F800ST | GTAMotorcycle.com

F800ST

nice to ride, well enough made. Handles well, 6sp tranny is very smooth, I'm not tall or a big guy and the 800 worked well enough for me. BMW prices on parts.....

Good torque, very fuel efficient but I found the stock suspension lacking. There were quite a few recalls on the earlier builds including final drive bearings. If you do look at one run the ViN with a dealership to check.

Rode a rental in Europe for 2 weeks a few years ago. Good rental bike although I wouldn't buy one for myself (too middle of the road). Comfortable, nimble enough even with the soft suspension, very fuel efficient. Engine is coarse, doesn't have impressive power, and sounds awful.

I didn't like the riding position on it.

360 degree parallel twins do sound awful. Even an Akrapovic pipe couldn't fix that. I got rid of mine because it just wasn't reliable at all. Left me stranded a couple times.

Wallet breaker. Spend a couple of buck more for a full size Japanese ST.

I have an FJR that has had exactly zero repairs since it left the dealer lot. Zero in 6 years and 70,000km -- not even a light bulb. All she gets are tires, brakes, and fluid changes. Last valve check at 70K was still in spec.

Wallet breaker. Spend a couple of buck more for a full size Japanese ST.

I have an FJR that has had exactly zero repairs since it left the dealer lot. Zero in 6 years and 70,000km -- not even a light bulb. All she gets are tires, brakes, and fluid changes. Last valve check at 70K was still in spec.

don't really want a 1300 or close to that

these mid size beemers seem to depreciate quickly
several 8-9 year old examples with 25-30 K for 4 grand

an FJR or Conti or ST of the same year is double the price
I'm guessing the Rotax parallel twin may be a big factor
beemer buyers are usually looking for a boxer

I think the prices may be closer than you think. You also have to remember, you get what you pay for -- cheap bikes are sometimes.... cheap bikes. .
Check the owner forums on both bikes -- they usually share their ups and downs.

If you're planning any serious touring, operating cost and dependability are important considerations. Parts and service is very costly on BMW bikes, and BMW dealers are not everywhere. Breakdowns often mean returning the bike to a major urban center... and waiting your turn for service at a BMW or specialty dealer. Important when you're considering a bike that isn't recognized for it's dependability.

It's the same reason you can buy a 10 year old BMW 740 that sold for $100K new for less than a 10 year old Corolla.

just there was one listed here - F800ST that looked nice
got looking into them and there are several in great shape and well equipped
for very attractive pricing
I know it's not gonna be an FJR...
just with having 2 licensed - insured bikes
was looking to keep the costs down...purchase and insurance
but then there is the O/O of a BMW to consider

Just get a later model and keep the stock muffler on it. Agreed on the pricing, good value on a middleweight bike, especially if you can get the panniers with it.

My 2011 F800r has 85000 kms and has not let me down. Great handling and awesome brakes.

The ST is more touring focused and has a drive belt and higher gearing for more relaxed touring. The Current F800 GT is an evolution of the ST.

Very underrated bikes .

had an S for a few years, overall it was a great bike. light and tossable, lots of grunt, just wish it had another 20 hp and it would have been perfect for me.

Back
Top Bottom