First accident | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First accident

It is getting to be too late expect your premium to double or more for the next 6 years. This will raise your car rate as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Why would it raise your car rate?

Insurance rates are based on risk. Accidents show you as a higher risk - rates increase for all your insurance
But having a claim on your motorcycle policy will not show up on your cars' insurance record. Ask me how i know.

But having a claim on your motorcycle policy will not show up on your cars' insurance record. Ask me how i know.
This may be one of those situations that only occasionally get triggered. If you are a getting a new auto policy, they always ask you if you have any recent at-fault crashes. At that point, the correct approach is probably to ask if this is limited to autos only. Otherwise you run the risk of future cancellation for material misrepresentation. If you are continuing a policy, they never ask the question. If they ever get angry that you were supposed to call them and report the crash, your argument about bike vs auto seems reasonable to me.

This may be one of those situations that only occasionally get triggered. If you are a getting a new auto policy, they always ask you if you have any recent at-fault crashes. At that point, the correct approach is probably to ask if this is limited to autos only. Otherwise you run the risk of future cancellation for material misrepresentation. If you are continuing a policy, they never ask the question. If they ever get angry that you were supposed to call them and report the crash, your argument about bike vs auto seems reasonable to me.
  1. FZ09 was written off last year thanks to a left turner. Out of curiosity i inquired with my insurance if i had been at fault would the claim carry over to my auto insurance record. Answer No.
  2. Immediately called Auto Insurer to ask if any at-fault Motorcycle claims would affect my Auto Insurance rates. Answer No.
Again, in this instance my car and bike policies are with different insurers.

:whistle:

Now, if memory serves,the questionnaire or what not asks about recent at fault claims for specifically Auto. But that could be just my memory sucking or the happenstance of my own company. If so, then you would certainly not be providing false information by declining to mention it.

If anyone has experienced anything to the contrary hopefully they chime in.

1. FZ09 was written off last year thanks to a left turner. Out of curiosity i inquired with my insurance if i had been at fault would the claim carry over to my auto insurance record. Answer No.
  2. Immediately called Auto Insurer to ask if any at-fault Motorcycle claims would affect my Auto Insurance rates. Answer No.
Again, in this instance my car and bike policies are with different insurers.

:whistle:

Now, if memory serves,the questionnaire or what not asks about recent at fault claims for specifically Auto. But that could be just my memory sucking or the happenstance of my own company. If so, then you would certainly not be providing false information by declining to mention it.

If anyone has experienced anything to the contrary hopefully they chime in.

My car’s with a different insurance company.

Rev ON

What I was told after my last accident from my own insurance company (as well as other insurance companies when I was shopping around for a new policy) is that your driving record affects both car and motorcycle rates, but your claims only affect the type of vehicle the claim was filed under.

What I was told after my last accident from my own insurance company (as well as other insurance companies when I was shopping around for a new policy) is that your driving record affects both car and motorcycle rates, but your claims only affect the type of vehicle the claim was filed under.
Exactamundo, because your licence is common between the two.

Good point. So at this point, OP is probably stuck with an at-fault crash as an insurance company has a documented record that it happened. This will likely affect rates on both his car and bike. He may have the opportunity to cancel the bike claim which would remove a second hit to his bike insurance (although at-fault may already be enough to make insurance crazy).

Last edited:
FWIW, when I had an at-fault claim about 9 years ago in a car, some insurance companies said it would effect my motorcycle insurance rates and some say it wouldn't. I'm a bit skeptical on the "will NOT be counted for a moto policy", as I was quoted for $3500/yr on my first year (18 years old) for a CBR125 liability only with Jevco (now Intact). Might've been the "Newly licensed rider bit", but I remember other new riders my age were able to get policies for the same bike at around $2200-$2500.

Might depend on each insurance company's policy.

It will however need to be reported that you had 1 previous at-fault claim (regardless of which vehicle you're insuring).
Some companies as for 6 years history, some ask for 10. If my memory serves me correctly, DesJardin and TD count 10 years.

I am paying significantly less now though... ~$55/mo for a Ninja300...

It will however need to be reported that you had 1 previous at-fault claim (regardless of which vehicle you're insuring).
Some companies as for 6 years history, some ask for 10. If my memory serves me correctly, DesJardin and TD count 10 years.
Not so sure about this based on the discussion with my own company.

Thank you so much for the advice brother. They’re going to send an appraiser to the towing yard soon. Can I cancel my claim after he gives me an estimate? My deductible is $500. Right now I’m paying $90/month for insurance, which is pretty decent for my age (25). How much approx will it increase by?

Rev ON
If your injury might cost you millions in lost wages, pain and suffering AND/OR you plan to give up on riding -- continue, otherwise drop the claim.

Get some additional opinions, but here's what's likely to happen if you proceed.

The insurance appraiser may write off your bike - -even if the damage looks minimal. Insurance companies tend to do this for a couple of reasons, first crashed bikes that are repaired add to risk, second an at fault claim will trigger a monumental increase in insurance costs -- at 25 you're probably looking at $6K a year. They do that to scare you away... or provide them with enough incentive to cover their higher perceived risk.

Bikes that are written off go to auction where curbsiders or dismantlers pick them up and repair or part them out. I have an licence to buy at auction, I see the adjuster reports, I can usually fix a lightly damaged bike for 20% or less than the repair appraisal.

Not so sure about this based on the discussion with my own company.

Typically the question is phrased as "How many at-fault claims have you made in a motor vehicle in the last 6/10 years?". To which I would tell them that it happened in a car. (Not saying you're wrong, just my experience with 4/5 different companies over the last few years - Jevco, TD MM, Intact, Statefarm, and DesJardin)

If you say 'None' and they pull your drivers abstract, you have essentially misrepresented yourself.

I have had companies say the car claim wont effect my motorcycle rate, and that may be true, but in my experience, my rates quoted rates were around $500-$1000 more than separate quotes I obtained as if I had a clean record. (Car at-fault claim was not my car, and was with a different insurance company).

Currently I'm with Des Jardin and they ask for the last 10 years.

Last edited:
Typically the question is phrased as "How many at-fault claims have you made in a motor vehicle in the last 6/10 years?". To which I would tell them that it happened in a car. (Not saying you're wrong, just my experience with 4/5 different companies over the last few years - Jevco, TD MM, Intact, Statefarm, and DesJardin)

If you say 'None' and they pull your drivers abstract, you have essentially misrepresented yourself.

I have had companies say the car claim wont effect my motorcycle rate, and that may be true, but in my experience, my rates quoted rates were around $500-$1000 more than separate quotes I obtained as if I had a clean record. (Car at-fault claim was not my car, and was with a different insurance company).

But this is exactly my point, the companies do not look at the alternative vehicle type policy/claim at all.

Claims are on your drivers abstract? :unsure:

My recent ticket I received ( DISOBEYING SIGN ) driving my car - increased both my motorcycle and vehicle rates.

My recent ticket I received ( DISOBEYING SIGN ) driving my car - increased both my motorcycle and vehicle rates.
of course, because driving record affects your licence which is shared between all policies. Claims are not (apparently).

But this is exactly my point, the companies do not look at the alternative vehicle type policy/claim at all.

Claims are on your drivers abstract? :unsure:

Apologies, confused claims vs accidents on record.
Depending on the drivers abstract you get. It seems if you get your "Statement of Driving Record", it includes accidents as well.

Wish I could find mine from a few years ago to confirm.

If your injury might cost you millions in lost wages, pain and suffering AND/OR you plan to give up on riding -- continue, otherwise drop the claim.

Get some additional opinions, but here's what's likely to happen if you proceed.

The insurance appraiser may write off your bike - -even if the damage looks minimal. Insurance companies tend to do this for a couple of reasons, first crashed bikes that are repaired add to risk, second an at fault claim will trigger a monumental increase in insurance costs -- at 25 you're probably looking at $6K a year. They do that to scare you away... or provide them with enough incentive to cover their higher perceived risk.

Bikes that are written off go to auction where curbsiders or dismantlers pick them up and repair or part them out. I have an licence to buy at auction, I see the adjuster reports, I can usually fix a lightly damaged bike for 20% or less than the repair appraisal.

Holy ****, $6K a year?? That’s pathetic. I’m paying $1,100 a year right now.

I saw the bike today, very minimum damage. They’re yet to send an appraiser, but will send my bike to the dealership before that. So if I cancel the claim, I’m gonna have to pay for the time my bike’s been at the yard, and then for 100% repairing of the bike?

Can I cancel it once the appraiser comes back with an estimated cost to repair the bike?

Rev ON

Holy ****, $6K a year?? That’s pathetic. I’m paying $1,100 a year right now.

I saw the bike today, very minimum damage. They’re yet to send an appraiser, but will send my bike to the dealership before that. So if I cancel the claim, I’m gonna have to pay for the time my bike’s been at the yard, and then for 100% repairing of the bike?

Can I cancel it once the appraiser comes back with an estimated cost to repair the bike?

Rev ON
if you`re going to cancel, you should do so ASAP, as you said you may be incurring ongoing costs.

I have never had any accidents in the past, this was my first accident, and it was at-fault.
I’m paying $1,100 a year right now, I heard that it might go up to $6,000 a year upon renewal.

Someone in the post mentioned that even with minimal damage, the appraiser might write it off.

Rev ON

Back
Top Bottom