Faster, Lighter, and Longer Motos than a 450? First Look - STARK FUTURE VARG Electric MX Bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Faster, Lighter, and Longer Motos than a 450? First Look - STARK FUTURE VARG Electric MX Bike

I didn't watch the video but I have been following the thread on vitalmx a little bit. Looks cool! A 80hp 242lbs dirt bike is kind of scary. 60hp 450's are too fast for me already.

I didn't watch the video but I have been following the thread on vitalmx a little bit. Looks cool! A 80hp 242lbs dirt bike is kind of scary. 60hp 450's are too fast for me already.
Reviewer says the power characteristics are configurable, so you can not only change the amount of power, but also the power curve (for example if you want the power delivery to be more like a 2-stroke instead of linear).

I see an aesthetic copy of a Honda CRF. It's not just me, right?

And when you're out in a farmer's field you can recharge it with pixie dust, right - or do you have to fire up your ICE generator ?
Range (which I believe their claims for are dubious), recharge time (between motos ?) and recycling are still huge issues.
They can get back to me when all those things are figured out.
Now, as basis for a flat tracker - hmmm....

And when you're out in a farmer's field you can recharge it with pixie dust, right - or do you have to fire up your ICE generator ?
Range (which I believe their claims for are dubious), recharge time (between motos ?) and recycling are still huge issues.
They can get back to me when all those things are figured out.
Now, as basis for a flat tracker - hmmm....

You don't think this can go for 1 hour on a charge? The "up to 2 hours" recharge is a bummer, though.

You don't think this can go for 1 hour on a charge? The "up to 2 hours" recharge is a bummer, though.
Range is mostly governed by how hard you push it and whether or not it has regenerative braking.
This thing is a moto crosser so it only has to last as long as the race, we'll have to see in the real world.
What type of charger does it need ? I doubt Type 3, again because you'll likely be somewhere out in the boonies.

I didn't hear a retail price in all that rambling. I don't imagine it will be the same price as your garden variety 450 (do they still make 450s?). Three things hold back E-motos: the price, the range, and the amount of time it takes to recharge. I really hope it is successful, but I'm not buying until lots of owners come back and say it is what they say it is.

I didn't hear a retail price in all that rambling. I don't imagine it will be the same price as your garden variety 450 (do they still make 450s?). Three things hold back E-motos: the price, the range, and the amount of time it takes to recharge. I really hope it is successful, but I'm not buying until lots of owners come back and say it is what they say it is.
I read somewhere $12K USD, so about the same as a Zero.

As far as I understand, 450's are still the standard for MX and all manufacturers sell them. Except Aprilia :(

I didn't watch the video.

I like the idea, but most motocross bikes aren't ridden exclusively in MX events. As TK4 implies they spend most of their time in areas without charging facilities.

KTM's Freeride has a swappable battery which I think makes more sense. I looked at a demo Freeride at GP bikes and it looks like fun, but at $12.5K it's too much for my use.

buy two, and the new f150 powerboost. keep one charging with the truck.

If it meets its claims it’s a great step up in the evolution of electric bikes.
As with most evs, it either hits power or range not both. It will be really interesting to see the battery life when ridden in anger. It has a 6 kwh battery. That means for a one hour ride you need to average 8 hp or so. Boo for fun. At 80 hp, assuming the battery didnt heat up too much and throttle you, you have <10 minutes riding between two hour charges. 80 hp for close to 10 minutes would be quite terrifying though.

Last edited:
As with most evs, it either hits power or range not both. It will be really interesting to see the battery life when ridden in anger. It has a 6 kwh battery. That means for a one hour ride you need to average 8 hp or so. Boo for fun. At 80 hp, assuming the battery didnt heat up too much and throttle you, you have <10 minutes riding between two hour charges. 80 hp for close to 10 minutes would be quite terrifying though.
Your on the right track for sure. Alta redshift had a 5.7 or 5.8kwh battery. On MX forums seems like most vet intermediate riders get about 20-30 minute motos on them.

On the other hand if what stark claims is true and that a MXGP level rider gets 40 minutes then this will give more then enough ride time for weekend warriors. Battery and EV tech is way beyond anything I know about so they could be completely full of it.

They have good people testing it anyways.

I’m out on buying from a new manufacturer. Maybe a couple years down the line. Hopefully this speeds up development from other OEM’s.

Your on the right track for sure. Alta redshift had a 5.7 or 5.8kwh battery. On MX forums seems like most vet intermediate riders get about 20-30 minute motos on them.

On the other hand if what stark claims is true and that a MXGP level rider gets 40 minutes then this will give more then enough ride time for weekend warriors. Battery and EV tech is way beyond anything I know about so they could be completely full of it.

They have good people testing it anyways.

I’m out on buying from a new manufacturer. Maybe a couple years down the line. Hopefully this speeds up development from other OEM’s.
The math doesnt work. Completely ignoring any discussion of efficiency (which they may be able to improve from current offerings), with a 6 kwh battery and 40 minute ride, you cant average more than 12hp. I would be very surprised if a mx bike ridden in anger used that little power. On the off chance that they are able to get some regen (mx seems unlikely as you have loose surface, sliding and rear wheel regen only) that improves things slightly but you are still <20 hp average. Start including losses (motor, controller, battery heating up, etc) and things are much worse.

Now, if the battery pack is more than 6 kwh, things improve but as I understand it 6 is already big for a bike.

The math doesnt work. Completely ignoring any discussion of efficiency (which they may be able to improve from current offerings), with a 6 kwh battery and 40 minute ride, you cant average more than 12hp. I would be very surprised if a mx bike ridden in anger used that little power. On the off chance that they are able to get some regen (mx seems unlikely as you have loose surface, sliding and rear wheel regen only) that improves things slightly but you are still <20 hp average. Start including losses (motor, controller, battery heating up, etc) and things are much worse.

Now, if the battery pack is more than 6 kwh, things improve but as I understand it 6 is already big for a bike.
I’m sure you’re correct. Your math is very similar to what I’ve seen elsewhere.

Regen may apply, 2 strokes freewheel but 4 stroke mx bikes can have quite a bit of engine braking even in low traction situations. I don’t know how the forces/drag differ between that and a electric motor. It might be a moot point since one of the features on this bike is the ability to alter the power delivery including reducing the engine braking.

Yeah mx pro’s are using way more then 12hp. It’s kind of ridiculous how they can hold 450’s WFO and modulate the power with the clutch. Just guessing but I imagine most trail riders are only using about 15-20hp the majority of time.

I will be interested to see how these do in the hands of end users later this year. For me it’s the best use of a EV.

Back
Top Bottom