EVOS Helmets??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

EVOS Helmets???

Bradsma

So I am in the market for a backup passenger helmet and stumbled upon EVOS helmets on the kapsco website. The helmets are DOT approved and only about 60 bucks shipped for a full face.

My question is has anyone tried or heard of these before?

This backup helmet will likely be used a half dozen times a year or less.

Is it cheap because it's poorly vented, heavy, padding is a bit hard or paint is cheap?

If it's DOT approved it has to meet a safety standard correct? I don't mind buying a cheap helmet if its because of the reason I listed as use will be minimal but do not want my passengers safety comprimised. Thanks.

If it is DOT approved it is as safe as the next helmet, they all go through the same testing. What you get with more expensive helmets is better materials, venting, etc.

If I was buying a passenger helmet for very light use, I would have no issue buying a $60 helmet so long as it met DOT, SNELL, or ECU.

Remember helmets have shelf life with regards to the effectiveness of the impact absorbing foam.
I would rather get a new helmet that's DOT checked than a clearance helmet that was sitting for years.

That's bullcrap. Styrofoam is stable. An unused helmet is an unused helmet.

i've written extensive posts on this over an over.

this entire thread is completely full of crap

I've just skimmed your past posts. Are you the guy who crashed, on those photobucket pics? Did you tell that story somewhere?

(Sorry for hijacking this bargain-bin helmet thread.)

Remember helmets have shelf life with regards to the effectiveness of the impact absorbing foam.
I would rather get a new helmet that's DOT checked than a clearance helmet that was sitting for years.

what is the "expiration of helmets?" I dont think i have ever seen a date in a helmet. i am sure they break down over timw, but what i sthat measured by usage? by a calendar date?

It is interesting, as hockey helmets have expiration dates. I cant recall, but i think it is 10 years. I the years that i coached minor hockey, only once had I ever seen a ref pay any attention to the date stickers

My Bell Vortex has a round sticker on the back, it was made sometime in 2011 (bought it last fall.) My Icon Alliance also has the date of manufacture printed on a label inside. Can't find a date on my Arai Vector 2 though.

Buy new and don't worry about the date of manufacture. The general rule of thumb is that a helmet you've worn for 5 years should be replaced. It's a common-sense type of suggestion.

Anyhoo, my original point was: I would trust Bell at any price point over something like EVOS.

I totally agree with this. It's not like styrofoam is a food product that's gonna go bad. If helmet manufacturers are putting expiry dates on their products now it's so they can't be held liable. Which is wrong IMO. Its common sense really, if I had ONLY one helmet with a passed it's "due date" I wouldn't be worried at all.

It's the same with hardhats at work. They supposedly are only good for ~5yrs. Well I can say that mine has saved my noggin' many times and it's not cracked. Again, common sense would prevail here. I wouldn't worry at all if a helmet costs $60.

Overtime,the eps liner gets hard and shrinks.I have a bunch of old lids in my garage.A couple of RF Shoei's that are about 20 yrs old are now about 3 sizes too big.An old Nava lid from the mid 70's is about 6 sizes too big.Really!

And btw.I have an Arai worth $800 and an HJC that cost $60 that i use right now for different types of riding.Common sense is a good thing.

Last edited:
If you don't care about the safety of your passenger, simply don't take one. If you want to buy a cheap helmet, look into the cheaper Bell, HJC, Scorpian, Icon helmets.

It boggles my mind that you would even consider that brand.

It's not about going down and the helmet breaking as it probably wont shatter but how well will they reduce the shock of an impact when your brain bouncing off your cranium?

These bargain bin helmets are for those who don't care if they become a vegetable and burden the people who care for them.

My Bell Vortex has a round sticker on the back, it was made sometime in 2011 (bought it last fall.) My Icon Alliance also has the date of manufacture printed on a label inside. Can't find a date on my Arai Vector 2 though.

Buy new and don't worry about the date of manufacture. The general rule of thumb is that a helmet you've worn for 5 years should be replaced. It's a common-sense type of suggestion.

Anyhoo, my original point was: I would trust Bell at any price point over something like EVOS.

Arai sometimes has the date stamped into the D rings

It boggles my mind that you would even consider that brand.
Why? It meets the same safety requirements as the others and is cheaper. Will it be as good quality wise? No. But this is for passengers a few times a year, if it were me I would do the same.

Thanks for all the input guys. If I do end up buying one of these helmets, perhaps a review is in order on at least initial quality, comfort, wind noise, etc...

If it indeed does pass the safety standards, it will protect as well as any other. As mentioned already, the higher prices helmets are for other factors...graphics, name, weight, comfort, etc.

Back
Top Bottom