FAST school. Who's going? | GTAMotorcycle.com

FAST school. Who's going?

sid_for_speed

Roll call for May 13, 14.

Any one from GTAM going?

Supposed to thunderstorm and rain like it's going be the end of the world...not sure how to ride in those conditions and how much we will learn..

That's a long way off yet. Forecast may change by the time those dates come around. Having said that, the weather gods have not exactly been kind so far this spring in terms of dumping water on us ?

Supposed to thunderstorm and rain like it's going be the end of the world...not sure how to ride in those conditions and how much we will learn..

I don't believe their forecast for 2 days ahead, Did the fast school in the 1992, it poured all day. The two fastest guys there crashed.
I think the course is great...... if it's dry.

I don't believe their forecast for 2 days ahead, Did the fast school in the 1992, it poured all day. The two fastest guys there crashed.
I think the course is great...... if it's dry.

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I'm going unless they cancel.
So who else actually is booked and going other than OP?

Racer , you going too?

K...atleast I'm not alone...cause they may or may not reschedule... certainly won't refund!

Racer , you going too?

K...atleast I'm not alone...cause they may or may not reschedule... certainly won't refund!

Yup I'm going too.

But they better not send people out there to crash just because they don't want to reschedule.

It rained one my my days back in 2002 (?) when I took FAST. I crashed once (low side Nelson #5 I think) for tune of $200 from memory. Got another bike for next session (first after lunch). Learning in the rain wasn't too bad, focus on smooth and no abrupt throttle or brake which is always good to learn. It rained cats & dogs in the morning and was sunny in the afternoon.

That said I am basically a dry weather track rider now. But back then I was eager and didn't mind some wet stuff for a ride.
Jeff

It rained one my my days back in 2002 (?) when I took FAST. I crashed once (low side Nelson #5 I think) for tune of $200 from memory. Got another bike for next session (first after lunch). Learning in the rain wasn't too bad, focus on smooth and no abrupt throttle or brake which is always good to learn. It rained cats & dogs in the morning and was sunny in the afternoon.

That said I am basically a dry weather track rider now. But back then I was eager and didn't mind some wet stuff for a ride.
Jeff

Did you borrow a bike or rent one from FAST?

It would suck if they let us out in crazy wet conditions, we're 'beginners' after all.

I did Fast School last year. It was freakin awesome. You're gonna have a blast!! Absolutely POURED rain all morning the first day, and to be quite honest I am kinda glad that it did. It really showed me how much grip motorcycles have in wet conditions and makes me feel alot more at ease when I get cought in the rain (light or heavy) moving on forward. The tires on the bikes they have there are sport street tires, not slicks....now if they have slicks, that would be a different story and we wouldn't be on the track. It's way too far away from the dates and the weather will probably change about 5 times or so haha.
Either way, if it does rain, don't worry about it, you will have a blast. Just watch out for turn 1 as there was a pretty large puddle there. Someone was blasting 130km or so around turn 1, hit the puddle (his line was off because I think he was focussing on puddle) and ate schit! Turn 5 is pretty tight too and someone infront of me also laid it down. With having said that, people were crashing in the dry conditions too. Just be smooth on the throttle and you will be fine :)

I did Fast School last year. It was freakin awesome. You're gonna have a blast!! Absolutely POURED rain all morning the first day, and to be quite honest I am kinda glad that it did. It really showed me how much grip motorcycles have in wet conditions and makes me feel alot more at ease when I get cought in the rain (light or heavy) moving on forward. The tires on the bikes they have there are sport street tires, not slicks....now if they have slicks, that would be a different story and we wouldn't be on the track. It's way too far away from the dates and the weather will probably change about 5 times or so haha.
Either way, if it does rain, don't worry about it, you will have a blast. Just watch out for turn 1 as there was a pretty large puddle there. Someone was blasting 130km or so around turn 1, hit the puddle (his line was off because I think he was focussing on puddle) and ate schit! Turn 5 is pretty tight too and someone infront of me also laid it down. With having said that, people were crashing in the dry conditions too. Just be smooth on the throttle and you will be fine :)

Appreciate the feedback!

Out of curiosity, what tires were you running?

I was using their bike as I don't have a dedicated track bike and didn't wanna lay down my daily ZX6R. They were sticking similar to my Pilot Power 2CT tires though. Didn't get a chance to look at the exact type, but from what I recall they were Michelin's

I run Dunlop.. so if it rains, then I'd like to see performance of those Michelins.

Mind you I can't lean worth a f^*#£ but let's see what they have to offer in the wet

I run Dunlop.. so if it rains, then I'd like to see performance of those Michelins.

Mind you I can't lean worth a f^*#£ but let's see what they have to offer in the wet

Q3+ are you're best bet. I know people who ran them in decent wet weather and on a drying surface with no problems.

Update. Just got an email from them saying they are still a "go"

All Ontario race tracks have their own very special weather systems. It can be 22 degrees and sunny in London, and +3 and flurries in Grand Bend,
Same goes for Belleville/ Shannonville, Mosport/Bonerville and Cayuga and the Hammer. they are all the same.

Don't even think of weather watching until 72 hours prior, even then its not really that accurate.

Did you borrow a bike or rent one from FAST?

It would suck if they let us out in crazy wet conditions, we're 'beginners' after all.

It was a rental bike. 2001 ZX-6R from memory. I had been riding for a while but I think this was my first track time and first time to FAST

Jeff

Fast would prefer you dont crash, your not trying to win the trackday. My school day it rained all morning, I learned how to hydroplane through a big puddle while leaned over without drama. If you want to race in the future better to learn rain riding from the pros then to hope for the best at your first rain race.

FAST 1 is not about learning to go balls out.
It's an introduction to track riding and will teach you how to pick a line, stay on a line through a corner, proper braking technique and body position.

Plus the bikes are limited to like 1/3 throttle so you aren't really going very fast.

Don't worry about a little sprinkling of rain.

Fast would prefer you dont crash, your not trying to win the trackday. My school day it rained all morning, I learned how to hydroplane through a big puddle while leaned over without drama. If you want to race in the future better to learn rain riding from the pros then to hope for the best at your first rain race.

Agreed about learning how to ride/race in the rain.

But the odds of you surviving an actual hydroplane in a puddle while leaned over are next to nothing. If you hydroplane, your tires aren't making contact with the ground, you're hovering on water, which will put you on your back faster than you can blink. MotoGP riders have crashed hydroplaning in a straight line.

Well.. it's gonna rain both Monday and Tuesday by the looks of it... Monday's gonna rain cats and dogs... gonna knee down in the Rain! :p

Back
Top Bottom