First Bike: buy now or next season? | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Bike: buy now or next season?

Navrick

Hi folks,

Fresh out of my learner's course with my M2 and I have a few questions about when to buy my first bike:

I saw a bike that I was aiming to own for sale (Kawasaki Versys-x300), and am tempted to buy. I feel like if I get it now I can ride fall and have a grand 'ol time.

Should I buy now?
OR
Should I just save my pennies (and off-season insurance expenses) for a down payment (or whole payment) for something in the new riding season?

The frugal part of me (i.e.: My Wife) wants to just hold off until the new season. I'm likely to agree, however a thought came to my head:

What if I just buy the bike now and store it, start paying it off over the winter months (without insurance), then insure it when riding season comes along?

To be honest I don't even know if that is possible but I figure I'd ask.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Regardless, thanks for reading!

I wouldn't buy first bike new either way. If you were buying used, now is a good time to start looking as prices will fall from now to Feb/March.

If you had to buy new, I guess the answer is completely dependant on how good of an interest rate you can secure and if that is a limited time offer.

I wouldn't buy first bike new either way. If you were buying used, now is a good time to start looking as prices will fall from now to Feb/March.

If you had to buy new, I guess the answer is completely dependant on how good of an interest rate you can secure and if that is a limited time offer.

True. To be honest I have a feeling I'm going to end up getting a used ninja/cbr just because I can fork over the cash right away and I don't have to worry about being the first to drop the bike. I suppose my inclination to go new was to cover the fact that I'm not mechanically minded and can't assess most used bikes as well as I probably could when I check them out.

It seems like the best way to buy new (especially for a new rider) is if it's a really good deal (or if you're swimming in gold bricks).

Thanks!

Possibly dropping the bike is something to consider, but there's something else too - very frequently as people learn & get a feel for riding, they may soon want a bigger or completely different kind of bike. Not financing the first bike makes it way easier to move into a second bike (which then I think could be more safely financed).

Would make more sense to find a used one (preferably a cash deal), eliminates the horror of potentially dropping a new toy and getting bored with it and wanting to upgrade.

If you`re dead set on a specific model and can resist the urge to upgrade it then i guess it doesn't really matter.

Consider the paying for it over the winter months as free riding experience in the eyes of the insurance company, well worth the money especially on the smaller displacement models we're probably talking $80/month ish.

There are a few people on the board that are willing to help checkout bikes for those who may not know what to look for.

There's still a couple of good riding months left in the year. Get out and enjoy them! Build up your insurance record. But don't buy new for first bike, especially if it's a smaller one. You'll outgrow it and take a bath on depreciation.

Riding doesn’t follow logic. Follow your passion. Get the bike that makes sense to you and within your financial and family criteria.

Personal recommendation. Just plan on getting something next year but, give yourself the freedom to research bikes you are interested in and get an idea of what is a good price for you or not and be prepared to buy when you know it’s a good deal. Even if that deal is sometime between now and the spring.

Can you store it?

If you can have a cheap used ride, you can ride it until the salt and snow arrives and enjoy it. But the insurance might be a bit of a wet blanket.

Don’t view things in absolutes. You got your M2. Now shop and take your time. It comes when it comes.

Rarely do you find sound rational decision making people that ride. So just do what your gonna do and have fun. Just stay safe.

And don’t piss off the wife too much. Unless that’s part of the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice folks!

I think I'll just save my pennies over the winter season and grab a decent used bike come spring.

And don’t piss off the wife too much. Unless that’s part of the plan.

Never the plan, but always the result :D.

It's only mid-September. For even the most cold-averse there's still a month and a half of riding available. For those willing to layer up a bit there's even more.

This time of year people looking to sell are most willing to accept a deal to move the machine; they don't want to have to deal with winterizing and storing the bike themselves. Find a bike you like and can afford (don't forget insurance) and make a low-ball offer.

BTW, you said you said "Fresh out of my learner's course with my M2"; do you have your actual M2 (went to the DriveTest centre and got the M2 endorsement) or do you have a piece of paper that says you passed the M1X course but still need to wait the balance of the 60-day time period from getting your M1? That may make a difference if you do buy a bike this fall and seek insurance.

It's only mid-September. For even the most cold-averse there's still a month and a half of riding available. For those willing to layer up a bit there's even more.

This time of year people looking to sell are most willing to accept a deal to move the machine; they don't want to have to deal with winterizing and storing the bike themselves. Find a bike you like and can afford (don't forget insurance) and make a low-ball offer.

BTW, you said you said "Fresh out of my learner's course with my M2"; do you have your actual M2 (went to the DriveTest centre and got the M2 endorsement) or do you have a piece of paper that says you passed the M1X course but still need to wait the balance of the 60-day time period from getting your M1? That may make a difference if you do buy a bike this fall and seek insurance.

Definitely tempted to wait until the last minute and cash in on desperation, but I figure I'd have more cash to play around with if I penny pinched for longer (i.e.: over proper winter season). Probably because I have more faith in my saving ability than I do my haggling.

As for my M2, I lined up the end of my course with my 60-day wait period so that I was able to step into a drivecentre right afterwards and pick one up, good call on that though I think there were a few people who had to wait until November essentially before being able to step into a drivecentre.

living in Canada and deciding to by a bike
is an irrational want, not a need
so you should treat yourself and buy now
but agree a used one is best for first bike
you will in all likelihood have a driveway dump
and until you've been riding for a few years
may not know what sort of rider you'll end up being
ie: commuter/weekender, tripper, bike club dude etc......
so don't get a ton of dough tied up in the first one

Went with a used buy (a well-loved Honda Rebel 250).

Definitely a nice feeling, was able to get it insured for pretty cheap too.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Went with a used buy (a well-loved Honda Rebel 250).

Definitely a nice feeling, was able to get it insured for pretty cheap too.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I bet regardless if it was the one you truly wanted but you must have the biggest smile on your face choosing to get on the road this year as opposed to waiting another 6-7 months.

As long as there's no snow or rain coming down or on the ground. Gear up.. w/ added layers of course. There is plenty of riding season left to get in some good KM

Also, there is nothing stopping you from trying to resell the bike next season to buy something else.

Back
Top Bottom