then I say go for it.

And yes, Ninja 500 has a slightly sporty position, you could change that a bit with bar raisers or handlebars instead of clip-ons.

Back
Top Bottom