Filtering: It's this simple | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Filtering: It's this simple

This is the deal here in Queensland Aus - and I tell you when it gets hot ...it's a life saver

Lane filtering rules
Lane filtering is when you ride your motorcycle at low speed between stationary or slow moving vehicles travelling in the same direction you are. The 2 lines or lanes of traffic must both be travelling in the same direction. If one of the lines or lanes is a dedicated turning lane (left or right) you must not lane filter using this lane.

You're only allowed to lane filter in Queensland if you hold an open licence for the motorcycle you are riding and:

• your speed when filtering is 30km/h or less
  • it's safe to do so.
You're not allowed to lane filter:

• at a speed more than 30km/h
  • in school zones during school zone hours
  • if you're a learner or provisional licence holder
  • when a 'no filtering' sign applies to the length of road
  • if it isn't safe.
A motorcycle rider is not allowed to use a bicycle lane to lane filter.

To ensure pedestrian safety, lane filtering is only allowed between stationary or slow moving vehicles, not between a vehicle and the kerb.

Rules for riding on road shoulders
If you hold an open licence for the motorcycle you are riding, you can ride on road shoulders and in emergency stopping lanes on major roads—such as highways, freeways and motorways past stationary or slow-moving traffic if:
  • the speed limit is 90km/h or more
  • your speed is 30km/h or less
  • you give way to bicycle riders or other motorcycle riders already using the shoulder
  • you are not riding on any unsealed parts of the road
  • there are no roadworks
  • you are not in a tunnel
  • it is safe to do so.

Thats exactly what i do. I turn, acknowledge the driver i cut in front off and give a wave of thanks.

Now i (unlike 90% of people on the road it seems) look ahead when i commute, so i can see the light is green and traffic will start moving, so i pick my entry point ahead of time and ease my way in.

To this day, not a honk, scream, or road rage incident.
I'll remember to lay on the horn, just in case it's you. They don't honk, because you've already wasted too much of their time; if they honk you'll simply waste more. People on motorcycles are too doh headed and slow to be allowed to filter. I'd end up driving right over them, if I accelerated at my normal rate when the light turned green. You're not as good or as fast as you think you are, just don't do it.

Because:

Taken from: Motorcycles Handbook

Currently the risks are viewed as outweighing the gains.

I believe it was only made legal in California because riders were passing out in traffic due to congestion and the heat.
California put it into place to ease congestion. They have an extensive highway network that moves very slowly through massive urban areas. By allowing motorcycles to lane split, they use the road with almost no traffic load AND they eliminate a fair amount of air pollution. It's just efficient.

It's only legal up to 55MPH -- the speed limit anywhere you'd need to split lanes.

I only saw them mention splitting, not filtering. Completely different as when you are filtering the cars are not moving ;)
i would say splitting is when traffic is not moving and filtering is when you move through traffic in motion, but i've seen it used both ways.

I'll remember to lay on the horn, just in case it's you. They don't honk, because you've already wasted too much of their time; if they honk you'll simply waste more. People on motorcycles are too doh headed and slow to be allowed to filter. I'd end up driving right over them, if I accelerated at my normal rate when the light turned green. You're not as good or as fast as you think you are, just don't do it.
Honk all you want, i could care less.

As i said, it's dangerous, i accept the risk so no need to worry about what i do.

California put it into place to ease congestion. They have an extensive highway network that moves very slowly through massive urban areas. By allowing motorcycles to lane split, they use the road with almost no traffic load AND they eliminate a fair amount of air pollution. It's just efficient.

It's only legal up to 55MPH -- the speed limit anywhere you'd need to split lanes.
i stand corrected!

Lol checking your mirrors would never prevent something like this from happening, who the hell stares at their mirrors at a stop light anyways? Even if you see a car coming at you at 50km/hr while your stopped you have almost 0 time to react regardless if you have an escape route or not. Also good luck judging if that car is actually going to stop or hit you at 50km/hr. Stuff like this is unavoidable without filtering

Stuff like this is unavoidable without filtering

Of course, because you say so. And "nobody watches their mirrors" when stopped.

I see.

My response: It's avoidable. Watch your mirrors. :rolleyes:

Of course, because you say so. And "nobody watches their mirrors" when stopped.

I see.

My response: It's avoidable. Watch your mirrors. :rolleyes:

A more obvious and safer option would be coming to a stop on or near the edges of the lane so any car not stopping would most likely end up rear ending the car in front of you. But I'll take your advice and keep my eyes glued to my mirrors at a stop, hopefully I got some ninja reflexes that I haven't discovered yet

A more obvious and safer option would be coming to a stop on or near the edges of the lane so any car not stopping would most likely end up rear ending the car in front of you.

That could help.

You could also leave more space.

You could stop in a position that gives you an out.

You could also leave your bike in gear and be prepared to move off rapidly, if, when watching your mirrors while stopped, you see you're about to get hit. That could happen if you're behind another car, or with no cars in front of you at all.

They teach all of those nifty things at motorcycle safety courses. Ever taken one of those? Some of it's even in the MTO handbook, actually.

Last year I was watching a fellow rider lane splitting. He waited behind the two front vehicles. then pulled away with the traffic at a normal pace. Absolutely nobody honked or seemed upset. Tbh, I was impressed.
He/She was an experienced rider. Good for Him/Her.

Last year I was watching a fellow rider lane splitting. He waited behind the two front vehicles. then pulled away with the traffic at a normal pace. Absolutely nobody honked or seemed upset. Tbh, I was impressed.
He/She was an experienced rider. Good for Him/Her.
It's all good until you run into Baggsy apparently.

I really hope I don`t run into Baggsy or him me. For coffee maybe but not boom, boom. Lol.

If I ever ride street again I hope I run into him lol

If he tries to run me over, he better make sure to kill or incapacitate me. Otherwise he's gonna find out what happens when you try to kill a really jacked asian guy with anger management issues that spent their childhood getting beaten to a pulp and forced to take wing tsun >=)

(Seriously, why do asian parents think it's a good idea to beat their children but also put them into martial art classes?!)

Better have a gun and/or crowbar to finish the job Baggsy!

REALLY?? did you even bother to read, what was being discussed??? The person I quoted was suggesting it should be made legal, so police on bikes could filter to catch people texting etc. At NO time was there mention of a cruiser. Try to follow the bouncing ball, and realize WHAT is being discussed.

Just because you can't wrap your head around why it isn't legal is immaterial. What matters is what the current legislation is... perhaps someday just like weed it will become legal as for what the ticket would be, really depends upon the officer writing it. You could get a simple ticket for two vehicles in a single lane OR you could catch a S172.

To me to save .8 seconds isn't worth the risk of a 7 day seizure and 7 day suspension, not to mention the insurance hit....

But as for you, and all others that do it, doesn't affect me in the least so ride on.

How is a cruiser going to manage to make it between 3-4ft of still traffic though? That's not safe. Not like we are blazing through slow traffic on the highway swerving lane to lane putting other lives at risk (filters, not splitters). When its 30c and the traffic is dead stop at a light, there are 30 cars all burning fumes into the atmosphere...why not filter to the front? and what would the ticket for filtering be anyways? We aren't putting other peoples lives at risk while they are sitting still waiting for a light to turn.
I dunno...grey area, some people will chirp, some will agree....but lots of people on bikes don't give a rats asch and will do it anyways.
Not trying to be lippy or anything...I just can't wrap my head around why FILTERING isn't legal. I just don't see anything wrong with it other than people in cages getting jealous they are moving slower

First off your position simply isn't supportable. The number of motorcycles being rear ended while stopped at a light is MUCH less likely than a car being rear ended. Therefore, obviously, we just need to ban traffic lights, to make rear end collisions "avoidable"

If your so convinced that your position is the right one, I have always said if you TRULY believe in a cause then you should be willing to take the consequences involved with that belief, then I invite you to filter up beside a cruiser, then get the ticket and go to court, give your explanation to the JP and let us know how it works out for you.

After all, if you truly believe this is the ONLY way to avoid being rear ended, then you will be happy to educate the JP, and if you fail then be just as happy to accept the consequences. Otherwise your just another "self important and entitled" rider.

Lol checking your mirrors would never prevent something like this from happening, who the hell stares at their mirrors at a stop light anyways? Even if you see a car coming at you at 50km/hr while your stopped you have almost 0 time to react regardless if you have an escape route or not. Also good luck judging if that car is actually going to stop or hit you at 50km/hr. Stuff like this is unavoidable without filtering

First off your position simply isn't supportable. The number of motorcycles being rear ended while stopped at a light is MUCH less likely than a car being rear ended. Therefore, obviously, we just need to ban traffic lights, to make rear end collisions "avoidable"

If your so convinced that your position is the right one, I have always said if you TRULY believe in a cause then you should be willing to take the consequences involved with that belief, then I invite you to filter up beside a cruiser, then get the ticket and go to court, give your explanation to the JP and let us know how it works out for you.

After all, if you truly believe this is the ONLY way to avoid being rear ended, then you will be happy to educate the JP, and if you fail then be just as happy to accept the consequences. Otherwise your just another "self important and entitled" rider.

Are you off your meds? I never admitted to lane splitting and my post was countering at the people saying "O well this would never happen if you looked at your mirrors at a stop light". If any of you "seasoned" riders were in the same position as the guy in the video, you would be in the hospital

?

Last edited:
If I ever ride street again I hope I run into him lol

If he tries to run me over, he better make sure to kill or incapacitate me. Otherwise he's gonna find out what happens when you try to kill a really jacked asian guy with anger management issues that spent their childhood getting beaten to a pulp and forced to take wing tsun >=)

(Seriously, why do asian parents think it's a good idea to beat their children but also put them into martial art classes?!)

Better have a gun and/or crowbar to finish the job Baggsy!
Perhaps you already did.
Around 15 years ago, while I was traveling down Blue Jays Way to make a right onto Front St,
in the left tire track of the right lane, someone on an SS split between the traffic and decided to pull in beside me.
Needless to say, he ran into my back tire with his front trying to get in beside me.
At the light as I'm about to turn, he passes me in my lane, and goes straight through.
All I could do was shake, shake, shake my head.
Please learn to actually ride, before blaming things on others, or what you're not allowed to do.

None of the splitters I've seen have looked like they knew how to ride.
Most looked like they were trying to compensate timewise, for their lack of skill.

Please don't run into me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few local roads in town that have wide enough space beside the parked cars to filter. No problems with that. Splitting, I hold off of doing. Traffic is a big pain. Regular travel time in non-rush to DT is 30 min....with rush hour, minimum 90 min.

Back
Top Bottom