Filtering: It's this simple | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Filtering: It's this simple

Well that's a shock considering the only place in North America it is totally legal is California.

ahh, the annual lane splitting / filtering thread........spring must be here

Tried lane splitting in California. Don't trust the drivers here. Filtering is alright...mostly.

It would take a three month PR campaign to educate Ontario drivers on how to behave regarding lane splitting. Without it, they would be ramming and blocking motorcycles as they tried to pass.

It would take a three month PR campaign to educate Ontario drivers on how to behave regarding lane splitting. Without it, they would be ramming and blocking motorcycles as they tried to pass.
please... till this day you still can't educate drivers to not block intersections/fire station even with signs or road marking. what makes you think 3 months PR would make a differences? especially people in Toronto gets too butt hurt when another car gets in front of them....

Lane splitting is perfectly fine in stopped traffic.

Nothing is gonna happen going 10-20KM between cars that isn't worse on the road or getting rear ended lol.

Nothing is gonna happen going 10-20KM between cars that isn't worse on the road or getting rear ended lol.

It's fine for us but like that game where the music stops and everybody has a seat except for one person. What do you do when the traffic starts moving again, snake in between the line of cars that you just passed? <- can you say road rage!

goes back to people gets butt hurt when you go in front of them. you know tons of people do some illegal/dangerous **** to get 2 cars ahead...

It's fine for us but like that game where the music stops and everybody has a seat except for one person. What do you do when the traffic starts moving again, snake in between the line of cars that you just passed? <- can you say road rage!
Thats exactly what i do. I turn, acknowledge the driver i cut in front off and give a wave of thanks.

Now i (unlike 90% of people on the road it seems) look ahead when i commute, so i can see the light is green and traffic will start moving, so i pick my entry point ahead of time and ease my way in.

To this day, not a honk, scream, or road rage incident.

Thats exactly what i do. I turn, acknowledge the driver i cut in front off and give a wave of thanks.
I know what you're saying, and some drivers are reasonable to motorcycles (like the ones driving cars but they ride motorcycles)
trying to picture that "turn", acknowledgement part without it seeming slightly dangerous when you are snaking moving traffic.

Assuming everybody is driving and maintaining a safe driving distance, (which I try to do most of the time)
and you cut in between me and the traffic in front of me, you just decreased my safe stopping distance by half plus your bike length unless you are tailgating.
:| great, now I could now get a ticket for tailgating if I don't drop back.
Would I let you do that, absolutely,
would I appreciate it <- what do you think considering I'm probably driving a 40 foot long vehicle at the time.

Filtering will work the moment they install a filter lane.

I know what you're saying, and some drivers are reasonable to motorcycles (like the ones driving cars but they ride motorcycles)
trying to picture that "turn", acknowledgement part without it seeming slightly dangerous when you are snaking moving traffic.
As wise Al Pacino once said
you could get killed crossing the street walking your doggie!

Like i said previously, almost always this manoeuver is performed in stopped traffic, but for the times i get caught moving back into the lane and traffic is flowing..

Riding is dangerous /shrug

There is plenty of evidence that filtering eases congestion and certainly offers a time saving benefit to riders -- this would be helpful in Toronto. I can see filtering being useful, lane splitting -- not so much.

Lane splitting gets more challenging, particularly in places like Ontario where lane selection and overtaking laws are not enforced.

An EXPERIENCED rider wouldn't "be exposed to this type of threat" They would have been checking their mirrors and as per the MTO road test, "leave yourself space to get out of the way". Had the rider not been right on the cage's rear end AND he was doing a mirror check there wouldn't be ANY threat.

This from a rider who was rear ended on the 401, be another RIDER, who had been lane splitting and weaving in and out of lanes, in stop and go traffic!!!

So therefore, I could make the argument that lane splitting IS indeed the "threat"...lol

We shouldn't be exposed to this sort of threat.

I don't lane split....but I filter quuuiiitteee often on the way home from work. Cuts off about 20 minutes of commuting a day = 1.5 hours a week = roughly 6 hours a month.
Dixie and Eglinton area to Burloak. Usually on my way to the 403 and then when I got off QEW at Burloak. I really don't see an issue with it if cars are completely stopped (eg waiting for a train)

An officer, performing his "duties" already has the ability to filter, Just as they have the ability to drive along the shoulder of the road, (as long as it is done so in a SAFE manner to other road users). Therefore, your position doesn't hold water, that you need to give the option to everyone so an officer could enforce rules of the road.

I think it would reduce that risk though I don't have firm stats at hand to back up any argument to insurance executives. According to NHTSA data from 2015, 7% of two-vehicle collisions involved being struck from the rear. That aspect of risk would go down for them. TBH, even if INSCOs didn't reduce rates because of reduced risk I would still feel safer not being stuck there like that...

I would also add that doing this would allow for much more effective policing of cell/device-distracted drivers by allowing police free-reign to bubble through stopped traffic on dual-sports picking offenders off, e.g.:

What's really simple is not stopping directly behind anything. Lanes here are wide enough that you can still be in your lane and have the car in front of you off to one side. better escape route.

An officer, performing his "duties" already has the ability to filter, Just as they have the ability to drive along the shoulder of the road, (as long as it is done so in a SAFE manner to other road users). Therefore, your position doesn't hold water, that you need to give the option to everyone so an officer could enforce rules of the road.
How is a cruiser going to manage to make it between 3-4ft of still traffic though? That's not safe. Not like we are blazing through slow traffic on the highway swerving lane to lane putting other lives at risk (filters, not splitters). When its 30c and the traffic is dead stop at a light, there are 30 cars all burning fumes into the atmosphere...why not filter to the front? and what would the ticket for filtering be anyways? We aren't putting other peoples lives at risk while they are sitting still waiting for a light to turn.
I dunno...grey area, some people will chirp, some will agree....but lots of people on bikes don't give a rats asch and will do it anyways.
Not trying to be lippy or anything...I just can't wrap my head around why FILTERING isn't legal. I just don't see anything wrong with it other than people in cages getting jealous they are moving slower

Last edited:
How is a cruiser going to manage to make it between 3-4ft of still traffic though? That's not safe. Not like we are blazing through slow traffic on the highway swerving lane to lane putting other lives at risk (filters, not splitters). When its 30c and the traffic is dead stop at a light, there are 30 cars all burning fumes into the atmosphere...why not filter to the front? and what would the ticket for filtering be anyways? We aren't putting other peoples lives at risk while they are sitting still waiting for a light to turn.
I dunno...grey area, some people will chirp, some will agree....but lots of people on bikes don't give a rats asch and will do it anyways.
Not trying to be lippy or anything...I just can't wrap my head around why FILTERING isn't legal. I just don't see anything wrong with it other than people in cages getting jealous they are moving slower
Because:

Taken from: Motorcycles Handbook

IV. Positioning
Lane splitting
In heavy traffic, some motorcycle and moped drivers try “lane splitting” by driving on the line between lanes of traffic. This is extremely dangerous. Do not do it. It puts you too close to other vehicles. Other drivers do not expect a vehicle to be in that space. Just a small movement, such as a vehicle starting to change lanes or a door opening, can cause a collision because there is no place else for you to go.

Currently the risks are viewed as outweighing the gains.

I believe it was only made legal in California because riders were passing out in traffic due to congestion and the heat.

Back
Top Bottom