Ever see one of your past loves for sale on Kijiji? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ever see one of your past loves for sale on Kijiji?

Super Ten owner? Review your bike. I bought a Wee to see if ADV bikes suit me -- I absolutely love it. I'm coming off a Hayabusa and ride an FJR while touring so while the 650 is great, after a year enjoying her I'm looking for a bit more snap. I have a soft spot for Yamaha's and think the SuperTen would be a great for me, just don't see many and have never found he chance to hear impressions from an owner.

I went through somewhat the same path. Bought a cheap Wee to test the ADV waters. Loved the platform, all day comfortable, able to load a stupid amount of luggage on it, able to handle the odd gravel road (well anything could, but have to justify it). Didn't really like the Wee, it was ok power wise without luggage, but found it lacking at highway speeds when loaded with luggage. Kinda boring to ride. It also had a scary steering wobble under certain conditions when loaded up.

When I was shopping for a replacement ADV, it was basically either the '13+ R1200GS(A) or the Tenere (an obvious copy of the beemer). I really wanted the beemer, but couldn't justify the price. I bought my Tenere for $11k (3yo, 30k km), where equivalent GS' were going for $20k. Considered the big KTM's, but they're not shaft drive and reliability is questionable. Considered the Strom 1000, no shaft drive, no cruise control, and it feels cheap. Multistrada is pretty, but $1k+ desmo service every 25k km was a no go, also no shaft drive. I forget what else I considered.

I have now put about 20k km on it and really like it. It doesn't do anything particularly well, but it's a good overall package that does what I want. It's definitely not fast, but has a decent amount of power to keep things interesting, doesn't care how much weight is on it. It is heavy and doesn't handle super well, but it's rock solid once you're in a corner. Probably the biggest fault lies with the fueling, it is very herky jerky when going off/on, supposedly an ECU flash fixes it, but I haven't done it yet. On the other hand, it's super steady full of luggage cruising at 130km/h. It has Yamaha reliability and simplicity. Good overall build quality, zero flimsy plastic anywhere. Electronic suspension, proper cruise control, shaft drive, heated grips. The dash isn't TFT, but is very functional and looks good. Perhaps most important, I dig the Dakar look of it

As I said, it's not amazing, but a really good overall package.

sYNwG9Cl.jpg

Had a 87' cbx250 for year and a half, sold that cause I "needed" something with a bit more of a snap for 5am highway speeds. Still a bit sad I sold it cause that bike was so much fun to ride. a year later, I saw that same cbx250 being listed again :p (Guess its time to move on for that bike) I had to remind myself, I don't have room for more then 1 bike.....

Its kinda funny, that bike had more owners then the years that bike had lived =P

Had a 87' cbx250 for year and a half, sold that cause I "needed" something with a bit more of a snap for 5am highway speeds. Still a bit sad I sold it cause that bike was so much fun to ride. a year later, I saw that same cbx250 being listed again :p (Guess its time to move on for that bike) I had to remind myself, I don't have room for more then 1 bike.....

Its kinda funny, that bike had more owners then the years that bike had lived =P
heres what mine looked like :)

I went through somewhat the same path. Bought a cheap Wee to test the ADV waters. Loved the platform, all day comfortable, able to load a stupid amount of luggage on it, able to handle the odd gravel road (well anything could, but have to justify it). Didn't really like the Wee, it was ok power wise without luggage, but found it lacking at highway speeds when loaded with luggage. Kinda boring to ride. It also had a scary steering wobble under certain conditions when loaded up.

When I was shopping for a replacement ADV, it was basically either the '13+ R1200GS(A) or the Tenere (an obvious copy of the beemer). I really wanted the beemer, but couldn't justify the price. I bought my Tenere for $11k (3yo, 30k km), where equivalent GS' were going for $20k. Considered the big KTM's, but they're not shaft drive and reliability is questionable. Considered the Strom 1000, no shaft drive, no cruise control, and it feels cheap. Multistrada is pretty, but $1k+ desmo service every 25k km was a no go, also no shaft drive. I forget what else I considered.

I have now put about 20k km on it and really like it. It doesn't do anything particularly well, but it's a good overall package that does what I want. It's definitely not fast, but has a decent amount of power to keep things interesting, doesn't care how much weight is on it. It is heavy and doesn't handle super well, but it's rock solid once you're in a corner. Probably the biggest fault lies with the fueling, it is very herky jerky when going off/on, supposedly an ECU flash fixes it, but I haven't done it yet. On the other hand, it's super steady full of luggage cruising at 130km/h. It has Yamaha reliability and simplicity. Good overall build quality, zero flimsy plastic anywhere. Electronic suspension, proper cruise control, shaft drive, heated grips. The dash isn't TFT, but is very functional and looks good. Perhaps most important, I dig the Dakar look of it

As I said, it's not amazing, but a really good overall package.

sYNwG9Cl.jpg
That's a very "Meh, it gets me there" motorcycle review. Pretty much what most S10 owners say though as I was considering one for a bit but got the Multi.

That's a very "Meh, it gets me there" motorcycle review. Pretty much what most S10 owners say though as I was considering one for a bit but got the Multi.

That's basically it. I was willing to trade shininess and performance for perceived reliability and value.

Saw my 1977 CJ360T listed last year. 30 years after selling for 10 times my purchase price. I also just sold my scooter and it's listed a week later for more than I sold it for. Told him to check insurance first !!

Saw my 1977 CJ360T listed last year. 30 years after selling for 10 times my purchase price. I also just sold my scooter and it's listed a week later for more than I sold it for. Told him to check insurance first !!

Really have to wonder how many are just middle men looking to make a buck and not actual riders wanting the bike

My friend has 2013 in blue, very nice looking package overall. I've only ridden it twice for a total of about 3 hours, I quite liked it. It just does everything you ask of it with no fuss.
The only thing I'd add to your thought is the power. It's not crazy powerful, but that big parallel twin makes power where you need it for "real world" riding. Nice healthy midrange means quiet relaxed touring, with power on tap any time you need it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I owned a 98,2000 and a 2001 ZX9. Just like you i have soft spot for those bikes.

One of these days i'll buy a mint one just to ride around on the weekends.

What are you riding now?

I went from the ZX9 to a series of other big bore Ninjas (12R, Zx14s etc)

Riding a Yamaha triple now. Lol

What are you riding now?

I went from the ZX9 to a series of other big bore Ninjas (12R, Zx14s etc)

Riding a Yamaha triple now. Lol

Smart man.
Those triples are hella nice

I took a run down the 507 on a MS last year, quite frankly I expected more. The bike handled beautifully, the steering was a bit light and I found it a bit twitchy. Compared to my Wee it was a killer. The specs for torque and hp excited me as they are similar to my FJR, however the performance wasn't -- frankly meh... a bit disappointing. I realize they are not in the same category, but the romp down the 507 isn't exactly a tough one, I expected the MS to hang with a heavy STs.

I took a run down the 507 on a MS last year, quite frankly I expected more. The bike handled beautifully, the steering was a bit light and I found it a bit twitchy. Compared to my Wee it was a killer. The specs for torque and hp excited me as they are similar to my FJR, however the performance wasn't -- frankly meh... a bit disappointing. I realize they are not in the same category, but the romp down the 507 isn't exactly a tough one, I expected the MS to hang with a heavy STs.
It's rated for 160hp but most reviews seem to say 130hp or worse to the wheel. Where as the S1000XR actually puts it down.

Any idea what engine mode and suspension mode you were in? Since everything on the bike is electric of course it has to be set up for your liking/preference. Coming off a few nice GSXR1000's I can def say the the MTS doesn't feel meh in comparison but it doesn't feel 160hp wild either. It does however come geared way too high and needs a +2R sprocket off the showroom floor (speed taken at wheel so no calibration required, and I haven't noticed any loss in mpg).
It's rated for 160hp but most reviews seem to say 130hp or worse to the wheel. Where as the S1000XR actually puts it down.
Yup, but the BMW is an inline 4 and makes 151 peak vs 131 Ducati and HP graph is equal until 9k where the BMW keeps making the extra 20hp. From 3-9k the Duc is making about 10ft tq more across that range which is where these bikes get ridden (well pretty much every road bike really).

Yup, but the BMW is an inline 4 and makes 151 peak vs 131 Ducati and HP graph is equal until 9k where the BMW keeps making the extra 20hp. From 3-9k the Duc is making about 10ft tq more across that range which is where these bikes get ridden (well pretty much every road bike really).
Yar.

Any idea what engine mode and suspension mode you were in? Since everything on the bike is electric of course it has to be set up for your liking/preference. Coming off a few nice GSXR1000's I can def say the the MTS doesn't feel meh in comparison but it doesn't feel 160hp wild either. It does however come geared way too high and needs a +2R sprocket off the showroom floor (speed taken at wheel so no calibration required, and I haven't noticed any loss in mpg).

The fellow asked if he could take my FJR for a run, I said ya. I jumped on his MS, he on my FJR and off we went, I did not adjust anything. I'm used to larger bikes, my point of reference was my 2 big girls; an FJR and my GSXR, both 1300cc inline 4s with respectable performance.

I guess my point is I didn't get a sh%^ eating grin -- I was expecting one. The fellow on my bike did.

I bought my CBR1000RR back from the guy I sold it to after a year. He put on <1000km and put new tires on it. Worked out pretty well ?

Back
Top Bottom