Finally bought a road bike after a lifetime of waiting | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finally bought a road bike after a lifetime of waiting

NuggyBuggy

Site Supporter
I rode trail as a teen in the Port Perry area. I always wanted to buy a road bike but my parents wouldn't let me: when I moved to California for grad school I told them I was going to buy a bike and to stop me, they bought me a car.

Fast forward thirty years, and I was spending last summer/fall working from the cottage due to COVID when I realized it would be the perfect place to have a bike and I no longer needed my Mom's permission. Did the M1 test the next day, took the course for the M2 at Georgian College a week or 2 later. Looked at bikes but no insurance would touch me until one ticket came off my record in February.

Since February, after agonizing over bikes (came close to buying a Ducati Scrambler, BMW G310R, Harley Street Rod 750, MT-07, a 98 Triumph, etc. etc.) I thought I had settled on either a Svartpilen 701 or the new Triumph Trident 660. I made a 2-h trip to a dealer who sold both, only to find he had just sold the 701 before I got there, and the wait time was unknown for the Trident which I knew I couldn't bear. I was practically begging the guy to sell me *something* but he couldn't prep a bike faster than 2-weeks.

The next day I was in Stouffville and saw a 2020 Z400 which I really liked. They could prep the bike within a few days so I sat down to do the paperwork. Maybe 20-seconds after I signed my name, I get an email from another dealer saying he had a 2019 Z400 for $1000 less. I felt sick.

Anyways, I should be picking up my new bike on Wednesday. Insurance is lined up. I live in downtown TO but I will be keeping my bike up at my cottage primarily. If anyone knows of very relaxed riding groups that meet up anywhere in the Orillia/Gravenhurst area, let me know !

I rode trail as a teen in the Port Perry area. I always wanted to buy a road bike but my parents wouldn't let me: when I moved to California for grad school I told them I was going to buy a bike and to stop me, they bought me a car.

Fast forward thirty years, and I was spending last summer/fall working from the cottage due to COVID when I realized it would be the perfect place to have a bike and I no longer needed my Mom's permission. Did the M1 test the next day, took the course for the M2 at Georgian College a week or 2 later. Looked at bikes but no insurance would touch me until one ticket came off my record in February.

Since February, after agonizing over bikes (came close to buying a Ducati Scrambler, BMW G310R, Harley Street Rod 750, MT-07, a 98 Triumph, etc. etc.) I thought I had settled on either a Svartpilen 701 or the new Triumph Trident 660. I made a 2-h trip to a dealer who sold both, only to find he had just sold the 701 before I got there, and the wait time was unknown for the Trident which I knew I couldn't bear. I was practically begging the guy to sell me *something* but he couldn't prep a bike faster than 2-weeks.

The next day I was in Stouffville and saw a 2020 Z400 which I really liked. They could prep the bike within a few days so I sat down to do the paperwork. Maybe 20-seconds after I signed my name, I get an email from another dealer saying he had a 2019 Z400 for $1000 less. I felt sick.

Anyways, I should be picking up my new bike on Wednesday. Insurance is lined up. I live in downtown TO but I will be keeping my bike up at my cottage primarily. If anyone knows of very relaxed riding groups that meet up anywhere in the Orillia/Gravenhurst area, let me know !
welcome to the club (finally), wear gear and be safe!

Congrats. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you wanted to do this as cheaply as possible you would have bought used. With crazy covid supply, be happy you got something you like. Enjoy the bike and ride safe.

Welcome! Glad you finally got to it, it's a good time. And up by the cottage area you got excellent roads! Far better than downtown TO!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Congrats. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you wanted to do this as cheaply as possible you would have bought used. With crazy covid supply, be happy you got something you like. Enjoy the bike and ride safe.
Thank you ! I did seriously look at buying used and would have been ecstatic to save money. Looking on Kijiji, AutoTrader, etc all night long, it felt like I had a second full-time job. The thing is used prices are ridiculous ! I sometimes see people asking *more* for a 2019 or 2018 than dealers are listing the bike for on the same websites ! I just didn't see paying even close to retail for a bike with unknown history and no warranty.

Congrats on your new bike and all the best! The thing with the used market is that you need to patiently wait and time your purchase. Lots of factors involved including luck. As long as you're enjoying the motorcycle, I think that's all that matters :)
Thank you ! I did seriously look at buying used and would have been ecstatic to save money. Looking on Kijiji, AutoTrader, etc all night long, it felt like I had a second full-time job. The thing is used prices are ridiculous ! I sometimes see people asking *more* for a 2019 or 2018 than dealers are listing the bike for on the same websites ! I just didn't see paying even close to retail for a bike with unknown history and no warranty.

Oh yeah - I did buy all my gear before I bought the bike !

My kid: "Dad, why are you buying a helmet when you don't have a bike" ?
Me: "Because I'm going to buy a bike"
Kid: "But what if you don't buy a bike ?"
Me: "I'm going to buy a bike"

I like how your kid thinks tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom