Filtering: It's this simple | GTAMotorcycle.com

Filtering: It's this simple

Blackfin

Site Supporter
Mirror check, mirror check, mirror check. If he's not going to stop then move out of the way to the side (filter).
Somethings wrong with that video btw the lane positions flip after the accident. i.e. oncoming traffic goes from being on the left to being on the right.

yup

first portion appears to be from rider's helmet cam
not that it would have made much of a difference
but he is in the wrong lane position for RH traffic

next view is from another cam
and appears to be from LH traffic

Last edited:
Looks like the video got mirrored somehow. Not denying that it happened, or that it can happen, but the vid is a little odd. Also, definitely a good reason for filtering and lane splitting.

Poor camera took such a hit it turned the image inside out.
a theory based on the appearance of the AWD emblem on the side of the ram car .

How come all I see is "Unsupported video()" anytime anybody posts a link to a video ? I'm using the GTAM mobile app.

z8xn0AF.jpg

"We shouldn't be exposed to this sort of threat."

If they weren't doing stupid staged collisions....
In the first scene, there is a fence just to the right. After the camera goes flying and lands perfectly framed on the back of the white car, the fence goes away, just as the guy that supposedly just got rear ended gets off the bike and walks away like nothin' happened.
Nope.
I don't see how this, even if it was real, supports or doesn't support lane filtering.

Yeah, look in your mirrors when stopped.

And I agree, that video doesn't pass the smell test.

We shouldn't be exposed to this sort of threat.

We are always exposed to this kind of threat. I've avoided more than my fair share of collisions by keeping alert. I always leave 3m between me and the car in front -- even when stopped. I always watch cars approaching from the back when I'm stopped - always.

Another thing I do is let drivers coming up on me know when I'm braking. I can't believe how many motorcyclists gear down hard without signalling they are braking (engine braking). For safety sake, squeeze the brakes enough to light the brake lamp when your slowing down -- it can save a life (yours).

I have a habit of blinking my brake lights when stopped and cars are approaching. Though on my newer bike it has additional flashers that go on when I brake. I keep forgeting and flick my lever. lol

We are always exposed to this kind of threat. I've avoided more than my fair share of collisions by keeping alert. I always leave 3m between me and the car in front -- even when stopped. I always watch cars approaching from the back when I'm stopped - always.

Another thing I do is let drivers coming up on me know when I'm braking. I can't believe how many motorcyclists gear down hard without signalling they are braking (engine braking). For safety sake, squeeze the brakes enough to light the brake lamp when your slowing down -- it can save a life (yours).

All the brake light flashing isn't going to help when the driver behind is not paying attention. And I'd wager that leaving 3m in this situation would have led to a worse outcome; there'd be more time and space for the rider (or parts thereof) to re-enter the crush zone.

You want to reduce insurance costs for motorcycles in Ontario? Give us the option to move out of the crush-zone.

All the brake light flashing isn't going to help when the driver behind is not paying attention. And I'd wager that leaving 3m in this situation would have led to a worse outcome; there'd be more time and space for the rider (or parts thereof) to re-enter the crush zone.

You want to reduce insurance costs for motorcycles in Ontario? Give us the option to move out of the crush-zone.
You think that'll help? Put it to the insurance companies.

You think that'll help? Put it to the insurance companies.

I think it would reduce that risk though I don't have firm stats at hand to back up any argument to insurance executives. According to NHTSA data from 2015, 7% of two-vehicle collisions involved being struck from the rear. That aspect of risk would go down for them. TBH, even if INSCOs didn't reduce rates because of reduced risk I would still feel safer not being stuck there like that...

I would also add that doing this would allow for much more effective policing of cell/device-distracted drivers by allowing police free-reign to bubble through stopped traffic on dual-sports picking offenders off, e.g.:

I make sure I have an escape - I cling to either road edge but usually the left when stop until other cars are stopped behind me - I want a clear path to avoid being pinned....it becomes habit ....and yeah - watch the mirrors even when stopped.

That's why 3m, in gear. Leaves me space and a path to scoot between cars if I think the oncoming driver might crush me.

I want this to happen but it won't.

This board is split on lane splitting (I think most are against it) so inb4 some asinine reasoning coming from someone that's never lane split before.

Back
Top Bottom